Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hello would like suggestions on whether to start a new channel or rename current one with a URL already created. We have toy channels for my son and daughter and would a vlog channel with them both. I just found a channel I created a couple years ago that's been inactive and has a URL.

Looking for suggestions if I should rename this inactive channel and use it for our vlogs channel or start a new channel from scratch? Also, will it effect our SEO with YT algo if the channel has been inactive or doesn't matter?

I read online YT will allow a URL change for channels with 500 subscribers?!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hello would like suggestions on whether to start a new channel or rename current one with a URL already created. We have toy channels for my son and daughter and would a vlog channel with them both. I just found a channel I created a couple years ago that's been inactive and has a URL.

Looking for suggestions if I should rename this inactive channel and use it for our vlogs channel or start a new channel from scratch? Also, will it effect our SEO with YT algo if the channel has been inactive or doesn't matter?

I read online YT will allow a URL change for channels with 500 subscribers?!

Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

(The YTtalk support/suggestions forum is specifically for YTtalk forum support, not YouTube. :) )

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
confused lol isn't this forum for YouTubers to talk about YouTube?

Imaginary Dave

Reaction score
I can totally see the confusion - it's a bit subtle with the overlapping names. I think the admin is explaining the original forum you posted in is for questions about support for YTtalk (this website) specifically whereas your question is for support on the actual YouTube site. I.e. you would post in the YTtalk support forum if you had a question about your actual YTtalk account, as opposed to your actual toy or Vlog channel where you upload your videos. Hopefully that clarified things as opposed to making them muddier. Regardless, you're in the right place now.

As to your original question though, I will defer to someone more knowledgeable - I came to this thread to see the answer myself! My gut, for what it's worth, is you might create a new channel just in case the all mighty algorithm might somehow hold the time period the 'old' channel has remained dormant against you in some way. That, and creating a fresh new channel might inspire you in some way.

Reactions: Derrick Toys

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for the clarification :) who knows but I'll start a new account for vlogs. You have a point with algo too! lol Good luck on your new channel!

javacentral

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel like if I were subscribed to one type of channel and they change to a different style of video, I may get turned off and you may lose some subscribers. Wouldn't hurt to start from scratch and experiment on it!

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would recommend a brand new name. Get a fresh start so to say. If that's the way you want to go.
My question to you, is are you not over extending yourself with 3 channels?

We run one channel, and it's pretty much a full time job, and I barely manage to do 5 videos a week. (This includes all the school time, family time, housework, homework, extra-curricular activities)

What sort of upload schedule are you going to have to run 3 channels. You need at least 3-4 videos/week/channel, making 9-12 videos/week.

The other thing I noticed, is successful 2nd and 3rd channels are usually started when the main channel is close to the 1M mark in subs, or more. Or the main channel has a very high rate of growth. That way you can divert massive amounts of traffic via Cards, End Screens, & comments to your other channel.

If you have a few hundred or a few thousand views on your main channel, you want to maximize growth on the main channel by keeping viewers there.

Also I think a second channel concept works when the actors (kids in our cases) have a high degree of fame. RTR can use Ryan to launch other channels, as they have done, as can Toy Freaks, the kids being recognizable and subscribable. For small channels like us, we don't have the fame nor brand recognition to draw subs and viewers to other channels.

I have wanted to start a 2nd channel for several months now. But I don't want to dilute my time. For the 20 hours/week I would spend on the new channel busting my guts to get to 1000 subs, I could have a much higher return on the main channel.

I recommend you study the additional channel strategies of TF, RTR, a few other big names, to see how they do it.

Just my thoughts. I would recommend devoting 150% of your time to building your main channel first. Once you hit 250k subs, then definitely start thinking about branching out.

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would recommend a brand new name. Get a fresh start so to say. If that's the way you want to go.
My question to you, is are you not over extending yourself with 3 channels?

We run one channel, and it's pretty much a full time job, and I barely manage to do 5 videos a week. (This includes all the school time, family time, housework, homework, extra-curricular activities)

What sort of upload schedule are you going to have to run 3 channels. You need at least 3-4 videos/week/channel, making 9-12 videos/week.

The other thing I noticed, is successful 2nd and 3rd channels are usually started when the main channel is close to the 1M mark in subs, or more. Or the main channel has a very high rate of growth. That way you can divert massive amounts of traffic via Cards, End Screens, & comments to your other channel.

If you have a few hundred or a few thousand views on your main channel, you want to maximize growth on the main channel by keeping viewers there.

Also I think a second channel concept works when the actors (kids in our cases) have a high degree of fame. RTR can use Ryan to launch other channels, as they have done, as can Toy Freaks, the kids being recognizable and subscribable. For small channels like us, we don't have the fame nor brand recognition to draw subs and viewers to other channels.

I have wanted to start a 2nd channel for several months now. But I don't want to dilute my time. For the 20 hours/week I would spend on the new channel busting my guts to get to 1000 subs, I could have a much higher return on the main channel.

I recommend you study the additional channel strategies of TF, RTR, a few other big names, to see how they do it.

Just my thoughts. I would recommend devoting 150% of your time to building your main channel first. Once you hit 250k subs, then definitely start thinking about branching out.

Yes I could never imagine managing 3 channels on my own let alone one! lol My daughter and son have their own toy channels but it's been a challenge managing both so I am going to start our new family channel which will be our main focus.

Just wasn't sure if I should use an old account or create new. As I read opinions here I think its best to start a new account. Thanks for the advice :) You have many valid points and I agree branching out later on for a bigger channel is great. Life is busy on its own with two toddlers lol its a lot to balance it all and YouTube is a great way for our family to bond.

Last edited:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
confused lol isn't this forum for YouTubers to talk about YouTube?
It is. =) -- But the YTtalk support forum is for specific issues with the YTtalk site. Issues such as not being able to get the signature channel link to work, wondering how to send PM's, or sometimes the site updates and creates a posting bug somewhere -- stuff like that goes into the YTtalk support forum. ^^

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It is. =) -- But the YTtalk support forum is for specific issues with the YTtalk site. Issues such as not being able to get the signature channel link to work, wondering how to send PM's, or sometimes the site updates and creates a posting bug somewhere -- stuff like that goes into the YTtalk support forum.

Thanks!