Youtube vs Amazon Prime

Have you considered putting your videos on Amazon Prime?

• Total voters

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I just went in and did it and it worked. Go into your video manager, click "edit" on a video, up at the top on the far right is "Subtitles/CC". On the right of the video you'll see, under "Published", "English (Automatic)". Click on that and on the left it will say "Actions" as a pull down. Click on that and you can download the subs in whatever format you want. You can add new subtitles/CC if you want, but it will automatically generate an English one. I think having that option on is the default.
I'm not seeing "Published". I know why however. Subtitles are Off in settings. Will turn on and see if I can do it then.

Result: Turning on is not possible. It wants me to upload a subtitle file, or listen to the video and type in each word I hear. There is one more way; I'm going to have to see if I actually scripted this video, and if so, paste the script for this hypnosis session into the relevant text area.

Last question: does turning on community contributions deactivate the automatic caption feature?
Giving up. I found the relevant Help Article and it clearly says IF automatic captioning is available for your video they will be published automatically. I don't think they made it available for anything I have done; and I have checked multiple videos now.

Last edited:

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not seeing "Published". I know why however. Subtitles are Off in settings. Will turn on and see if I can do it then.

Result: Turning on is not possible. It wants me to upload a subtitle file, or listen to the video and type in each word I hear. There is one more way; I'm going to have to see if I actually scripted this video, and if so, paste the script for this hypnosis session into the relevant text area.

Last question: does turning on community contributions deactivate the automatic caption feature?
Giving up. I found the relevant Help Article and it clearly says IF automatic captioning is available for your video they will be published automatically. I don't think they made it available for anything I have done; and I have checked multiple videos now.
I really can't tell you, 100% of my videos are subtitled, it's just automatic. It does give reasons why videos might not be automatically captioned though.

• The captions aren't available yet due to processing complex audio in the video.
  • The language in the video is not yet supported by automatic captions.
  • The video is too long.
  • The video has poor sound quality or contains speech that YouTube doesn't recognize.
  • There is a long period of silence at the beginning of the video.
  • There are multiple speakers whose speech overlaps.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
that's weird.. all Youtube of my videos (that i have checked) have had CC automatically added.
no biggie though because the auto YT captioning sucks and you have to redo much of it anyway.. if you use Final Cut, you can do it yourself, as easily as adding titles.. i'm sure that Premier Pro is just as simple.

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
you can upload VIDEOS to amazon, seriously what is this world coming to. Anything that pays huh. It's interesting, the infatuation with videos lately. Seems even major businesses know where it's at.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
you can upload VIDEOS to amazon, seriously what is this world coming to. Anything that pays huh. It's interesting, the infatuation with videos lately. Seems even major businesses know where it's at.
Amazon has a large (over 17 million) audience of people that watch Amazon Prime videos..
But, probably 95% of videos currently on Youtube would not be approved for Amazon - The video must be a movie/story/documentary, must be high quality, etc.. Not the krap so many people are barfing-out onto Youtube..

Last edited:

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Amazon has a large (over 17 million) audience of people that watch Amazon Prime videos..
But, probably 95% of videos currently on Youtube would not be approved for Amazon - The video must be a movie/story/documentary, must be high quality, etc.. Not the krap so many people are ******** out on Youtube..
right yeah, I'll give it a shot actually. I've found a new website to promote my channel now. Yayyyy.
It's worth a shot, high quality is debatable, and they might find one's stuff worthy.

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Other
As with one of the previous posters', I didn't know regular folk could post videos on prime!? What kind of content do you post there?

I have more cinematic videos that I feel I'd be inclined to try on Amazon, but at the end of the day they are still very youtube-esq videos...

Like I wouldn't think to post a vlog there, or is that a thing?

I would definitely think if I made a short film I would try it out on prime...

nickdodd.ca | NickDoddTV | twitter | instagram | YouTube

Last edited:

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
full length films, short films, documentaries, TV style shows..
they have to be high quality and they have to have closed captioning..
if you search Amazon for "Notarubicon" you'll see what we've posted. So far we have two stand-alone videos and series with 3 episodes.
it's not all Hollywood quality, but compared to most stuff on Youtube it's at least "above average"

Reactions: NickDodd