Youtube vs Amazon Prime

Have you considered putting your videos on Amazon Prime?

• Total voters

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I'm curious if anyone else has tried Amazon Prime as an alternative to (or in addition to) Youtube?

In the last month we've released 5 videos on Amazon. Four of them are free to view for all Amazon Prime members, and are also on Youtube. The other one is only on Amazon and is available for rent/PPV for $1.99.. We make roughly $1.25 from a rental, and make a few pennies from each view of the free videos.

So far, those videos have generated more income than they would have on Youtube and it looks like they are continuing to get a slow, steady amount of views, unlike 99% of our Youtube videos which get a lot of views (and income) in the first week or two, then dwindle down to nothing after that.. It seems that there is a whole other audiance of Prime video watchers that don't use Youtube, at least not for entertainment (probably mostly older people).

We are going to put several more videos that are already on Youtube on Amazon and are considering doing another "Amazon only" PPV video ..

What's your experience been?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I've avoided Amazon to date; as it was my understanding that one had to have closed captions on every video, and I have no idea how to do those. I'm going to have another look now.

Yep! Right here in the Creator/Distributor Agreement it says that. I've now completed the signup; lets see what they say about cc on instrumental music videos.

Last edited:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
assumes they will actually pay you. I hope so. I would only upload to youtube. I trust them, they are fair, ask for nothing, protect your IP, offer the biggest platform for video uploaders, have integrity and honesty. Can't think of anywhere else that cam make same claims.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Yah, you must have CC for any spoken wordage, so if you have 0 words, then your CC will pretty easy, but you still must upload the CC file, even if it's empty. Doing the CC is not that big a deal. It's time consuming if you do it yourself, and Final Cut Pro makes it pretty easy (dont know about Premier) ..You also have to upload artwork that is very specific as to the size and the text that is allowed to appear, but, again, not a big deal after you've done it a few times.
I guess this helps keep the riff-raff out![DOUBLEPOST=1544898081,1544897924][/DOUBLEPOST]
assumes they will actually pay you. I hope so. I would only upload to youtube. I trust them, they are fair, ask for nothing, protect your IP, offer the biggest platform for video uploaders, have integrity and honesty. Can't think of anywhere else that cam make same claims.
Uh, yah, Amazon will pay you... and I'm far less worried about a BS copyright claim or suddenly and unexplainably being banned by Amazon than I am with Youtube.. Basically, I trust Amazon, which has actual human beings to contact for support, way more than I've ever trusted Youtube..

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i didn't even know that was a possibility! the things you can sell on amazon never fails to amaze me. i'll definitely look into it though, thank you for sharing!

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've avoided Amazon to date; as it was my understanding that one had to have closed captions on every video, and I have no idea how to do those. I'm going to have another look now.

Yep! Right here in the Creator/Distributor Agreement it says that. I've now completed the signup; lets see what they say about cc on instrumental music videos.
If you also upload to YouTube, you can just download their automatic subtitles and upload it to Amazon, hopefully after looking at it to see how messed up they are because YouTube's autoCC sucks most of the time.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't even know how to apply the automatic subtitles/cc, let alone download them. PM me and explain how its done please?
YouTube automatically subtitles all videos, it might take them a little time for new uploads, but give it a week and it's there. Go into Creator Studio, pick the video you want the sub from, go into subtitles, select "English (Automatic)" and it will download an .srt for you.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
YouTube automatically subtitles all videos, it might take them a little time for new uploads, but give it a week and it's there. Go into Creator Studio, pick the video you want the sub from, go into subtitles, select "English (Automatic)" and it will download an .srt for you.
Aren't Closed Captions and Subtitles different? I am having a good deal of trouble finding that part you spoke of. If I select Download Missing.jpg English there is no (Automatic) beside it, and it wants me to upload rather than download a file.

Last edited:

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Aren't Closed Captions and Subtitles different? I am having a good deal of trouble finding that part you spoke of. If I select View attachment 42618 English there is no (Automatic) beside it, and it wants me to upload rather than download a file.
I just went in and did it and it worked. Go into your video manager, click "edit" on a video, up at the top on the far right is "Subtitles/CC". On the right of the video you'll see, under "Published", "English (Automatic)". Click on that and on the left it will say "Actions" as a pull down. Click on that and you can download the subs in whatever format you want. You can add new subtitles/CC if you want, but it will automatically generate an English one. I think having that option on is the default.