Youtube Comments are Making me Lose my Sanity.

Is my anger justified

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The commenter is wrong, but you're too angry

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • You should just be like slightly annoyed by this

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • You should go get some mint chip icecream (Please choose this one)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

hasanpasir88

Reaction score
Negative comments are way more beneficial for your channel than positive ones. I have a video that was a kind parody of an infomercial and it gets 90% negative comments that range from "I don't like this " to "You are an idiot and I hate your stinking guts". This video is my most popular video by a massive margin.

I used get all upset about it. Then I realized that it was the negative comments that were the driving force behind its popularity. Now I just say,

"Thank you for commenting and promoting my channel."
Yes they do spark up conversations and engagement which is good

atomicgirl24

Reaction score
I loathed the comments sections so much that I actually closed my account at YouTube for a few years to keep myself from being tempted into getting into flame wars with people. Then I started a new account. I'm noticing that comments are nowhere near as toxic as they used to be. They're just annoying, but not filled with the level of bile that I used to see. I'm thinking that Google+ might have been the reason. Trolls didn't want to have an account and so left to go post at other websites (like 4chan, Reddit, etc.),

MadBlaxe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Negative comments are way more beneficial for your channel than positive ones. I have a video that was a kind parody of an infomercial and it gets 90% negative comments that range from "I don't like this " to "You are an idiot and I hate your stinking guts". This video is my most popular video by a massive margin.

I used get all upset about it. Then I realized that it was the negative comments that were the driving force behind its popularity. Now I just say,

"Thank you for commenting and promoting my channel."
you're 100% right i know a story about rockstar hiring people to make negative comments about their games i dunno if its true but negativity attract people

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I know where you are coming from. Two of my most popular videos are 1 and 2 year old now and I still get comments on them. Some of them make either no sense to me or argue a point that literally five people in separate comments have already made. They don't read, they just want to get their own point out.

Just to share some of the fun, this guy made like 5 comments, three of which are on the same video.

"the hard shoulder is not used as an extra lane.its for emergency services to use if the road is blocked.or if you break down and cant go any further."
I have no clue anymore what I say in the video about the hard shoulder, but I'm pretty sure I never express any question about what a hard shoulder is for. I only argue I didn't know the term.

"the writing on the road are not writen in chalk."
Pretty sure I never mentioned chalk. Or if I did, that is obviously me misspeaking.

And my personal favorite:
"you cant blame the english for the rain."
I didn't?

Anyway, I've just not responded to these. They don't harm anyone, so I'm not deleting them, but I also haven't replied or thumbed it. I spend hours responding to exhaustive comments on how Holden isn't Opel but part of some kind of auto group whatever (really don't care), so at this point I just don't really argue anymore.

Oh, just found these as well. Posted on my video about Christmas in England:
"The History of Mince Pies. Mince Pies, like Christmas Puddings, were originally filled with meat, such as lamb, rather than the dried fruits and spices mix as they are today. They were also first made in an oval shape to represent the manger that Jesus slept in as a baby, with the top representing his swaddling clothes. As I understand it meat was the filing until the time of WW1 when meat became scarce, it was then that it went to being fruit filled. "
Nothing in the comment regards to the video, he just wanted to tell me the history of mince pies, I guess?

• Wow
Reactions: MadBlaxe

MadBlaxe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
And my personal favorite:
"you cant blame the english for the rain."
I didn't?

Oh, just found these as well. Posted on my video about Christmas in England:
"The History of Mince Pies
they are just haters they dont have a life first of all and they are too losers .... i wanna mention that your channel art is beautifully made /i think you re nice (i watched some of your vidz) and not trying to be rude in any means ,,, put some links to your social media accounts like you did in your last vid and finally you gaineda suband a friend i hope :)

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Trolls and haters are good for driving the engagement up, so I don't even delete their comments, they usually delete themselves after a while.

I recently got into a f-bomb and "you're an idiot" filled argument with a certain person named Kyle. His completely negative and worse, factually incorrect comment made me absolutely rage like a Barbarian.

I get how you feel, completely, but being bothered by those comments only ruins you - the people leaving the negative comments are already in that "hater mode" anyway and you showing them that you care and are willing to engage in keyboard warfare only fuels their hate even more.

The only thing I can't stop getting negatively affected by, since I'm more on the educational side of things with a slight tinge of entertainment, is when somebody calls me out about factual mistakes in my videos. Now, I don't feel as bad when THEY're the ones who are in the wrong. However, when they are RIGHT and I am WRONG, I just hate myself for not realizing the mistake before I uploaded the video and then I spend days thinking how stupid I am. It happens less often these days as I know more about the range of topics I cover in my videos than I knew a year and a half ago when I just started out, but every now and then, one slips through the cracks.

But we're all humans, we make mistakes.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
...The only thing I can't stop getting negatively affected by, since I'm more on the educational side of things with a slight tinge of entertainment, is when somebody calls me out about factual mistakes in my videos. Now, I don't feel as bad when THEY're the ones who are in the wrong. However, when they are RIGHT and I am WRONG...
I do mostly travel related vids. Recently I did a vid in a historical district of Iloilo, Philippines. The back story I gave was on every site I researched - and an official government page. So... of course an academic gets all huffy because I am repeating the "debunked" version. They said it was my responsibility to consult with an academic for the real story before posting. I just laughed at them and said I was NOT an educational channel. It is a travel channel, just look at the pretty scenery ha ha Usually I would ignore them, but they were being stuck up and silly about it. I just politely told them where they could put it.

John Frazer

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Sounds frustrating for sure, but as your title says you'll drive yourself insane worrying over the opinion of others. I realise it's easier said than done to just let it go, but just remember even negative comments help your engagement, and having 'haters' means you're reaching a wider audience (you have to reach some of the wrong people to find the right people).

In your case it's not even haters/trolls, it's just people misunderstanding by the sound of it. It's annoying, but it doesn't have any negative affect on you, you've done all you can do to make them understand. Unfortunately on the internet some people don't even want to see the truth. Best to focus on the people who do get it, and keep making content for them (and yourself).

Good luck. I recommend the ice cream option from your poll! :)

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
they are just haters they dont have a life first of all and they are too losers ....
Nah, they really aren't. Haters would just post 'you're dumb' or something like that. These are people who think they are giving genuine feedback but just absolutely miss the point xD

i wanna mention that your channel art is beautifully made /i think you re nice (i watched some of your vidz)
Thank you, I drew it myself! Glad you're enjoying the videos :)

• Love