Write A Video Credit In Your video and stay safe from copyright

ranailyas

Reaction score
hi experts. I've seen a lot of YouTube channels that cut out some of the videos from other channels and use them in their videos. And write “Credit: channel name “on this extracted clip. Can doing so protect us from copyright? please guide me. examples are down below.

Attachments

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
cut out some of the videos from other channels
when you say cut out some the the video, do you mean they are using a short clip from a longer video?
How much of the source video is being used and how long is the final video?

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Stating where you steal something from does not protect you from a copyright claim.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
sure, but if it's a 10 second clip from a 2 hour source video and it has criticism and commentary that might be fair use.

obviously if it's just copy and pasting the whole source video without any change or commentary it's most likely copyright infringement.

This is why
I asked for clarification from the OP before answering. With this, as with most legal things, the answer is "it depends".

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
“Credit: channel name “on this extracted clip. Can doing so protect us from copyright?
NO

Those doing so are doing it to give credit to others where it's due. It's more a CC-BY thing where you can use someones material as long as you give them credit for it. Essentially a requirement of a license to use content made under that license.

It's also more Academic. When watching a video where someone does this - like Smarter every day or Veritasium, Steve Mould, Matt Parker, any of Brady Haran's channels, i as the viewer can clearly identify content that is being used by them and not made by them, and almost always there'll be a link to the source so that if it tickles my interests i can go away and find more. This is super important for copyright as is shows that they are self identifying the content as not theirs and also giving credit.

You should take a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChBJtu4BhT8b8t9Qe9R-EZg for a better understanding of fair use, from an actual legal...

Reactions: ranailyas

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Smarter every day or Veritasium, Steve Mould, Matt Parker, any of Brady Haran's
These are probably the YouTube channels I've consistently watched the most. Throw in the Vlog Brothers and Vsauce. Also lol at "any of Brady's" he has like 100 channels.

I agree with your point of view but the OP was sort of unclear if that is what they meant. really I think it's somewhere between your reply and @cbpayne's reply. I wish the OP would reply to clear things up. . .

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
Its just a respect thing. The orginal creator can still pull your vid. So if you wanna be YT partner dont do it lol

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
true, but it also could be fair use.
how much of the video?

Is it a market substitute for the original work?
Is it commentary or parody or transformative?
Those are all things that would help determine if it's cool or not

1616894334709.png

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
true, but it also could be fair use.
how much of the video?

Is it a market substitute for the original work?
Is it commentary or parody or transformative?
Those are all things that would help determine if it's cool or not

View attachment 45495
Thanks bro, I had forgotten to add that.

Reactions: Nicekid76