Will monetization of my channel increase views of my videos/channel traffic?

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
:up2:

Oke, i watched a couple of your videos and i have some idea of why your videos are not doing too well in the YT discovery mechanisms. I think a lot has to do with the quality of your videos. In general I got a pretty good idea of where you were going with a specific video, and those ideas are good. But the execution could be done a lot better.

The thing that bothered me the most was the camera work. The camera work is arguably one of the most important aspects of your video.

1. It need to be steady;

2. There needs to be some thought going into what you are showing viewers and why, which is related to the image composition;

3. And besides camera work there are other ways of showing things to people, for instance capturing video directly from the computer or creating some custom graphics for your video;
What I saw in your videos was shaky camera work. Sometimes too far zoomed in which is uncomfortable to watch. The camera going from left to right, to left, to right, etc. Are you seasick yet? Yes I am :hungover2:! Sometimes showing things that have nothing to do with the subject of the video. And then there were the shots of the computer screen, using a simple printscreen or some capture software would have been the most efficacious way to show that in my opinion.

The audio, also very important in videos. Lets start by saying that commentating on the fly is very hard to do well. But you don't have to do it on the fly. There is nothing wrong with making a script, shooting the video and then recording the audio or vice versa. Editing it in such a way that it becomes a fluent whole.
The driving noise in your roadtrip videos, not the most attractive sound possible. For me it ruins what might have been a relaxing video with a nice bit of relaxing music or commentary in the background.

It all starts with quality content, and quality content is all about placing yourself in the position of a viewer. It doesn't all have to be perfect, but it is essential that you are thinking about improving: video, angles, frame, lighting, sequences, telling a story, having a script, the best way to convey an idea, etc. For me it's a fascinating process of which I am, like you, still at the beginning.

Hope some of this was helpful to you and i hope i wasn't too critical. Best of luck!
Yea, my camera sucks (shaky as heck).
I was very interested in your comment on the road trip video. I was about to delete it due to it being a bit too high of a liability given the 3rd party content involved. I actually uploaded it by accident a couple of months ago (at the time I couldn't figure out how to stop an upload...do now). I left it private thinking that would be for the best until I saw what the content id would do with it...since all hell didn't break loose, I left it on YT as private for a long time. Then I realized that I was at risk private or not, so I decided to publish it a few days ago just to see what a monetized video might do (monetized by YT that is).
But perhaps I could do as you suggest and just use the YT free music and dub over that (although I heard you couldn't download it for editing into your video). But that would probably be a waste of time perhaps.
In any event, I will need a new camera (with true mechanical image stabilization as that one has none). I agree, that the shaky video thing is a message I get all the time from YT, so that could be an SEO factor. The zoom is also an issue for the same reason...bad camera really. I constantly have to switch it into close-up mode, and often forget when pulling in or out...very annoying. Those tiny view screens are also hard for me to see clearly. I know what you are saying about the computer screen thing as well (working on it). I need to get a better editor to do better editing.
One video I was fairly happy with was my "Neodymium Magnet Introduction" video with is a few minutes long. I don't know if you saw that, but it was the most recent attempt to make a more appealing video. I was attempting to improve the overall viewer experience (within a practical extent) in this video.

But at the end of the day, I appreciate your feedback!

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
One video I was fairly happy with was my "Neodymium Magnet Introduction" video with is a few minutes long. I don't know if you saw that, but it was the most recent attempt to make a more appealing video. I was attempting to improve the overall viewer experience (within a practical extent) in this video.
Hadn't seen that one. It's definitely a step in the right direction. Liked the overall composition of the video, especially the first part that shows what the thingy can do, with some snappy fitting music in the background. Magnets are magical things :)

Reactions: Robert's Grip

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hadn't seen that one. It's definitely a step in the right direction. Liked the overall composition of the video, especially the first part that shows what the thingy can do, with some snappy fitting music in the background. Magnets are magical things :)
Thanks! I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to see it! I know I have a lot to work on (and much of it your advice will have to wait until it becomes more practical for my time and budget). A lot of improvement could be had when I upgrade my video editor (like I said in the video, it is a big audio headache to cut my videos too many times). That way I could filter out a lot of misc info not necessary (or just have a longer version of a given video for those that want more in-depth coverage, with an annotation of some sort for those folks to click on).
I have considered narration during editing, but the problem with me is that I just simply must do a video 'in the moment' so to speak. I REALLY come off particularly stale when I do it otherwise and tend to leave out a lot of details...its just how my mind works when it comes to technical subjects. I will have to live with the consequences of that and just do the best I can. Certainly in some types of video though, I can follow your advice.
I am glad you liked the tune...I am NO musician...but I am not afraid to try!

Hey, I really appreciate your taking the time to try to help me in particular! It often seems like an exercise in futility trying to get people to help. In fact many folks have been helpful here in general, and I think that is fantastic you would all put up with my long-winded comments! This is one of the few forums I have joined in all the years I have been on the internet, and I cant say it has been a bad experience.
I am particularly hopeful about the first couple of sentences of your original post...that perhaps monetization will help to some extent (especially with my main video with outside traffic draw)...perhaps it will boost it.
I just hope my theory about not having an AdSense account linked to my YT channel will offer some protection against that dreaded 'unusual click activity' costing so many people their channels! That scares the living hell out of me!

Thanks
Robert[DOUBLEPOST=1428528476,1428523436][/DOUBLEPOST]Pretty cool LEGO boat by the way. You should put some LEDs on it for nighttime sailing at some future point (LEDs are my field of expertise).
I'm glad you aren't one of those people that never narrates any of their videos...I really hate that!

Reactions: Kelkschiz

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I monotize my videos. I've made $6! Ha. Its not much but is is certainly a start! I have other friends who live off their youtube income via this process & selling swag of their brand. It takes a lot of hard work but it is possible.

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
There, I gave you a like and a space buck! I know, I have heard the stories of people doing that...but to me, I am WAY more worried about that 'unauthorized click activity' from AdSense killing my channel! That is a LOT of hard work down the drain!
Plus, I know my stuff will never be that popular...I am more of an engineer and inventor than a producer...my ADD doesn't help much either with things like this!

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There, I gave you a like and a space buck! I know, I have heard the stories of people doing that...but to me, I am WAY more worried about that 'unauthorized click activity' from AdSense killing my channel! That is a LOT of hard work down the drain!
Plus, I know my stuff will never be that popular...I am more of an engineer and inventor than a producer...my ADD doesn't help much either with things like this!
Ha Thanks man. And why are you so afraid of illegal clicks? Is someone targeting you? I haven't run into that issue yet. I only watch my own videos once after upload to prevent myself from causing issues.

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Ha Thanks man. And why are you so afraid of illegal clicks? Is someone targeting you? I haven't run into that issue yet. I only watch my own videos once after upload to prevent myself from causing issues.
Yea, I do the same thing...just because I don't want to mess my view count up! I don't CARE how many times I watch my own videos after all! But I have heard so, and I mean SO many stories of people loosing their channels, sometimes over just 6 clicks! Heck, I have even done THAT before several years ago for a video I really LIKED and thought they should get paid extra (not knowing I was probably killing their channel). So yea, I have heard some pretty F'd up stuff about this whole AdSense thing... hopefully, by not linking an AdSense account (don't even have one) to my YT, I can get the benefit (if any) of monetization without so much of the risk of AdSense at least. But that doesn't mean there is no added risk to just plain monetization though...so I am still a bit nervous.[DOUBLEPOST=1428530632,1428530599][/DOUBLEPOST]There, there's another space buck!

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yea, I do the same thing...just because I don't want to mess my view count up! I don't CARE how many times I watch my own videos after all! But I have heard so, and I mean SO many stories of people loosing their channels, sometimes over just 6 clicks! Heck, I have even done THAT before several years ago for a video I really LIKED and thought they should get paid extra (not knowing I was probably killing their channel). So yea, I have heard some pretty F'd up stuff about this whole AdSense thing... hopefully, by not linking an AdSense account (don't even have one) to my YT, I can get the benefit (if any) of monetization without so much of the risk of AdSense at least. But that doesn't mean there is no added risk to just plain monetization though...so I am still a bit nervous.[DOUBLEPOST=1428530632,1428530599][/DOUBLEPOST]There, there's another space buck!
You need google adsense to be paid by youtube.
Unless there is something I am unaware of?

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You need google adsense to be paid by youtube.
Unless there is something I am unaware of?
I don't care if I get paid or not...I just want any benefit being monetized may offer in increasing my views (if any), etc. Getting paid would be special if it where $6/1k views (and only if I had hundreds of thousands of views monthly), however that will never happen (unless you are partnered apparently...and that will never happen w/o many tens of thousands of subscribers, which will never happen). I would be happy with just a couple of hundred subscribers.[DOUBLEPOST=1428531291,1428531259][/DOUBLEPOST]Almost forgot your space buck!

Jack1505

PandaMan
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Monetization is a bad idea when your a smaller youtube channel as it's already hard to get a person to check out your channel and if you got 10subs and the first thing they see is a add. There most likely gonna leave.
I reccomend that you produce valuable content to