Will monetization of my channel increase views of my videos/channel traffic?

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
You're asking a primary question that unfortunately nobody can answer.

For starters, it stands to reason that YouTube, a profit centered company would prioritize videos that stand to make them money over videos that don't. This is simply the logical path.

However, there is no way to test it. Every video is different from the avenue of content, channel subscriber demographics, time of upload, etc. So there's no way to verify from an outside perspective whether or not logic matches reality. And YouTube sure isn't going to tell us how the algorithm works, so we're left guessing.

Reactions: Robert's Grip

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I am sorry for bombarding you again Kath, (if this is merged with my last post again...I am trying the "other options' button this time.

I have a theory. I have noticed on YT searches in the past that sometimes videos (in a search for one of my own videos) will show up high on the search results, although they have a really small number of views...yet sometimes those videos are actually many months old. I ask myself "why would that be?", when my video is either nowhere to be found (despite appropriate tags, tittle, description, etc) or much much lower on the list.
I read somewhere that the rankings in search are related to many factors including what your overall channel statistics are.
Now, on my channel, out of the original set of 5 videos on the Robo3D printer and the repair of its extruder I had exclusively on my channel from early Dec 2014 until late Jan 2015 or so, my view completion time was quite low. Now this was NO surprise to me since the videos are all fairly long. I knew that few people (except those that really want all the info they can get) will actually sit through such long videos in their entirety...they will mostly do as I do and 'skip around' in the videos...which is no surprise....I expected as much when I published them.
In any event, some of those long videos may have tainted my channel stats, giving me less than a fair chance at success with SEO.
So my theory is, that actually splitting my channel into several separate channels (like one for comedy, one for 3D printing, etc), may allow SEO to work on each independent channel separately, therefore increasing my SEO for newly introduced videos.

What do any of you think?[DOUBLEPOST=1428504310,1428503911][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're asking a primary question that unfortunately nobody can answer.

For starters, it stands to reason that YouTube, a profit centered company would prioritize videos that stand to make them money over videos that don't. This is simply the logical path.

However, there is no way to test it. Every video is different from the avenue of content, channel subscriber demographics, time of upload, etc. So there's no way to verify from an outside perspective whether or not logic matches reality. And YouTube sure isn't going to tell us how the algorithm works, so we're left guessing.
I can see the truth of what you said.
What is aggravating is the fact that each time I upload a video (as an unmonetized channel), there is always this friggin blue banner across the top saying something to the effect of "Grow your audience, monetize your channel and become a YouTube partner". That would seem misleading to say the least if monetization does nothing to grow your audience! But I certainly can see why YT would want to have as many sign up as possible and far be it from a large company to behave ethically!
I wouldn't have wasted so much time of mine (and you guys here) with this issue if it weren't for that blasted banner and all the potential pitfalls to actually following its advice!

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
What is aggravating is the fact that each time I upload a video (as an unmonetized channel), there is always this friggin blue banner across the top saying something to the effect of "Grow your audience, monetize your channel and become a YouTube partner". That would seem misleading to say the least if monetization does nothing to grow your audience! But I certainly can see why YT would want to have as many sign up as possible and far be it from a large company to behave ethically!
I wouldn't have wasted so much time of mine (and you guys here) with this issue if it weren't for that blasted banner and all the potential pitfalls to actually following its advice!
It's not misleading. Partnering your channel with YouTube enables a slightly different toolset of additional features that are useful in growing your channel.

GenericOP

Reaction score
I am sorry for bombarding you again Kath, (if this is merged with my last post again...I am trying the "other options' button this time.

I have a theory. I have noticed on YT searches in the past that sometimes videos (in a search for one of my own videos) will show up high on the search results, although they have a really small number of views...yet sometimes those videos are actually many months old. I ask myself "why would that be?", when my video is either nowhere to be found (despite appropriate tags, tittle, description, etc) or much much lower on the list.
I read somewhere that the rankings in search are related to many factors including what your overall channel statistics are.
Now, on my channel, out of the original set of 5 videos on the Robo3D printer and the repair of its extruder I had exclusively on my channel from early Dec 2014 until late Jan 2015 or so, my view completion time was quite low. Now this was NO surprise to me since the videos are all fairly long. I knew that few people (except those that really want all the info they can get) will actually sit through such long videos in their entirety...they will mostly do as I do and 'skip around' in the videos...which is no surprise....I expected as much when I published them.
In any event, some of those long videos may have tainted my channel stats, giving me less than a fair chance at success with SEO.
So my theory is, that actually splitting my channel into several separate channels (like one for comedy, one for 3D printing, etc), may allow SEO to work on each independent channel separately, therefore increasing my SEO for newly introduced videos.

What do any of you think?[DOUBLEPOST=1428504310,1428503911][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ranking factor is just complicated and most important top secret the secret is worth more than billion dollar, that Google would not share in any mean, but just necessary and general things. There are only guess theories including some known theory like page rank theory of Google for Google search.

YouTube is not very much different but it's different. To understand the ranking factors you need to learn a lot and not only that many successful peoples have own understanding that they learned from past and most probably won't share, I want to say not only you need to read around a lot but you need to learn thing by yourself.

Let me tell you, every keyword don't have same search queries it greatly varies, if search result are truly related than less than 10% serachers would go even fourth result in that particular page, if your video is related than those sitting above you, you'll eventually pick up. Keyword staffing here and there means over optimizing ur keyword only can hurt you, won't help you. Authority of a channel is a great yt ranking factor, if u and and a bigger channel go for a targeted keyword, you can't get to no where near him.

If you want my suggestion don't distribute ur content through various channels for seo perspective, one channel - more authority better position.

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's not misleading. Partnering your channel with YouTube enables a slightly different toolset of additional features that are useful in growing your channel.
I can certainly see where you are coming from (and that had recently occurred to me as well...like yesterday), but from a newbie standpoint, many would make the connection that 'commercials on videos' = 'incentive for YT (and G) to promote videos' = 'higher view rate' = 'grow my audience'.
Certainly not everybody would interpret it that way but trust me, many will. Clarification from YT's part on this would be nice, because this is certainly a valid way to interpret it, though it is based on assumption (which most people, in the absence of information are inclined to do).[DOUBLEPOST=1428506285,1428506168][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ranking factor is just complicated and most important top secret the secret is worth more than billion dollar, that Google would not share in any mean, but just necessary and general things. There are only guess theories including some known theory like page rank theory of Google for Google search.

YouTube is not very much different but it's different. To understand the ranking factors you need to learn a lot and not only that many successful peoples have own understanding that they learned from past and most probably won't share, I want to say not only you need to read around a lot but you need to learn thing by yourself.

Let me tell you, every keyword don't have same search queries it greatly varies, if search result are truly related than less than 10% serachers would go even fourth result in that particular page, if your video is related than those sitting above you, you'll eventually pick up. Keyword staffing here and there means over optimizing ur keyword only can hurt you, won't help you. Authority of a channel is a great yt ranking factor, if u and and a bigger channel go for a targeted keyword, you can't get to no where near him.

If you want my suggestion don't distribute ur content through various channels for seo perspective, one channel - more authority better position.
Interesting...[DOUBLEPOST=1428506359][/DOUBLEPOST]Isnt this constant merging of replies to different people going to confuse people?[DOUBLEPOST=1428507083][/DOUBLEPOST]I did notice that if you filter your YT search by date, your videos will come up in a decent way....but I fear that YT doesn't make this feature obvious enough (and in some ways intuitive enough) to where most people will use it...especially those that aren't more skilled YouTube viewers. It is not as noticeable as it could be.
For example, Amazon just changed their search tools on product reviews where the ability to sort by popularity OR by publication date is more obvious...which is a good thing.
This is an important (very important point) on YouTube since a typical YT search only ACTUALLY brings up 35 pages of results or so (not the 100k or more it tells you). It will stop actually feeding you results after that. So if your video isn't popular to begin with, it will remain buried in the default search result view likely well below the returned results heap, making it literally impossible for anybody to find you (via YT search) UNLESS they filter by date (and of course that will only last for so long).[DOUBLEPOST=1428507404][/DOUBLEPOST]

That is likely true. If I knew the secret I would tell everybody of it! I would make a video about it that probably nobody would ever watch!

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't know if its a coincidence or not but I did see a significant increase in the amount of views (roughly 50-100%) just after i started monetizing my videos. It could all be a coincidence, I just know that i noticed that at the time and i found it a curious.

That being said, i don't know what you do to get people to watch your videos, but it's not as simple as just posting a video. In general i found that videos need a boost to get the ball rollin' as it were. A video with almost no views will typically not rate well in search results and suggested videos. I do two things to get some initial views. The most important thing is that i am an active participant of several niche fora that are closely related to the content i make. When i make a video I will post those on several fora and other social media. Doing that is going to give me around a thousand views if it is a popular topic within the community. The other thing I do is SEO. I try to find out what people are looking for, how they are looking for that and try to include and repeat the relevant keywords, in tags, descriptions and titles. If you can get your video to rank on the first page of a popular search term that is going to give you a steady flow of views as well. Of course step one is essential to do well at step two. But I think the most important thing is to make quality videos because YT will quickly find out if people liked your video or not, if nobody likes your video, YT won't be inclined to recommend them to anyone.

So step one is making quality videos. Step two is getting some initial views, for instance by being part of niche communities. And finally good SOE will do the rest.

Ow and finally I would like to say that i am just a beginner, and there are probably i lot of things i forgot to mention like making attractive thumbnails... and stuffs! :)

Last edited:

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't know if its a coincidence or not but I did see a significant increase in the amount of views (roughly 50-100%) just after i started monetizing my videos. It could all be a coincidence, I just know that i noticed that at the time and i found it a curious.

That being said, i don't know what you do to get people to watch your videos, but it's not as simple as just posting a video. In general i found that videos need a boost to get the ball rollin' as it were. A video with almost no views will typically not rate well in search results and suggested videos. I do two things to get some initial views. The most important thing is that i am an active participant of several niche fora that are closely related to the content i make. When i make a video I will post those on several for a and other social media. Doing that is going to give me around a thousand views if it is a popular topic within the community. The other thing I do is SEO. I try to find out what people are looking for, how they are looking for that and try to include and repeat the relevant keywords, in tags, descriptions and titles. If you can get your video to rank on the first page of a popular search term that is going to give you a steady flow of views as well. Of course step one is essential to do well at step two. But I think the most important thing is to make quality videos because YT will quickly find out if people liked your video or not, if nobody likes your video, YT won't be inclined to recommend them to anyone.

So step one is making quality videos. Step two is getting some initial views, for instance by being part of niche communities. And finally good SOE will do the rest.
Fascinating! I will have to chew on that for a bit before I respond more thoroughly. I appreciate the detailed response![DOUBLEPOST=1428510936,1428509536][/DOUBLEPOST]
That being said, i don't know what you do to get people to watch your videos, but it's not as simple as just posting a video. In general i found that videos need a boost to get the ball rollin' as it were. A video with almost no views will typically not rate well in search results and suggested videos. I do two things to get some initial views. The most important thing is that i am an active participant of several niche fora that are closely related to the content i make. When i make a video I will post those on several for a and other social media. Doing that is going to give me around a thousand views if it is a popular topic within the community. The other thing I do is SEO. I try to find out what people are looking for, how they are looking for that and try to include and repeat the relevant keywords, in tags, descriptions and titles. If you can get your video to rank on the first page of a popular search term that is going to give you a steady flow of views as well. Of course step one is essential to do well at step two. But I think the most important thing is to make quality videos because YT will quickly find out if people liked your video or not, if nobody likes your video, YT won't be inclined to recommend them to anyone.
In general, I know there is much truth to what you are saying about YT favoring videos that bring external traffic to their site (makes plenty of sense really). I have had the same theory for awhile now.
When I published my first video, it was on the Robo3D printer. Now I snuck in a link in my Amazon review of this product to this video. That video is at 1,630 views right now. This external nature definitely shows up in the YT analytics...it only generates (seemingly) two views per day or so, but that has been enough for YT to at least mildly promote it in their searches and suggested videos (even though it only has 8 likes and 6 dislikes (Robo Trolls account for some of that...long story)). In any event, I have tried to duplicate that success on other product reviews, but with to little avail. I just got VERY lucky on the Robo since my Amazon review was not only helpful (except to the Robo Trolls), but has remained quite visible on Amazon for a long time now), but that turned into a popular enough product to generate at least the minimal outside traffic YT needs to see to at least keep it somewhat alive. The video averages 15 or so views per day (and is very long, so the actual viewer retention is low...but as I said in previous posts, that is no surprise), and most of that actually comes from YT, not the two views from external sources. So there is a small threshold there that helps boost you a bit...but not enough to still rank high in YT searches or suggested videos (or at ALL in Google these days).
I have tried to duplicate this success on my Neodymium magnet videos, but to little avail. This is a VERY popular topic with tekkies on YT (most videos have many thousands to hundreds of thousand views...most are monetized)...my SEO on theory should be quite good (proper, but not too many tags, proper title, etc)...but all videos I have released recently have had little play, and that just shouldn't be for that subject. The Amazon links haven't been working since the magnets I have reviewed aren't popular enough yet (my guess anyway).
That is why I was wondering if my channel was tainted due to low viewer retention due to those early and very long videos (see my earlier posts). I have heard this factors in to SEO on YT, so I thought that perhaps splitting my channel into, say a Nd Magnet channel, a Comedy channel, and leaving the rest as it is would help give future videos a better chance.
For example, on my comedy videos, the viewer retention is quite high (since the videos are generally only a minute or two long), so the viewer retention is good...so perhaps future videos could enjoy better YT favor that way.
What do you think??
Sorry for writing a friggin book, but I do like to be thorough (devil is always in the details).[DOUBLEPOST=1428511778][/DOUBLEPOST]Thank GOD... The site froze up, I thought my long comment crashed it! A reboot cured that!

Thanks for the like, I have $9 space bucks now...whatever that is!

Reactions: Kelkschiz

Robert's Grip

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Do you honestly want to know what i think? I am asking because i can be pretty blunt.
Go ahead, hurt me![DOUBLEPOST=1428513538,1428512686][/DOUBLEPOST]So doc, what is the prognosis?

I will take it with a grain of salt for the most part since you really don't know me. But your insight has already helped me a bit, so I do value your opinion.
Sorry if you are just busy, but that put me in suspense a little bit!

Reactions: Kelkschiz

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Go ahead, hurt me!
:up2:

Oke, i watched a couple of your videos and i have some idea of why your videos are not doing too well in the YT discovery mechanisms. I think a lot has to do with the quality of your videos. In general I got a pretty good idea of where you were going with a specific video, and those ideas are good. But the execution could be done a lot better.

The thing that bothered me the most was the camera work. The camera work is arguably one of the most important aspects of your video.

1. It need to be steady;

2. There needs to be some thought going into what you are showing viewers and why, which is related to the image composition;

3. And besides camera work there are other ways of showing things to people, for instance capturing video directly from the computer or creating some custom graphics for your video;
What I saw in your videos was shaky camera work. Sometimes too far zoomed in which is uncomfortable to watch. The camera going from left to right, to left, to right, etc. Are you seasick yet? Yes I am :hungover2:! Sometimes showing things that have nothing to do with the subject of the video. And then there were the shots of the computer screen, using a simple printscreen or some capture software would have been the most efficacious way to show that in my opinion.

The audio, also very important in videos. Lets start by saying that commentating on the fly is very hard to do well. But you don't have to do it on the fly. There is nothing wrong with making a script, shooting the video and then recording the audio or vice versa. Editing it in such a way that it becomes a fluent whole.
The driving noise in your roadtrip videos, not the most attractive sound possible. For me it ruins what might have been a relaxing video with a nice bit of relaxing music or commentary in the background.

It all starts with quality content, and quality content is all about placing yourself in the position of a viewer. It doesn't all have to be perfect, but it is essential that you are thinking about improving: video, angles, frame, lighting, sequences, telling a story, having a script, the best way to convey an idea, etc. For me it's a fascinating process of which I am, like you, still at the beginning.

Hope some of this was helpful to you and i hope i wasn't too critical. Best of luck!