Will changing a thumbnail reset the video like changing keywords will?

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am doing a lot of thumbnail changes and I am wondering if this will affect my video like changing video keyword tags will.

Reactions: 3hab

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
I think I had that happen to me before. My video lost some rank. Why not try it out on a video that isn't ranking well?

Reactions: 3hab

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
No it won't. Your thumbnail is not considered metadata in the same way as tags, title, and description. I have heard YouTube gurus recommending a change of thumbnail to refresh your videos, but never to change metadata.

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No it won't. Your thumbnail is not considered metadata in the same way as tags, title, and description. I have heard YouTube gurus recommending a change of thumbnail to refresh your videos, but never to change metadata.
Ah, thank you! I think I heard that too but wasn't exactly sure.

WoodenRailwayStudio

Youtube - for fun and profit!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am doing a lot of thumbnail changes and I am wondering if this will affect my video like changing video keyword tags will.
I agree with someone else who posted that it will not affect your ranking. Do and I really mean do, brand all of your thumbnails. Your videos will standout especially in the suggested video area. Your fans can easily spot your videos by your branded thumbnail. It will increase the number of views your channel will receive.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
I like to test things on YouTube so on Wednesday I came across this thread again and decided to give it a try on a video that I uploaded six months ago on my testing channel. The video was ranked on the 10th page position #6. Today (Friday) I remembered to check it again and the results are: page 9 position #14. That doesn't necessarily mean that changing a thumbnail will improve your ranking, but as I said before, whenever I've changed anything, whether it's something in the title, description, or even tags, there is a chance that your ranking will change for better or worse. This is why I recommend to leave a video alone if it's getting a respectable amount of traffic, because I've made the mistake of trying to improve an already successful video only to have it dropped from suggested videos, etc.

Last edited:

TheHerdLife

Reaction score
We just did it on a new video and wipe out all of our ranking on the video. But it was for the good because 12 hours later it came back better ranked than before.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ive had to change Thumbnails before and it has killed my vids. (From clickbait to non clickbait)

Reactions: TheHerdLife