Why Are Viewers Dicouraged When Subcribing to Small Channels but Not Big Channels?

Do you have less that 1k subcribers?

• Total voters

CallofBooty

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Maybe if there was some way to hide all statistics from your channel/videos, such as subs, views, likes, comments. Altough people would probably realize that your channel is small if you disabled all that.

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
I have some reasons to add:
- The chances a big channel is really good is a lot larger than a small channel to be good since you need to be good in order to get big. So the chances of me subscribing to a big channel are bigger since I only subscribe to channels I consider good, be it a big or small channel. (Most confusing explanation ever :p)
- Big channels have a lot more videos with a bunch of views, so they will come up in search results more often, so they will reach more people and gain more subscribers.[DOUBLEPOST=1438854443,1438854369][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe if there was some way to hide all statistics from your channel/videos, such as subs, views, likes, comments. Altough people would probably realize that your channel is small if you disabled all that.
You can hide your sub count but I wouldn't do that. It puts people off.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I'm talking about an average viewer and most people who make videos are not average viewers because they look at the entire platform in a different way.
that's a good point I never thought about. We understand the struggle when starting out so we understand more that 10 subs doesn't mean a bad channel.

Reactions: ProductionPeople1

Harpuia

That "creepy" guy that makes Youtube videos.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have less than 1000 subs but much of that is because I literally just started my channel. 2 1/2 weeks. The way people are talking, it kind of makes me feel bad because I'm just starting out. I'm happy to see the progress of where I am at, and I realize that it's going to be a lot of work to move up the ranks, but I plan to get there. :)

I think that some really good channels are still small. One of my favorite channels is heading toward 400 subscribers, and the guy is full of energy and excitement. :)

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
There's always been a strange stigma regarding situations like this. It can be likened to the film industry, the average movie goer assumes that the latest mega block-buster is guaranteed to be a hit because it's cost an insane amount of money to produce. I've had people argue with me regarding the Transformer movies, my opinion that they're poorly made and shallow films is shot down as incorrect because "dey made da most moni". Your average movie goer will go and see the next Michael Bay outing, but will likely avoid the works of Paul Thomas Anderson.

Basically there will be those that don't mind watching smaller channels and will do their upmost to help promote and assist them until the snowball effect comes out in to full force, but a lot of viewers will likely avoid less popular 'Tubers. "Less than 100 views? Pfft must be s**t". Yes it's a cynical way to look at it, but sometimes being cynical or pessimistic can lead to greater surprises and a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you produce something that people enjoy.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I love small channels! I'm always excited when I find small channels that are related to the content that I'm making, and/or my favorite hobbies. I think a lot of the people who use YouTube regularly are happy to support small channels that they like.

Big channels are..well..big....I think humans tend to like to join in on things that have already been approved by a lot of people (at least, that's how I am with new electronics..lol!). Plus, large channels already have a lot of searchable content made. More videos mean there is an increased chance of having the content viewed from a search. An increase in search hits creates an increased chance of videos being shared...I think that's where a lot of the "snowball effect" thing comes in.. Also, even if the video isn't one that the viewer wanted, the "related videos" on the right-hand side might show a video from the same large channel that interests the viewer.

I think that smaller channels might not have their channel's videos in the "related videos," since there haven't been related videos published yet from the same channel....A lot of popular search hits for a small channel's video might make the video end up as a "one-hit wonder" if there isn't any additional related videos to watch..

But I do think that large channels and small channels both have to work equally hard to sustain their audience's attention. If anything, I think more pressure is on the larger channels to aim to grow or sustain massive view rates.. YouTube is just fun hobby-time for us small folks. I don't think there ever will come a time when things "get easier" due to an increased subscriber number, but I'm a small channel, so I really wouldn't know. ^_^;;

Last edited:

KOHBEE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is interesting. I've thought about this a few times before. I think of it like friends in the school playground. Everyone at the beginning of secondary school wants to be "in with the cool kids". They don't care about who's personality they really like the most. They are more likely to attempt to become friends with the popular ones first. I was the same in year 7.
YouTube is similar, some people only sub to bigger channels even if they've also seen small channels with equally good content. This is the natural instinct to fit in with the crowd. They want to be subbed to channels which lots of others are subbed to, so they are part of the group. Some people think they shouldn't be subbed to smaller channels because it doesn't look cool. Just like a schoolkid wouldn't have a unpopular kid as his first potential friendship option on the first day of school.

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As for me I sub to anyone! I don't care if they have low subs than me because I see potential in that channel