Why Are Viewers Dicouraged When Subcribing to Small Channels but Not Big Channels?

Do you have less that 1k subcribers?

• Total voters

ProductionPeople1

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So I was chatting on someone else's thread about subscriber growth and how it's a snowball effect, and as you gain a bigger audience and more subscribers you gain more subscribers faster. Like a channel with 100 subscribers most likely doesn't gain as many subscribers a day (or any subscribers) compared to a channel with 10k subscribers. I think I know why that is. Obviously because that channel is bigger but also because a viewer doesn't feel as comfortable subscribing to a channel with 100 subscribers compared to the channel with 10k subscribers. Now I am sure most people watch multiple videos before deciding to subscribe to a channel but you may watch more on a channel with 100 subscribers compared to the one with 10k subscribers and I think that is because the one with more subscribers has that big audience and that shows you that they have already been able to have those 10k people subscribe so that tells a new viewer that this channel makes good content. But you probably feel more hesitant to subscriber to the channel with 100 subscribers because of the low subscriber count. Now I am not saying not to subscribe to a channel with 100 subscribers because they can still have awesome content but most viewers feel discouraged (or at least I do) to subscribe to the small guy. I think I am only subscribed to maybe 5-ish channels under 300 subscribers but I am friends with all of them either that is an online connection or I know them personally it just shows that most people are unlikely to the subcribe to the small channels and I just don't know why this happens.

Mr.Arobel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Well I feel it is a kind of apprehension (is that word correct?). People don't want to search for too long on youtube. for example If they search for a let's play about a game, and if there are 2 YTr that does it, they'll watch the one with most views and (or) subscribers. Because it is a factor of a good quality video. With the smaller one they don't know if the person is going to be dynamic, have a good sound/mic, if he's going to be funny (or not) and he's going to finish the let's play. Smaller audience on a video compared to another YTr can mean in people's mind, there's something less interesting in that person than this other one.

Reactions: ProductionPeople1

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
finding a video I love and binge watching a channel only to find they have few subscribers is a joy to me. I feel urged to share their content with others because they deserve more.

I honestly think very few people (other than in specific searches like Mr.arobel above said) are put off by a low sub count. Most are happy to find the ones with greater potential before anyone else discovers them

Brinkbabe91

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If I find a smaller channel that is really good I have no problem subbing to them. It's actually really cool to see them grow. I sort of get why people don't wanna sub to such small channels. Some small channels don't have a lot of videos and me I like to binge watch videos once I find a person I like but if there isn't a lot to watch I'm kind of sad haha maybe? Idk

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
It's easy to understand in some way; would you pick up a Cadbury bar or some bar of chocolate from a company you've never heard of? Assume same price.

I do watch a lot of people on YTTalk, I just watch anything that's enjoyable. ^-^ But a lot of people will watch those who are known because, well, they're known. :oops:

Brinkbabe91

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's easy to understand in some way; would you pick up a Cadbury bar or some bar of chocolate from a company you've never heard of? Assume same price.

I do watch a lot of people on YTTalk, I just watch anything that's enjoyable. ^-^ But a lot of people will watch those who are known because, well, they're known. :oops:
I like that analogy :)

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I may be wrong, but I think people automatically think something is wrong with a channel if the sub count is low. That's before they watch any videos. Then you have people like @Lightsen who don't fall into that category and people with small channels should be eternally grateful for. Like @RedFox said, most people will pick a popular brand over something with an unfamiliar name.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think I know why that is. Obviously because that channel is bigger but also because a viewer doesn't feel as comfortable subscribing to a channel with 100 subscribers compared to the channel with 10k subscribers.
You are entitled to your opinion but you have no proof. People don't subscribe to large channels because they have a lot of subscribers. They subscribe because they enjoy that content. The reason that they get more subscribers is because they have more people watching, more people enjoying the content, and statistically, they will get more subscribers.

Personally, I am subscribed to far more channels with 3-digit subscriber counts than I am channels with over 1000 subs.

Reactions: Ryan ToysReview

Marilia

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I subscribe for the content. If I see a small channel (~100 subs) that has great videos I will subscribe to them. Same thing if I see a big channel (~5k subs). And if that big channel stops making good videos I unsubscribe.

Now, it's good to note that I don't always find small channels. I mostly find big channels because that's what comes up first on the search

Reactions: Brinkbabe91

ProductionPeople1

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I subscribe for the content. If I see a small channel (~100 subs) that has great videos I will subscribe to them. Same thing if I see a big channel (~5k subs). And if that big channel stops making good videos I unsubscribe.

Now, it's good to note that I don't always find small channels. I mostly find big channels because that's what comes up first on the search
I'm talking about an average viewer and most people who make videos are not average viewers because they look at the entire platform in a different way.