Why Are Prank Channels Hated So Much?!?!

Should I Convert To A Prank Channel

• Yes

• No

• Do a mixture of videos

Results are only viewable after voting.

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I watch a lot of videos about growing your youtube channel. Most of them say the fastest growing channels are beauty, gaming, or PRANK channels. They have no problem with people making beauty or gaming channels. They actually might tell you to make one, but when they talk about prank channels it's always in a negative way.

I've been posting videos for almost a year now and I have barely seen any growth. I posted a prank video about three days ago and it instantly did well. The growth that I would see in two months I saw in one day!
Now the video is my most viewed video doing better than videos that have been out for ten months!

So now i'm at a cross roads. Do I continue making good content that will never be seen? Should I give in and convert my channel to a prank channel? Is there any way to make a prank channel without being hated by my peers?

I'm thinking about just continuing to post everyday then upload a prank video once a week. Now if I do that I feel like the only videos that will do well will be the pranks.

So should I convert to a prank channel or stay original?

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
On the subject of Prank channels. I don't like them because a lot of them are faked and mainly use clickbait to draw in views. Also, the whole notion of a prank is becoming more and more an excuse to just be a d**k to people. Personally I avoid that entire side of YouTube however, it has a strong audience with children and young teenagers who make up a large portion of YouTubes viewer base.

As for yourself doing it. I say do whatever you enjoy doing. If you wanna make that type of content then go for it, don't let what I think or what others think about prank videos stop you making what you want to make. Experiment with schedules and content type to find where your channel sites within the YouTube community!

Reactions: enteje and Devin

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Well I'm a similar situation and I'm gonna take the route of posting mostly videos that I know I do really well for a good while. The reality is, the smaller your channel is, the more narrow you should go once you find a topic that really works. Once you develop a big fan base, than you can start playing around more with other videos.

But the question you need to ask yourself is if you're happy mostly doing prank videos. If pranks are producing good results and growth for your channel, then forget what others are telling you.

10ACITY

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is an incredibly tough decision. People hate prank channels because often the pranks are staged. Prank channels are also generally very badly pieced together. It's just a very unprofessional scene. It's not necessarily the pranks that are the issue. Also, prankers aren't exactly growing society very well. Their impact just isn't very positive.

If you want to do this, go for it. Don't let the views seduce you if it was not actually any fun. Try to be the best you can be. Even if your market is not great, you can still have a classy and professional channel. I'm sure there are still respected prank channels out there. Be one.

Boyed

Reaction score
Most pranks are fake, creators tend to sexualize their videos by using women to attract desperate male views (which works btw)

ColbzVlogz

YouTube sensation
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I thought about doing the same thing actually. If you lived on the East Coast we could me up and collab. Pranks are straight as long as they aren't fake.

]The reality is, the smaller your channel is, the more narrow you should go once you find a topic that really works. Once you develop a big fan base, than you can start playing around more with other videos.
As for this, I tend to think it's the other way around. With a smaller audience and channel you can experiment with different things that will work. Once you get bigger people usually subscribed for a reason, being they like to see a general topic or type of video you post

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thought about doing the same thing actually. If you lived on the East Coast we could me up and collab. Pranks are straight as long as they aren't fake.

As for this, I tend to think it's the other way around. With a smaller audience and channel you can experiment with different things that will work. Once you get bigger people usually subscribed for a reason, being they like to see a general topic or type of video you post
Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. This is my time to experiment to see what works and so far pranks have been the only thing that seem to work, but I will continue to experiment and maybe do a prank every now and then.

P.s I live in Georgia I've been looking for a collab for a while now!

Ally Young

Reaction score
I mostly hate them because most are faked and plus being a jerk is not really much of a prank you know the old saying it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt well this would apply if they were real pranks.

ColbzVlogz

YouTube sensation
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. This is my time to experiment to see what works and so far pranks have been the only thing that seem to work, but I will continue to experiment and maybe do a prank every now and then.

P.s I live in Georgia I've been looking for a collab for a while now!
I live in Connecticut if you lived within 2 hours I would totally collab and do some pranks man. I need people that are driven like it am and I have a great name for a prank channel but for now I just do daily vlogs. Been going for almost 2 months now, I might do a few pranks I just need to find a wireless microphone that I can put on my shirt.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score

A Youtuber who has a subscriber base of 200k who got there by doing something very specific like gaming, making animations or whatever, can suddenly make Vlogs about his life from time to time. That Vlog won't get as much views for sure, but it has a much better chance to rank high in search compared to a smaller youtuber doing the same thing.

It's actually how I was able to pivot from affirmation videos which was more narrow to book reviews. Then from book reviews I could start talking about whatever if I choose.