When Is It Ok To Charge For Graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
I've been doing graphics for quite a while for other people and I want your opinion on when you think it's ok to make people pay for graphics. I've always done it for free, and eventually I am hoping to earn a bit of money from of it, only it is that I'm not sure is when should I try that out, or am I even good enough to charge people?

Any thoughts on this, or anyone who does charge for graphics know about when they decided to go paid? Thanks :)

Whenever you feel like you're experienced enough. When you start charging for your services people expect even better products/end results.

I would recommend starting the prices real cheap, then slowly moving them to the amount you would actually like. Also an online portfolio on Flickr or DeviantART might be a good idea?

I watched this video some time back and it actually give some decent advice on this particular matter.

He talks from an studio recording and mixing point of view, but what he says could easily be for any creative skill.

I think you should start charging people for Graphics once people are coming to you for graphics! It means they think you're good enough.

I think you should start charging people for Graphics once people are coming to you for graphics! It means they think you're good enough.

This is practically what I was going to say. At first I made graphics for free and I accepted any donations, but eventually people started coming to me, asking for me to make them graphics. So, I started to charge people a little amount.

This is practically what I was going to say. At first I made graphics for free and I accepted any donations, but eventually people started coming to me, asking for me to make them graphics. So, I started to charge people a little amount.
It's all about the supply and demand! :)

if you know your going to be putting in more than 2 hours of work, charge for it
I suppose it should take quite a bit of time but not everything is going to take to hours, like a thumbnail for example, and as everyone works ad different paces I'd think that it would be about the end result, rather than time right? :)[DOUBLEPOST=1404338510][/DOUBLEPOST]
Whenever you feel like you're experienced enough. When you start charging for your services people expect even better products/end results.

I would recommend starting the prices real cheap, then slowly moving them to the amount you would actually like. Also an online portfolio on Flickr or DeviantART might be a good idea?
That's a good idea :) I've got some stuff on devient art too already :)[DOUBLEPOST=1404338586][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually a few people have came to me, and I don't know how they found me but they did :p

I suppose it should take quite a bit of time but not everything is going to take to hours, like a thumbnail for example, and as everyone works ad different paces I'd think that it would be about the end result, rather than time right? :)[DOUBLEPOST=1404338510][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's a good idea :) I've got some stuff on devient art too already :)[DOUBLEPOST=1404338586][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually a few people have came to me, and I don't know how they found me but they did :p
i actually dabble in the desing business. I would suggest making your own website(this is mine: tinyurl.com/pmansite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back