What's your View On Machinima?

I don't see why he isn't free to make YouTube Channels as he please's maybe he might have a channel for IRL stuff and not wan't a machinima partnership what authority do they have to sue him just for making new channels.

Ask if he'll let you read his contract. Do a keyword search for "exclusive" and read the pieces. Most contracts specify exclusivity for the contract duration. It's a protective measure on the part of the company. Remember, he agreed to what is in the contract. Whether he understood it is irrelevant.

Now, it may be just non-competition in which case it would only prohibit channels of a type that compete with Machinima.

It's designed to stop someone from using Machinima to build up a nice subscriber base and then announce to their subscribers they're making a new channel, walking away with a new competing channel and a ton of subs for the deal. Perfectly valid and reasonable.

He has sent them numerous emails and they have not replied, from what I've heard Machinima don't let you out this from recent partners of machinima. He obviously read the contract and didn't seem to care if they were the network they appear to be. Obviously if they have crap support for him and they don't pay he will do anything to leave.
Then he can go to court over it. But I'm guessing your friend is under 21 and knows nothing about legal contracts. There's a loophole to keep him in there. All new contracts are under 3 years, and if he didn't want to be there that long, he shouldn't have signed. They don't have to give support, it's a nice option to have but they aren't legally required to. As for the non payment, he can sue, but I doubt he has the resources to.

This may depend on how long ago the clan signed theirs though. With 55K subs, over a year ago is still well within being a reasonable time when they were partnered.

Be careful counselling people on legal matters though. If your contract specifies exclusivity for the contract period, you CANNOT create another channel.

Well, I should quality that. You CAN in much the same way as you CAN drive through a red light. Wouldn't recommend it and it does have consequences though if you get caught.
You can create second channels, so long as it isn't meant to leave your partnered one out to dry. Say he wants a vlog or Minecraft channel (totally different niches) then he can. But if he wants to trickshot on a new channel, he's S.O.L. That's what I had meant

The contract locks in all of the channels he chooses to create during the period of the contract.

I often see people having problems with their support but apparently most of this comes from them emailing the general support email instead of their assigned partner manager.

Aren't you a Vultra Recruiter or Was? I've seen you many times

You can create second channels, so long as it isn't meant to leave your partnered one out to dry. Say he wants a vlog or Minecraft channel (totally different niches) then he can. But if he wants to trickshot on a new channel, he's S.O.L. That's what I had meant

Depends entirely on the wording of the contract. And Machinima wasn't one to leave many loop holes.

Ask if he'll let you read his contract. Do a keyword search for "exclusive" and read the pieces. Most contracts specify exclusivity for the contract duration. It's a protective measure on the part of the company. Remember, he agreed to what is in the contract. Whether he understood it is irrelevant.

Now, it may be just non-competition in which case it would only prohibit channels of a type that compete with Machinima.

It's designed to stop someone from using Machinima to build up a nice subscriber base and then announce to their subscribers they're making a new channel, walking away with a new competing channel and a ton of subs for the deal. Perfectly valid and reasonable.

I highly doubt they're using machinima to build up a nice subscriber base I've known them since Day 1 and they grew very quickly without partnership and Machinima don't promote them in anyway so they didn't really get help from them to build up a subscriber base, but i see where you're coming from

Loophole to benefit them. And you're right and I don't have the contract so I don't know

Indeed. Contracts are "supposed" to be a more even business interaction. However due to the beggar nature of small YouTube channels it becomes a sellers market for the networks and bad contracts result.

Machinima... They've done nothing but screw over a ton of my favorite youtubers. And not just a little. It's been months since some of them have been able to put out a video because machinima is all "Hold on there, don't put a video out because we don't want to pay you!"

They should be shut down before they have a chance at ruining anybody else's career...

Back