What would be the best way?

Angel Stage

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ok so I have an idea for some videos for my husband and I to do. I want to record things he says while watching movies so I would have to record on average about 2 hours and then edit it later for the main bits. I plan on having the camera focused on him for one part to see his reaction as he's watching and then maybe put bits of the movie where he comments as a picture in picture sort of deal.
The camera I have is a Canon Powershot G7X and it won't record for that long. Is there a way that I can have it record for that long? I heard something about hooking it up to the TV but I'm not a big techie person so I'm not sure. Or would a different type of camera be better? Thanks!

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm not really sure there's a whole lot you can do. I think you might just be better off getting a new camera. To my knowledge, cameras have a buffer in order to ensure they have enough power to store the footage. If you force it to record longer, it'll potentially screw up the footage. When you buy a camera, in the specs, it should say how long the camera is capable of recording up to, and that's your best bet. If the camera you have currently has a decent recording time (for example, 30 minutes) you could cut up the video, essentially, and make use of what you have. It'd be a minor annoyance, but easier to edit, I'd bet.

Reactions: Angel Stage

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unless you want to keep hitting the record button every time it hits 20 mins there isn't much that you could do in terms of getting a DSLR to record over 20 mins. What you could perhaps do is get a phone holder that could attach to a tripod and use that with your phone. If your phone camera isn't good enough you could maybe consider going the webcam route and get something like the C920, it's not going to be as good quality as a dedicated camcorder but it's not at all bad and it's 1080p.

Reactions: Angel Stage