What to upload as 1st Video? Original Idea or throw away vids?

bao vu

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been looking around for different advice when it comes to starting out and there are mixed advice. I've read in some articles that when you start YT you should COPY what other people are doing (within your niche) so that you build up a small following and then after that you should start posting original content.

It also said that when you post your best ideas first with no following, it is wasted.

This advice came from a Youtuber who had 600k subs and her niche was ASMR videos.

I read this somewhere and it made sense because every time I look at someones channel (who's doing well) this seems to be the case. They have a bunch of random stuff when they started out and then they come across something that hit well and then they transition into a good rhythm of progression.

So I have some original ideas that I feel confident about and I feel like it would do very well but I'm starting off with basically an empty channel. What do you guys think? Start making some random stuff first "copying others ideas"? or jump straight into the original content that will be better quality?

Siege H.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I just recently posted my first video, and now things are coming to me a bit better as to what I want to shoot, and even how I wanna shoot it. Starting out people will expect your content to not be exactly where you want it, even if you HAVE the means to do it, take that time to settle.

Reactions: Farley Productions

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've read in some articles that when you start YT you should COPY what other people are doing (within your niche) so that you build up a small following and then after that you should start posting original content.
This is kind of what I did. I wouldnt use the word COPY though:) But let´s just say that I was VERY inspired by some ohter channels in my niche (animated motivation/inspiration videos) so in the beginning I made my videos much like theirs. But as I went along I found out that I wanted to make my videos a bit different. I has costed me some subscribers no doubt about it but I feel more true to my self now and I´m slowly gaining subs again:) Best of luck with your project dude:up2:

bao vu

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys. I think that's basically what I'm going to do. Just make some simple vids that are entertaining but easy to make and go from there. Save my original BIG ideas for when I have the proper flow to do it right and slowly drip them in to test.

But as I went along I found out that I wanted to make my videos a bit different. I has costed me some subscribers no doubt about it but I feel more true to my self now and I´m slowly gaining subs again:) Best of luck with your project dude:up2:
What's your channel? I can't get enough of the psychology stuff.

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think you could use some videos as inspiration but ultimately the video should be your idea and your own style. That way you don’t gain an audience who thinks you do one thing when your style is really something different. Doing it this way will possibly result in you growing an audience slower but at least people will watch you for you[DOUBLEPOST=1534966917,1534966640][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just recently posted my first video, and now things are coming to me a bit better as to what I want to shoot, and even how I wanna shoot it. Starting out people will expect your content to not be exactly where you want it, even if you HAVE the means to do it, take that time to settle.
I just checked out your channel and your first video I really enjoyed it and can’t wait to see what else you have coming!

Reactions: Siege H.

Siege H.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think you could use some videos as inspiration but ultimately the video should be your idea and your own style. That way you don’t gain an audience who thinks you do one thing when your style is really something different. Doing it this way will possibly result in you growing an audience slower but at least people will watch you for you[DOUBLEPOST=1534966917,1534966640][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just checked out your channel and your first video I really enjoyed it and can’t wait to see what else you have coming!
Oh wow! Thanks, I appreciate the support, man!