What microphone to pick under $200

TechDunk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am looking for a mic upgrade. I have been using the Samson Meteor Mic for 2 years now. My budget for the mic (including other harware needed for it) is $220. I don't have any equipment other than my current (USB) mic, an arm and pop filter.

What I want to use it for:

Voice-overs (for tutorials or trailers)
Stereo/omni audio (asmr like)
Sound effect recording (game effects).

I am not brand loyal, so it doesn't have to be from a big brand.

So it needs to have at least stereo output. I can downmix this to mono for voiceover. So this doesn't need to be hardware implemented (but that would be a nice feature.

So far the ALG Lyra, Blue Yeti X, HyperX QuadCast and Samson GTrack Pro look the best rn. But please feel free to change my mind!

Last edited:

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
hi, welcome & congrats on 1st post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wishi I knew more about these fancy mics,,,,,,Blue Yeti X looks good try to find comparison videos of it vs similar mics

Reactions: TechDunk

TechDunk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hi, welcome & congrats on 1st post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wishi I knew more about these fancy mics,,,,,,Blue Yeti X looks good try to find comparison videos of it vs similar mics
I've already looked around. Sadly most vids are outdated or are just staying buy this brand without any facts :/

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I've already looked around. Sadly most vids are outdated or are just staying buy this brand without any facts :/
That's because some of the microphones used are timeless and the videos don't require much updating. Not much has changed for microphones from what I can see, just a few minor updates like voice meters, just more bells and whistles without making the bells or whistles sound better.
The Yeti X is kind of just an upgrade to the Yeti but if you start comparing the specs, it's not a massive difference. Also keep in mind, you might not notice a difference since the Samson spec difference again isn't that large. Yeti's biggest advantage, that I know of, is the ability to change the directions it takes audio in, which is useless if you're primarily a solo creator.
That said I'd pick the Yeti X but that's only because I used to use the Yeti and it did everything I needed it to.

Reactions: Crown

Bethanyjbee

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd say Blue Yeti for sure! I've had mine for around 2 years now and it's the best mic I've ever owned! It's versatile because it can change directions from which it picks up sound etc - so I'd highly recommend it!