What makes a viewer a fan?

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Fans. We all would like them, we all probably are them in some cases, but what is the difference between a viewer and a fan?

Lot's of creators will view anyone that is subscribed to be a fan, others think it takes something more than just following, I tend to agree.

Here's my opinion on the different levels, from viewer to fan:

1 - watches your content - occasionally comments.
2 - will never miss an upload, regularly comments.
3 - follows on all social media accounts and interacts regularly.
4 - fanart, fanfiction, fan videos or general promotion of the content.
5 - The kind of fan that would want to meet them in person, buy their merchandise, and will snapshot their sub goals.
6 - they somehow found your home address and are steaming up the window - haha jk ;)

Between 2 and 3 is where the focus goes from being a fan of the content, to being a fan of the creator.
You can love someone's videos, but not be interested in their social media posts etc.
I wonder what makes that crossover?

The reason I bring this up is watching people react to vidcon, meeting their favourite creators, some they haven't even seen their faces before! It's amazing to see the dedication of some people!

What do you think makes a viewer into a fan?
I can't answer it myself, there's some creators I just have to catch live, check every day for new videos, and follow their daily activities that have nothing at all to do with their content, and I honestly couldn't say why :laugh2:

TLDR:
- what do you consider a fan?
- what do you think makes a viewer progress to a fan?
- are you a fan of someone, and if so why?

Reactions: AlexGotBeats

AlexGotBeats

Blessed & Cursed
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
This guy defines a true fan to me. He also follows me on twitter and i think i saw him like my fb post too and asks for tips through e-mail. I almost always see him comment first after my video is up which makes me think he probably turned on my notifications.

ad0d06b5eea4819978f49b3b5d98bb83.png

Knowing myself and what takes it for someone to turn me into a fan or supporter (besides having a dope content that i always like) is getting that actual interaction or reply or something from that person. Its like a simple acknowledgement of someones existance that feels good when you're a fan of someones content.

Reactions: Lightsen

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
This guy defines a true fan to me. He also follows me on twitter and i think i saw him like my fb post too and asks for tips through e-mail. I almost always see him comment first after my video is up which makes me think he probably turned on my notifications.

View attachment 36121

Knowing myself and what takes it for someone to turn me into a fan or supporter (besides having a dope content that i always like) is getting that actual interaction or reply or something from that person. Its like a simple acknowledgement of someones existance that feels good when you're a fan of someones content.
that is awesome, he's definitely a great supporter, its really epic to have someone you see regularly!
and I have to agree with you, getting a response is great, especially from bigger channels that get a lot of messages, so replying isn't easy.

Reactions: AlexGotBeats

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would love to have someone to watch everything and occasionally comment!

Tyhd

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Viewer = views my content
Fan = views and likes my content

It's pretty simple imo

EDIT: I don't mean clicks the like button when I say "likes"

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's possible because if you love their personality and content then you are consider a fan.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think a fan is someone who personally takes an interest in your content and shows real excitement in your channel's content and growth. Someone who will share your latest video on their own social media because they want other people to see it, and not just because they think it will help them somehow.

How to cultivate true fans? I think a lot of it happens in the comment section. If you have real conversations with people about how your videos affect them and what they'd like to see, and get to know them as people, that can go a long way. Eventually, if you're lucky and committed enough to get so popular that you can't have that one-on-one interaction, I'd say the content has to carry the day.