What inspires you to make a video when you don't feel like making a video?

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've been in a video rut for the month of May.... and it seems that's starting to spill over to June. Really it's a full YouTube mental block.
I'm extremely interested in what you do when you don't feel like making videos / what helps keep you motivated.

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally i just take some time away, do something else and then go back to it when i feel like it. Nothing worse than being half in, and doing half a job.

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Since I film mostly hiking and camping videos I'm limited to the trips I plan. If I don't take trips, I don't have those videos. I shoot trail running videos in between but the quality varies. I have a hard time getting excited about a lot of those videos so often I don't use the footage I shoot. I've thought about trying my hand at some more gear reviews but as that's not my wheelhouse I'm a little hesitant about creating subpar videos (at least compared to my other stuff).

Sometimes the answer is just going in a different direction. For example I had this trail running footage from March that didn't do much for me. I had just released a bunch of trail running videos and this seemed like more of the same. I tried to edit it and felt no inspiration. So I moved on. But then a few months later I was back in the situation of needing a video but not having content. So I took that old trail running footage, added some green screen silliness and suddenly I was motivated again. Here's a link to the fun part:

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been in a video rut for the month of May.... and it seems that's starting to spill over to June. Really it's a full YouTube mental block.
I'm extremely interested in what you do when you don't feel like making videos / what helps keep you motivated.
I feel you. I get that way too. For me... I go off the board.

When I am getting burned out from kind of the same ol same ol, I'll try something new.

Something that sparks your interest, whet the appetite for a challenge. Seen something in a video or TV show or hell, even a movie? Try and do that, replicate it or do your own version of it.

I made a Dungeons and Dragons video, and the intro to it was pretty fun. I challenged myself, I felt I did a good job and from then on it cleared the path for my ambition again. Though it is starting to wain again I can feel it.

Let us know what you come up with. Be interesting how you handle it. I mean, heck, some people are good just powering through for the short time until inspiration comes back.

Jack Decker

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
The fame and fortune, of course. Duh!

I have recorded 54 game videos for my YouTube gaming channel so far. I enjoy making the videos and have a fun time doing them with the contestants. Yeah, I'm still brand spanking new so burn-out hasn't really come into the factor. In fact, regularly upping production values is still a thing with the channel. Currently, I've halted recording sessions while I install, test, and do dry runs on two new cameras. Bought two new LED back-lit lights for the set. Moved production from the dining table to taking over the entire living room. I also have five bookcases in route and will be using them for a real background instead of the current virtual.

But, yes, I fully expect there to come a time when the enthusiasm wanes. What do I expect to do then? Just keep doing. I do NOT view this as a hobby or a form of entertainment for myself. I am trying to replace my well-paying job I got with this and that is a high bar to get over. I know that once I am in a recording session, I'll be just fine. I have an editor and a graphic artist to do the post-production. So the only thing I really have to worry about is setting the recording sessions. Surprisingly, that is actually getting easier and easier. Part of the reason why is now the channel is live so I can give a link to it for them to check out and don't have to try to sell something that doesn't exist. And, eventually, WHEN my channel becomes successful, YouTubers, authors, and podcasters will start applying to appear on the show without me having to go out and get them. But as for how I plan to prevent burn out is simply by viewing this as a job. That's it. I don't know about you but I don't always jump out of bed and go, "YEAH!!! I get to go to work today!" But I still go to work. That's how I am approaching my channel. Yes, my channel formulaic but that's on purpose. No great Muse needs to always be whispering into my ear. I just have to come up with five topics and ... BAM! ... I got all I need to do another five-video competition series.