What do you think of "doing it for the money!"

I don't think people should do YouTube just for the money, but those YouTubers rely on that money to support themselves some of those YouTubers have a family they have to support. If YouTube is their only income then they have to get another job to be able to support themselves and pay for whatever they need to make a video, since they would have to find a different job that mean they wouldn't be able to put as much time into videos they would like too they could still make YouTube videos just not as often as they use to because of their job.

I think there is a difference between 'doing it for the money' and having to quit because you're not earning enough to live off it, since if you have a channel with hundreds of thousands, or millions of subs expecting 2/3 videos a week OR MORE... you can't physically fit that around a full time job!
I don't know what people expect, to be honest, of course if YouTube is your FULL TIME INCOME you're going to be sad or annoyed that the revenue you're getting plummets all of a sudden for no apparent reason, it's like you're boss saying to you 'oh yeah, We're cutting your hours in half and docking your pay by £2 an hour... Because you said f*ck twice' or something

Doing it for the money is always part of the reason they do it, it's their job of course they do it for money, its the people that bang millions of views on a few videos take the money and leave that are the problem.

I don't see what's wrong with YouTubers doing YouTube for money, when it's their job and livelihood. There's a line between doing what you love and supporting yourself and when you can't support yourself doing what you love,then you have to find other ways to support yourself. On top of that, content creators are practically creating free content and free entertainment for their viewers. It's only fair if they get something in return.

Doing it for the money is dumb. YouTube can 100% support a big family, but ad revenue can plummet at times. Even at my level I see that, I just imagine having to make ends meet at 20x my level and seeing the bottom fall out like it did in 2016. You'd get financially ruined if YouTube is your sole source of income. I nearly quit, but that was more because I was loosing engagement. Less people commenting. That is seriously the main reason why I am on YouTube. The money coming in doesn't even begin to cover my YouTube expenses so I am clearly not in it for the money (although it is nice YouTube is paying for a portion of my adobe subscription service). I honestly couldn't quit. It is too much fun. Unless something happens in my personal life that would force me to give it up I am chugging on! I have scaled back because I want it to be a hobby. I slaved away next to my full time job to create a video a week. Now I got a more relaxed pace and create 1 - 2 videos a month. And the best thing? It hardly made a difference in my subscriber gains or views. I suppose less is more sometimes!

YouTube can be, and is a job at the end of the day.
So, if you take for example someone working at a place of business and their pay gets cut and they're unable to sustain the life they want to live...It's understandable if they decide to quit that job. They shouldn't receive flack for it.

Honestly, YouTube is not a place for earning money, it's a place where everyone gets an opportunity to make videos about what they love.However, it has an option to earn money besides making videos.But originally youtube is not a place for earning money.That's the one reason most of YouTubers especially new YouTubers give up so early.All they care about there subs count & money.Don't make videos because you have to make videos, make videos because you enjoy making videos.Try to do something that you're passionate about.

There's nothing wrong with doing YouTube for money any more than there is anything wrong with doing YouTube for the fun of it. The important thing is to keep in mind your reasons for what you are doing; if it is for fun, then don't complain about lack of views and income if your channel is not popular. If it is for money, then treat it as a business and don't complain about lack of views and income...DO something about it.

As has been mentioned before, creating a YouTube channel is a very tough and challenging career option. You have decided to run your own business in an incredibly crowded and competitive market place, so you had better have a very clear plan and/or be very talented indeed to even survive, let alone to make a living.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with:
it's like you're boss saying to you 'oh yeah, We're cutting your hours in half and docking your pay by £2 an hour... Because you said f*ck twice' or something
If you are a content creator then you are your own boss, YouTube is your market place, and the advertisers are your customers. If your customers don't buy off you because they don't like to hear curse words then you just need to stop cursing in front of them...it's as simple as that. And even then they may not buy from you, because there are 10,000 other market stalls selling exactly the same thing but wrapped up a little better. By the way AmberAndGolden, I'm not referring to you personally, I'm just stating a general principle :0).

I see so many comments blaming YouTube for a lack of views and income, and to be sure it is frustrating when they make big changes without informing the creators. This is no different to the kind of challenge that any other business faces though. Circumstances change, things happen totally beyond your control and you just have to be proactive in creating multiple revenue streams; Patreon, affiliate links, merchandise.

For me, I started my YouTube channel for business reasons, then continued with it because it was fun, and now I'm back to looking at it as a business (that is still a lot of fun!).

Back