What catches your eye?

I love videos that are witty and clever, or if they do something unexpected (not like clickbait, but things that make you think differently about a subject).

Has to be visually stimulating varying angles and camera movement but it depends on the type of video as well I guess

A thumbnail that is not just thrown together in it's design catches my eye as well as the creative ones. What keeps my attention is if it is something I find funny or original. Originality counts for me big time but it might not for many others.

When you first look something up on YouTube you click on the most appealing thumbnail, but now that you're watching the video, what seems to capture your attention and keep it? Making you stay for the rest of the vid.
Usually any thumbnail containing a woman's cleavage will at least warrant a click. If I do not see the woman in 5 seconds of the video I usually close out.

Humor, creativity, music, editing and/or enthusiasm.

I don't mind the quality of a video, though it can be a bit annoying when the camera is focused on the background or when interlacing/resample wasn't disabled (the onion skin effect where you see two frames in one frame)
Since I'm majoring in audiovisual design I have had classes where we learnt about filmmaking and now I always look at small details such as scenes where people talk to each other; Sometimes the camera was put at the same side of both people which makes it look like the people are looking in the same direction instead of looking at each other.

What makes someone stay is the personality of the YouTuber. Are they funny? Sad? Do they do random and unexpected things?
And also is the video about what it said it would be about
My advice is to have lots of twists in your videos. Do something no one would expect.

Also viewers want consistency. Do you regularly upload?
Are your videos constantly appealing?
That will make them subscribe.

Back