What Are Your Best Tagging Tips?

I've heard a lot about the importance of a good and packed description, and how tags can also be attributed to it and that it's almost as important for them to be added into the description, but never practised it that much myself. However, I used to, occasionally, add such a thing about a year or so ago and to be perfectly honest, I think it worked.. I just got kind of lazy and viewed making a good description pointless since I, myself, never check other people's description that often, so why would everyone else? But these points that you brought up, which can I just say, were some really good tips! Are definitelly something that I'm going to be testing out, and I'll most likely be keeping track of that this week as well. This week is pretty much going to be my test on YouTube tags lol, I'll be sure to post whatever things more I discover whilst doing this, on this thread!

Well, you need to get used to writing extended descriptions, because believe it or not, a long decent description can still be meta food for the YouTube SEO. Even CC can also help even more to the keywords in a video.

...I just got kind of lazy and viewed making a good description pointless since I, myself, never check other people's description that often, so why would everyone else?...

Even though a good description *should* be human readable (SEO systems know the difference between paragraphs and lists), the benefits of a description are primarily for Youtube SEO purposes, not for the audience to read it. I would say that you should assume the audience will NOT read any of your descriptions (unless you explicitly tell them to in the video).

However, the first line or two of a description does show up in youtube search, etc., so you might as well make it relevant to the video. (that is, don't waste your first two lines by asking people to subscribe, visit your twitter, etc.,)[DOUBLEPOST=1456763490,1456758041][/DOUBLEPOST]
The closed captions can also help in SEO stuff, because they're basically still meta text to the video.
I agree. Although they can be time consuming, I think closed captions can be a good thing to invest in, especially since it's probable that the person is already using their keywords frequently and organically when they talk in their video.

I'm curious, ever since I started using YouTube, before even making my channel, I've been intrigued by the different kinds of tags each individual person can come up with. Even if 2 people are making the EXACT same video, with the same general premise, odds are, they'd pick different tags from one another. Maybe, one of them would only tag his/her videos with the logical stuff like: "Gameplay" "Funny Moments" "Cats", Whilst the other would tag it with the most obscure/bizarre tags they could come up with.

That being said, what would you pick? Are there any personal rules/rituals that you abide by when picking the best tags? Maybe you're like me, and occasionally intentionally misspell a word, just slightly, in the hope that someone may have misspelt it in that exact way and happened to hit enter? Reply with what your tips are and hopefully, we can all exchange tips and tricks between each other. :D

If you would like to share in-depth, name a specific video topic and give us examples of exactly what you would tag said video with, if you had to try and grab the attention of someone using the YouTube Search.

I reword my title a hundred times and use long-tail search terms lol

I agree. Although they can be time consuming, I think closed captions can be a good thing to invest in, especially since it's probable that the person is already using their keywords frequently and organically when they talk in their video.

If you already wrote the script of the video before making the video, you can just use that script. Just be sure to adapt it to the transcription with additional closed captions and everything. Saves you work on rewriting what the video says.

Well, I make sure that I fill the tag box rather than focus on very few, specific tags (which tends to work less nowadays I find). Importantly though, I make sure all the important tags are also appearing multiple times in the description of the video to help the strength of these tags. Also, I youtube search these tags and grab the popular searches that come from these single tags and add them as additional tags. I do the same with the title, starting with the first word of the title, check search results and add suggestions as tags, add next word of title and check suggestions, etc.

Basically you want as much connection as possible between individual tags, and between the description, title, and any other metadata.

Well, I make sure that I fill the tag box rather than focus on very few, specific tags (which tends to work less nowadays I find). Importantly though, I make sure all the important tags are also appearing multiple times in the description of the video to help the strength of these tags. Also, I youtube search these tags and grab the popular searches that come from these single tags and add them as tags by themselves.

Basically you want as much connection as possible between individual tags, and between the description, title, and any other metadata.
TubeBuddy does the job of suggesting you tags according to your video and the YouTube trends.

I always try to stick the tags to the main theme of the video, as in my case the songtitle and the artist are very important. Sometimes u can use other tags that may seem relevant to google search but take care that it always fits to ur video in some way or another.

Back