"What am I doing wrong ?"

Seroths

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
"What am I doing wrong?"

Some of you may wonder themself this question after a lot of time doing "quality content" for their channel without result.

Hi, my name is Seroths, I'm a french gaming youtuber, almost at 100K subs (91k when writing this). While visiting YTTALK I stumble accross a thread where a pretty youtube girl creator was asking for help... As I was writing mys answer, I though that maybe this, will be useful fore everybody. So here it is, the way of the youtuber. DISCLAIMER: I do not, by all means, have all the answer. I may be wrong.

My Channel won't grow
If you're doing the same thing again and again and it doesn't work you have to change !

It might be the way you edit the video, the setting of your background, the thumbnail, the way you share it or the subject. Something doesn't work and you must find it.

You MUST work on trending topic.
It was christmas, have you done a christmas video ? Working with trending topic will help you A LOT. Why ? Because people will search for this. And you want to be where the people is. For gamer, it's the new popular game. For vlogger, it will be a new popular challenge or TAG..

Ask yourself some these questions.
What is the purpose of my video ?
Would I watch it ?
Is my video entertaining ? Is my video useful ?
Why someone would watch my video instead of (Insert big youtuber in your categorie here)

Watch your video like you are somebody else. Was it interesting ? Was it at the same quality of your favorite youtuber ? What are they doing that you don't do ? (is that english ?)

But my video is AWESOME dude.
If your video is awesome, you have to share it better.
On forum, reddit (be sure to respect the rules), Tumblr...
(a lot of great Yttalk Tutorial can help you)

Make some collaboration, cross promotion.

Tweak your SEO for a better ranking. SEO is big, it may be THE biggest thing that has help me to grow on youtube. Again, here on YTTALK there are a lot of tutorial on SEO.

Do not forget, you have to enjoy EDITING and WATCHING your own videos.
Well, now it all depends on you !

Last edited:

PocketPaul

PocketGamer & Professional Rambler
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Some great advice dude! I defiantly never took into consideration treading topic. So Thank you for that!! Hope you hit that 100k soon dude XD

Reactions: Seroths

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I have 2 years of YouTube experience, so I know all the facts! So I absolutely agree with your points. Thanks for sharing with our community :)

RATTLED

I'm the one who knocks.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This will help out so many people, you have no idea! Blessed, thank you so much.

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Good advice but was hoping for a killer tip :)
I have a video that gathered 4.8k views in a year. A good portion of these comes from a collaboration. Another good view source is an article I wrote which received nearly 10k(!) clicks over Xmas alone (no clickbaiting title). Of course the video is embedded there. 30% comes from YouTube search. The average audience retention is 70% (drop where I announce and link the collaboration channel) for a 4:30 video. Feedback is fine - no negativity at all.
So it looks as if my content is interesting, I did sharing on G+ (communites), Facebook (groups), Twitter (left out Reddit because of bad audience retention there) and on a related article site and my SEO seems to work because people find it via YouTube Search. Nevertheless less than 7% come from suggested videos and somehow less than 2% from Google search.
Are my numbers too bad to be featured?

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I just don't understand SEO tags etc lol

I care more about trying to help others and I have recently seen that I have a core support base who im pretty sure will watch and support whatever video I create - which is the main reason im now seeing daily growth without promoting my channel anymore :D

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Great stuff. Always good to remember the things we should be following.

Lrulesok

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Cheers for some great advice. Good luck on getting 100k subs.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thanks for sharing!
Those were exactly the questions I asked myself 2 years ago and it worked out very well.
I hope it will be useful for some of the smaller channels here as well.