Watch Time vs YT RED Watch Time

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I'm curious why Youtube Analytics always separates Youtube RED statistics. Are Youtube Red views somehow more valuable to me? Should I care about how many Red viewers watch or dont watch my videos?
When answering please include the source for your information, ie: Per Google/Youtube, based on yours/someone's testing, guessing, etc.

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hiya @The NotARubicon! from reading the google support page (Won't let me insert link), it explains the following

Will creators still be paid with YouTube Red?
Yes, of course. In fact, YouTube Red provides a secondary revenue stream for creators in addition to what you're already earning today through ads.

How is revenue determined?
New revenue from YouTube Red membership fees will be distributed to video creators based on how much members watch your content. As with our advertising business, the majority of the revenue will go to creators.

So in summary, i think its just a different stream of income and that's why they've separated it because it wouldnt be based on advertising revenue, but the number of members paying and spread across a number of individuals who are watching your content ._. if that makes sense, hope this helps and pleased to meet you C:

P.s. i think valuing all subbies is key :D

Reactions: The NotARubicon!

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hiya @The NotARubicon! from reading the google support page (Won't let me insert link), it explains the following

Will creators still be paid with YouTube Red?
Yes, of course. In fact, YouTube Red provides a secondary revenue stream for creators in addition to what you're already earning today through ads.

How is revenue determined?
New revenue from YouTube Red membership fees will be distributed to video creators based on how much members watch your content. As with our advertising business, the majority of the revenue will go to creators.

So in summary, i think its just a different stream of income and that's why they've separated it because it wouldnt be based on advertising revenue, but the number of members paying and spread across a number of individuals who are watching your content ._. if that makes sense, hope this helps and pleased to meet you C:

P.s. i think valuing all subbies is key :D
So what you say is that the youtube RED is more worth than the casual views? :)

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't necessarily think youtube red is worth more, i think they just separated it because youtube red is about how many people pay for the subscription and that payment is spread across the channels/videos they view, atm youtube red isnt as popular yet. theyre still building their subscription base, which means that the amount of money (from subscriptions) is low so the share across channels/videos would be smaller than it would be when they have more subscriptions. Does that make sense? xD

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't necessarily think youtube red is worth more, i think they just separated it because youtube red is about how many people pay for the subscription and that payment is spread across the channels/videos they view, atm youtube red isnt as popular yet. theyre still building their subscription base, which means that the amount of money (from subscriptions) is low so the share across channels/videos would be smaller than it would be when they have more subscriptions. Does that make sense? xD
As you just said it is pretty new and I dont know a lot about their new system but from what I can understand is that you need to be a youtube red distributor if you want your peace of the cake :)

But I mean its fair enough I just think I stick to the good old alternative which I am doing good progress with :thumbsup2:
I would rather establish a website and have a side income there in terms of accessories and posting my videos to get more traffic once I build up my subscriber base, we actually had a discussion about it on branding and channel design topic called "should I get a website" :)

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As you just said it is pretty new and I dont know a lot about their new system but from what I can understand is that you need to be a youtube red distributor if you want your peace of the cake :)

But I mean its fair enough I just think I stick to the good old alternative which I am doing good progress with :thumbsup2:
I would rather establish a website and have a side income there in terms of accessories and posting my videos to get more traffic once I build up my subscriber base, we actually had a discussion about it on branding and channel design topic called "should I get a website" :)
Hiya again, just to clarify

Will my content be available with YouTube Red?
Yes, all of your videos that appear on ad-supported YouTube will also be available without ads with YouTube Red.

Youtube Red honestly is about the subscriber, they can download and watch the videos anywhere they want as well as view content ad-free. You as a creator will have your videos available to youtube RED users and will get additional stream of income if your video is popular with those people who have youtube RED.

Hope this helps C:

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@The NotARubicon! no problem, i didnt understand it and i felt like i was too small atm to even figure that out for myself so i let it slide in the analytics, i learnt a lot reading up on it to try and answer your question lmao so it was a win win!

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hiya again, just to clarify

Will my content be available with YouTube Red?
Yes, all of your videos that appear on ad-supported YouTube will also be available without ads with YouTube Red.

Youtube Red honestly is about the subscriber, they can download and watch the videos anywhere they want as well as view content ad-free. You as a creator will have your videos available to youtube RED users and will get additional stream of income if your video is popular with those people who have youtube RED.

Hope this helps C:
Hi again :)

So that means if they download your videos you will get commission?
But you won't get anything if they watch your video,s lets say I have 1000 youtube red views will I still be paid?

Sorry for me being stupid hahaha :D

By the way your instagram link doesn't work :p

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not a silly question at all, you get commission on both views and downloads but the rate of which you get paid by YouTube red will vary currently and probably be very low as there are not as many subscriptions to YouTube red as of currently. ^^