watch time > 100% (how & why?)

vMinti

Liking YTtalk
So that's what they show me ↓
bfmgl3.png

I'm thinking it could be that people repeat some parts of the video again and again (?)
Perhaps someone knows how does that work?

Yeah, if the watch time is greater than 100%, then it means people are scrolling the player marker back and rewatching parts of the video. ^_^

You can see what parts of the video people are watching by looking at YouTube's retention time graphs for individual videos. This can help you see when most people leave videos, and when people rewatch certain parts of videos. It's really handy because it shows the length of watchtime per view you receive on a video as you watch a video play, and can give you hints about what people prefer to watch.

Sometimes people comment "great" and leave a video after a few seconds -- so even though you may receive a view and positive comment, the retention charts "tells you the truth about what people really think," if that makes sense. If you have most of the graph at or above 100%, then that's super great! I think most people have an overall average around 30-60%, or so -- but a lot of that percentage depends on your target audience, length of video, and what type of content you make. :)

Oh, thank you, it's all clear now c:
I knew about such graphs, yet I've never paid any attention to these (so had no idea what could occur such percentages)
Looks like I will from now on... thanks again! :up2:

That's really interesting, I didn't know this was a thing!
I would really like to know which parts of my videos get the most 'minuets watched' if that makes sense... Obviously the first few seconds will get the most views, but if there is a specific part people skip forward for, or skip backward for to re-watch that would be really cool to know

Katy answered it for you. I've noticed it on some of my videos; it usually happens right around the magic moment. People will rewatch a trick to try and figure out how it was done or they will back it up to watch someone's reaction again.

Back