Videos in multiple play lists, is it OK?

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Just a quick question for those that know youtube and Google better than I do. I've got several recipes that I'd like to put in 2 play lists to make it easier for my viewers. For instance my latest recipe could go in my chicken recipes play list, but would also fit nicely in a winter warmers recipe play list, that has all my comfort food recipes for colder days. Is this OK in Googles eyes? I only ask because my old blog got busted by googles penguin update for having the same content in 2 categories.

Thanks in advance ☺

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Interesting. I always thought its ok because I've been doing that a lot. Same videos in different playlists because a video has multiple categories. YouTube also lets the same videos to be in other people's playlists as well if they want to do that, so I don't think they look much into playlists unless the playlist is reported. I know this because some channels only have spam playlists for no real reason other than to show the first video on it and its still around to this day. :(

/watch?v=7Mff4NyEinE <- this video right here talks about the spam playlists quite clearly, its not my video btw.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Interesting. I always thought its ok because I've been doing that a lot. Same videos in different playlists because a video has multiple categories. YouTube also lets the same videos to be in other people's playlists as well if they want to do that, so I don't think they look much into playlists unless the playlist is reported. I know this because some channels only have spam playlists for no real reason other than to show the first video on it and its still around to this day. :(

/watch?v=7Mff4NyEinE <- this video right here talks about the spam playlists quite clearly, its not my video btw.
Oh right! I've not heard of spam play lists myself so I'll have a look at the video. I want to make it useful for my viewers but I don't want to create a problem for myself. I don't think the old penguin update would effect youtube so I guess it's ok. Hmmm hopefully someone with some knowledge on this will be along soon and can give us anow answer lol.

Reactions: wasabiroots

YouTubers United Podcast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it depends on the goal of your playlists. For playlists you advertise directly on your channel page, I would imagine having less overlap is best (though a bit couldn't hurt that much, could it?)

For playlists designed for search engines, I think you should go crazy. Some Youtube gurus like Eves and Schmoyer say that regular uploaders should be constructing a playlist every week!
For people who discover your playlists through search, they won't be famliar with your content and its therefore irrelevant if there is a bit of overlap.

Just my two cents! Interesting question!

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think it depends on the goal of your playlists. For playlists you advertise directly on your channel page, I would imagine having less overlap is best (though a bit couldn't hurt that much, could it?)

For playlists designed for search engines, I think you should go crazy. Some Youtube gurus like Eves and Schmoyer say that regular uploaders should be constructing a playlist every week!
For people who discover your playlists through search, they won't be famliar with your content and its therefore irrelevant if there is a bit of overlap.

Just my two cents! Interesting question!
Ahh thanks for the input! Appreciate it ☺

Cherry Tung

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd do it for sure! More opportunity for your videos to gain exposure, so why not?