Video Intro????

Juliana Sabo

Hi everyone,

So as part of my "branding" on my channel, I have at the beginning of all my videos an intro (I guess sort of like a title screen?). I added because I noticed some big YouTubers have those sort of title screen intros before their videos (Grace Helbig, Lilly Singh, Smosh, etc) but I'm wondering if maybe because I'm a small youtuber, I shouldn't have a title screen and just go straight into my video?

Please let me know what you think, whether having that intro image at the beginning of my videos works or not. Thank you!

I hate intros.. they are annoying and sometimes go on forever (which i really hate).. BUT, i think they are necessary for branding.. I keep mine simple and short, 4-5 seconds and only put them on my "production" videos - dont bother on my product reviews, vlog, etc, videos..

I hate intros.. they are annoying and sometimes go on forever (which i really hate).. BUT, i think they are necessary for branding.. I keep mine simple and short, 4-5 seconds and only put them on my "production" videos - dont bother on my product reviews, vlog, etc, videos..
Mine's only 3 seconds and only use it for my regular Saturday videos. I have a special one for "outtakes" (it's the same intro but just says outtakes on it) but for any other video, I don't use it. So I guess keep it?

Thanks for the response.

Mine is like 4-5 seconds, but the ideal formula is to have a catchy clip first, then your intro, and then the rest of the video. It's the best way to engage and keep potential viewers. I don't personally do that, because I have a niche channel and no video aspect, but I will later.

I've moved this to the strategy forum. :)

I hate intros too but I think anything less than 5 seconds is fine IMHO.

But since you are a Vlogger, have you considered having a prop in the background with your branding (channel name / logo) on it? That way, it's always there on the screen and you don't need an intro at all in that case.

I don't know who the channels are that you mention but I say, yes, an introduction is mandatory. It makes a video look more pro and serious. I use the title card of each video and make it into a thumbnail and what you have works but maybe if you changed it for each video it would be more interesting. Also good job on meeting weird al! I love al and met him myself in 90s many many times

Mine is like 4-5 seconds, but the ideal formula is to have a catchy clip first, then your intro, and then the rest of the video. It's the best way to engage and keep potential viewers. I don't personally do that, because I have a niche channel and no video aspect, but I will later.
Great advice! I'll start doing that.[DOUBLEPOST=1489111057,1489111037][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've moved this to the strategy forum. :)

I hate intros too but I think anything less than 5 seconds is fine IMHO.

But since you are a Vlogger, have you considered having a prop in the background with your branding (channel name / logo) on it? That way, it's always there on the screen and you don't need an intro at all in that case.
Oooh that's a GREAT idea! I"ll try to figure something out![DOUBLEPOST=1489111241][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't know who the channels are that you mention but I say, yes, an introduction is mandatory. It makes a video look more pro and serious. I use the title card of each video and make it into a thumbnail and what you have works but maybe if you changed it for each video it would be more interesting. Also good job on meeting weird al! I love al and met him myself in 90s many many times
I have like ZERO photoshop abilities which is why mine's always the same. I think I'm gonna keep the title card and maybe try to do something at the beginning of each video before the title card.

And thanks for watching my Weird Al video! He's pretty great.

My audience retention went way up the moment I cut out my intro. If you're going to have an intro, I would start with first grabbing your audience's attention, giving a quick overview of your video, like ask them a question and then show an intro.

My audience retention went way up the moment I cut out my intro. If you're going to have an intro, I would start with first grabbing your audience's attention, giving a quick overview of your video, like ask them a question and then show an intro.
Awesome! Yeah I'm going to try adding a clip at the beginning before the intro.

Back