Video file size?

maman

Hi there!

I just want to ask what sizes are your videos if it's around 6-8 minutes - MP4 - H.264 - Progressive - and HD 1920 x 1080

My video size is at 360+MB - and my friend told me that his edits are reaching 3GB - same video length , so I'm confused if I'm the one wrong or he is. I'm using Premiere Pro CC and my friend is using Windows Movie Maker - we're both Mp4 - H.264 - Progressive and HD - our differences are:

My video bitrate is 8MB - audio bitrate - 317 kbps
While his video bitrate is 22MB - audio bitrate - 195 kbps

EDIT: Both our videos are 29 fps

I need suggestions. :(

Last edited:
A video of 6 minutes in length compressed with H.264 should sit around 350MB - that sounds right. If you've got a 6 minute HD video that is 3GB in size I would re-look at your compression settings. I would expect a raw, uncompressed 6 minute video to be that size, not one compressed with H.264.

So I think your friend needs to look again; your files are what I would expect.

James.

My video bitrate is 8MB - audio bitrate - 317 kbps
While his video bitrate is 22MB - audio bitrate - 195 kbps
There is the problem, he has to set them the same as yours. His qualitty should be abit better then yours thou.

Your filesize for 6 minute long video at 8 Mbps bitrate seems about right - one of my last videos was 6 and a half minutes long, at 16 Mbps bitrate (1080@60p with AAC 48kHz 320 Kbps) and had 667MB size :)

At 22mbps he's basically wasting hard drive space. If he's only uploading a 1080p video to YouTube a file this large is pointless.

You've hit the sweet spot at around 8mbps. Personally I would do Target Bitrate - 10mbps, Max Bitrate - 16mbps. With my audio sitting at 320kbps. If I wanted a master copy I'd put it up around 20mbps-30mbps depending on what the cameras record rate was set to.

Back