Video Drastically Changes Color/Exposure as I Move

JamesMicLewis

Reaction score
I just got in to learning about audio and video so I may not know the right terms.

However, the best I can explain, my camera goes from light to dark depending on how I stand and sometimes changes color. I don't have my white balance set to auto.

Anything else I should check? Any ideas? My camera is cheap, but I don't believe that's the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Do you think it might be lighting issues. It sounds like a hardware glitch if the colors are changing. I don't think it's a setting issue.

JamesMicLewis

Reaction score
I have lots of lights, maybe too much. lol I was trying to get a sample to show what was happening but it hasn't done it again.

It just seemed to constantly adjust to the lighting.

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Im gonna say better lighting, I know before I got my set up tweaked(its still not perfect) I would be reddish the closer I got to a light or if I stepped back a little too much the scene would look really dark. I had spots of lighting instead of the area being filled with light. I just started mid Jan so I am still figuring this stuff out too. Good luck and I hope you figure it out[DOUBLEPOST=1487734884,1487734645][/DOUBLEPOST]too much light was one of my problems, nothing I have is pro. I was using shop lights, flood lights florescents and even an hp sodium. I had to cut down and make screens to reflect light instead of it being direct

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
What type of "cheap" camera are you using? You may have a camera that allows you to set your WB to auto.. but is making every other decision for you.

JamesMicLewis

Reaction score
Im gonna say better lighting, I know before I got my set up tweaked(its still not perfect) I would be reddish the closer I got to a light or if I stepped back a little too much the scene would look really dark. I had spots of lighting instead of the area being filled with light. I just started mid Jan so I am still figuring this stuff out too. Good luck and I hope you figure it out[DOUBLEPOST=1487734884,1487734645][/DOUBLEPOST]too much light was one of my problems, nothing I have is pro. I was using shop lights, flood lights florescents and even an hp sodium. I had to cut down and make screens to reflect light instead of it being direct

This sounds just like my problem. It's not lack of light but lack of quality lighting.

What type of "cheap" camera are you using? You may have a camera that allows you to set your WB to auto.. but is making every other decision for you.
It's $60. lol I use it cause it is better than my phone. It's a slight step up. Pros everywhere say it's the worse ever, but I feel like its a good starter.

It allows me to set the exposure, white balance, resolution and a lot of other things. I believe it is my lighting. I made some test videos and it doesn't seem to be happening.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It sounds like you need to lock your exposure. When you dont lock the exposure (and white balance) any time the lighting changes (like when you move) the camera will try to compensate for the best lighting based on whatever auto-lighting setting it has).. I always lock the white balance, exposure and (usually) the focus so it's not always changing on me.

JamesMicLewis

Reaction score
I've been playing around with my camera and found out that it's the metering settings. Thanks for the help guys!

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I just got in to learning about audio and video so I may not know the right terms.

However, the best I can explain, my camera goes from light to dark depending on how I stand and sometimes changes color. I don't have my white balance set to auto.

Anything else I should check? Any ideas? My camera is cheap, but I don't believe that's the issue.
Are you sure that it's the colour that is changing? Have you dragged your video and looked at colour monitors to see if the values are changing? If all that's changing is your exposure you might have your camera set to auto exposure. Also depending on the camera you're using (for example mine does this) I don't have it set to auto white balance but when I choose a default recording setting other than manual it overrides my choice.

JamesMicLewis

Reaction score
Are you sure that it's the colour that is changing? Have you dragged your video and looked at colour monitors to see if the values are changing? If all that's changing is your exposure you might have your camera set to auto exposure. Also depending on the camera you're using (for example mine does this) I don't have it set to auto white balance but when I choose a default recording setting other than manual it overrides my choice.

Appreciate it, but I've figured out it was my metering settings.