Tomb Raider Copyright?

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Fair use means nothing on YouTube unless you are a big timer...I know it should mean something to us smaller channels but it doesn't. If your video gets flagged for a 3rd party match or a copyright match they will just shoot you down unless you are a big time youtuber bringing in money. Hell I got a channel taken down for using public domain footage. They wouldn't even listen to me about it.
THAT sounds more like the Youtube I know....

Reaction score
But that directly contradicts the whole concept of a video game commenter.
From what you are saying,
The partners in networks like Machinima should not be able to do what they do.
The video game is a core component on that very community.
Sites like Twitch.tv are then illegally streaming to millions of people.
Few people like watching a silent gameplay.
And even fewer people like listening to someone ramble while staring at a black screen.
Networks have access to licenses but why should we need them when we're not claiming the work,
Only using it.
It should be Fair Use that we do what we do.
No, the partners PAY in either ad space or actual revenue to get licenses from the game companies in order to repurpose their footage.

It's not fair use in the slightest. But rather than breaking the law, why not campaign to have the law changed? I, for one, would be thrilled to see someone knocking down the DMCA.

Or, the alternative, do commentaries on GPL-licensed games, or just upload original material. Or heck, contact the game companies themselves and ask what their price would be.

Jyrz

Reaction score
No, the partners PAY in either ad space or actual revenue to get licenses from the game companies in order to repurpose their footage.

It's not fair use in the slightest. But rather than breaking the law, why not campaign to have the law changed? I, for one, would be thrilled to see someone knocking down the DMCA.

Or, the alternative, do commentaries on GPL-licensed games, or just upload original material. Or heck, contact the game companies themselves and ask what their price would be.
Yes,
Because I'm ready to dish out a few hundred dollars to play their game.
Actually,
Why are you here?
You do seem somewhat knowledgeable about licenses,
But the main topic was discussing the problem with the Tomb Raider copyright problem.
It's not even just a problem with people like us without licenses.
It's problem for almost everyone playing it.
But i do feel that in a while,
These strikes will be taken care of.
This isn't the first time something like this has happened.
It's mostly the fault of youtube's auto copyright detection.

Reaction score
Yes,
Actually,
Why are you here?
But the main topic was discussing the problem with the Tomb Raider copyright problem.
You'll note my first suggestion was to contact the network and see if a license was available. If you don't have a license, expect a takedown. If you do have a license appeal it.

YouTube's copyright detection is the way they manage to avoid getting shut down. If you don't like dealing with it, it's relatively trivial to host video on your own for around $10 a month. In fact, I'd be happy to teach people how to set something like that up.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You'll note my first suggestion was to contact the network and see if a license was available. If you don't have a license, expect a takedown. If you do have a license appeal it.

YouTube's copyright detection is the way they manage to avoid getting shut down. If you don't like dealing with it, it's relatively trivial to host video on your own for around $10 a month. In fact, I'd be happy to teach people how to set something like that up.
Hmm... what site does that? And if you do so... does that mean you make money of those videos as well since they're hosted on your own site you're already paying for? 10 bucks a month sounds dirt cheap.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yes,
Actually,
Why are you here?
My main concern is say... you contact whoever owns Lara Croft and they give you the OK... I think Youtube would still take you down and you have to waste the time telling them 'I got the lisence from the company you dumbass!'.

Reactions: VlogRays
Reaction score
Hmm... what site does that? And if you do so... does that mean you make money of those videos as well since they're hosted on your own site you're already paying for? 10 bucks a month sounds dirt cheap.
Well, no, you'd have to sell ads yourself. But you can get a personal web server for $10 a month and manage it all yourself.

Reaction score
My main concern is say... you contact whoever owns Lara Croft and they give you the OK... I think Youtube would still take you down and you have to waste the time telling them 'I got the lisence from the company you dumbass!'.
Well, when you have 3 days of video uploaded every minute, there are going to be some drawbacks. Sometimes services provided to you absolutely free aren't perfect.

Reaction score
What ads? And how can you be sure you make money off em? And what about storage space? I'd like to be sure I'd have room for all my videos.
Well then you'd better get to work! You're going to have to manage ad sales, system administration, QA, data-recovery, ad ops, not to mention actually making your videos.

Or, you could just abide by YouTube's terms of service.