Tomb Raider Copyright?

Jyrz

Reaction score
Well now I feel as bland as boiled chicken and mushy peas. I gotta start stealing other artists' work quick!!!
You should it's good for the soul.
In any case,
How can playing a game and talking over the footage be considered "Stealing"?
It's not like we're saying "This game is ours now".
It really is closer towards reviewing the game.
And why should one have to be with a network in order to have a license?
Surely owning the game should be sufficient.
Yes, you could make the argument that owning a movie doesn't give you permission to open a movie theater and play the movie for a crowd.
But the main difference is that we are not charging anybody for viewing permission.
We simply want to record gameplay with our commentary for the viewers entertainment.

Reactions: Owlsighs
Reaction score
it's not a matter of stealing other people's work. It's a matter of, as a reviewer, if you're going to review a certain thing, you should have the right to show some clips or examples of the subject at hand. Where would Siskel and Elbert be if it was just them rambling about the movie if they didn't even show at least a clip of the movie they're talking about? How would Nostalgia Critic and AVGN do their shows if they weren't able to show what they're reviewing? I doubt they try to 'claim ownership' or 'steal other people's work', it's just... when you review something... you gotta show what it is your reviewing.

I once saw a dude review a Ninja Turtle game.... but it was just sitting on a crate in his attic (it looked like) and just talking about the game. Really bored me without at least showing some game footage to get his point across. Of course it didn't help that the first 2 minutes was about the actual game and then the rest of the video turned into a vlog of his life.... but still, you get the point.
You are able to do THAT. That falls under fair use. Take a look at all of vsauce3 - that's entirely covered by fair use.

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How would Nostalgia Critic and AVGN do their shows if they weren't able to show what they're reviewing?
The Critic left YouTube years ago because he couldn't upload his videos. AVGN just recently had his channel shut down for copyright reasons but got it back up at the end of the day because...well because he is just making to much money. If it was any of us though we would be ******. Welcome to the bias world that is YouTube. YouTube is so full of s**t its almost funny.

Reaction score
You should it's good for the soul.
In any case,
How can playing a game and talking over the footage be considered "Stealing"?
It's not like we're saying "This game is ours now".
It really is closer towards reviewing the game.
And why should one have to be with a network in order to have a license?
Surely owning the game should be sufficient.
Yes, you could make the argument that owning a movie doesn't give you permission to open a movie theater and play the movie for a crowd.
But the main difference is that we are not charging anybody for viewing permission.
We simply want to record gameplay with our commentary for the viewers entertainment.
If you're critiquing the game, you can make the case for fair use. If you're talking while the video is playing, and your content isn't directly related, then you're using two things to entertain - your own words, and work you don't own. If the value of your video comes from your words, then you could just as easily talk over a black screen.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You are able to do THAT. That falls under fair use. Take a look at all of vsauce3 - that's entirely covered by fair use.
I was kinda under the impression that Youtube was like 'the hell with fair use, COPYRIGHT STRIKE THIS b***h'. That's why I don't even think of monetizing any of my episodes.

Reaction score
I was kinda under the impression that Youtube was like 'the hell with fair use, COPYRIGHT STRIKE THIS b***h'. That's why I don't even think of monetizing any of my episodes.
That's simply not the case. I know firsthand that Vsauce3 doesn't own copyright for any of the games reviewed.

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Fair use means nothing on YouTube unless you are a big timer...I know it should mean something to us smaller channels but it doesn't. If your video gets flagged for a 3rd party match or a copyright match (even if you are following the fair use laws) they will just shoot you down unless you are a big time youtuber bringing in money. Hell I got a channel taken down for using public domain footage. They wouldn't even listen to me about it.

Jyrz

Reaction score
If you're critiquing the game, you can make the case for fair use. If you're talking while the video is playing, and your content isn't directly related, then you're using two things to entertain - your own words, and work you don't own. If the value of your video comes from your words, then you could just as easily talk over a black screen.
But that directly contradicts the whole concept of a video game commenter.
From what you are saying,
The partners in networks like Machinima should not be able to do what they do.
The video game is a core component on that very community.
Sites like Twitch.tv are then illegally streaming to millions of people.
Few people like watching a silent gameplay.
And even fewer people like listening to someone ramble while staring at a black screen.
Networks have access to licenses but why should we need them when we're not claiming the work,
Only using it.
It should be Fair Use that we do what we do.