Tips for IRL Video's [Vlogs/Skits/Rants/Comedy etc]

Kristen Is Calm

I don't caaaaaaare!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Awesome stuff! Thanks for the advice! I really needed this as I just started. :)

unknown_user094590385084

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hello Guys!
I've seen a lot of Vloggers and IRL Video Makers starting to use the forums. So, I thought I would give some tips to the new members that are just starting out and want to know the best way to make their videos stand out from the crowd! These are very simple steps and most aren't to hard on your wallet either, so let's get into it :)

Lighting - Lighting plays a major role when it comes to IRL video, and can bridge the gap between a good video and a bad video. If you don't have enough light, your video can look grainy and out of focus. The cheap option is to use clip lights or even desk lamps, or you can go all out and buy professional lighting kits that can include reflectors, soft boxes etc. Diffused light looks a lot better then direct light (point your lighting at a wall rather then straight at your face)

Camera - The camera you use is the most important component to your videos. There are many smart phones (iPhone, Samsung Galaxy) that provide good quality for beginning creators, and are a great way to break into the scene. If you have the funds, you can purchase a DSLR Camera, such as the Canon EOS 650D. The 650D is amazing quality for YouTube Videos, but this quality does come at a heavy price (Approx. $700 USD)

Audio - The Audio quality of your video is definitely one of the most crucial parts of your video, because what's a vlog without Audio? That's like YTtalk without Michael! Like I said earlier, if you are using a smart phone, the inbuilt microphone's can work just fine in your videos. DSLR Camera's are notorious for having awful microphones, so it is best to use an external microphone (Shotgun Microphones for example).

Topics - What is your video about? If you're making a rant video, you need a topic to rant about, If you're making a vlog, you need something to vlog. If you refer to the thread "Symph's Tips for the opinional vlogger", no one cares about what you had for breakfast or what time your dog started barking this morning. Make sure the topic is interesting, something that the viewer will engage with and possibly relate to. Like Symphonious7 said, "Don't turn on the camera unless you truly have something to say". Look at news sites, find out the latest story that you feel strongly about, and express your opinion on it!

Recording - Now that you have your topic, it's time to record the video. Don't just stand in one place and stare at the screen, that is creepy and will most likely scare your audience away. Move around, swap from the left side of the frame to the right, small things like that can make a HUGE difference in how good your video looks like in the end! Use props, dress up, do anything you can to make your video enjoyable, because that's what viewers want to see. No one wants to be bored, so make your video as awesome as possibly can manage!

Editing - Now that you have everything recorded and saved on your PC, you need to edit to make it beautiful. For Ranters, Jump-cuts are a simple yet effective way to edit your videos. This means cutting out the parts between each line, so there are no parts of the video where you're not talking. This works best when (as previously stated) you switch between the left and right side of the frame, so you're not just standing in one place the entire time. You can add a backing track, just balance the audio so it doesn't overpower your voice in the video. Adding pop-ups, special effects and other fancy things can also make your video a lot more entertaining to watch.

Rendering - Once you have your video edited and looking good, it's time to render it out! Now this can vary from program to program, format to format, and there are plenty of tutorials you can find on YouTube and even here on YTtalk! Most programs have default render templates, so aim for anything HD (1280x720) I use .wmv format for my videos, but it's really up to you in the end. So feel free to experiment with different formats until you find one you're happy with

Uploading - This is the most important step, how you set this all out can decide how people will find your video. There are 3 components to your videos SEO. (Search Engine Optimization)
Your videos Title, Description and Tags. Your title needs to explain what your video is about, so if you made a video about the YTtalk Forums. An appropriate title would be "My Thoughts on the YTtalk Forums" as opposed to "OMG HERE IS WHY I LOVE THE YTTALK FORUMS!". Keep it simple, but straight to the point. Your videos description is also very important, include a more detailed look into the videos topic. So delve a little deeper into what your video is really about, you can also add any of your other information such as your Twitter, Facebook etc. Tags are the most crucial component to how your video is going to be found, so they have to be perfect. You can use the "Google Keyword Tool" (link below) if you are not sure on what Tags to include, and the tool will also give you the most searched phrases that relate to your video's topic. Once you have your Title, Description and Tags set, your video is now ready to hit YouTube!

I know this is quite a long read, but hopefully it does provide you with a better look into creating the best quality videos you can! If you have anything you would like to add to this, or maybe you have noticed some information that is wrong. Just PM me and I'll change it ASAP. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope it benefits you and your channel! Good Luck :)

Google Keywords:
Symphonious's Thread:
These are really great tips! I will definitely put these to use in my videos. Great job man. :thumbsup2:

MoarExp

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Currently thinking of diving into filming reality and this guide is proving to be really useful.

ezziesvlogs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hello Guys!
I've seen a lot of Vloggers and IRL Video Makers starting to use the forums. So, I thought I would give some tips to the new members that are just starting out and want to know the best way to make their videos stand out from the crowd! These are very simple steps and most aren't to hard on your wallet either, so let's get into it :)

Lighting - Lighting plays a major role when it comes to IRL video, and can bridge the gap between a good video and a bad video. If you don't have enough light, your video can look grainy and out of focus. The cheap option is to use clip lights or even desk lamps, or you can go all out and buy professional lighting kits that can include reflectors, soft boxes etc. Diffused light looks a lot better then direct light (point your lighting at a wall rather then straight at your face)

Camera - The camera you use is the most important component to your videos. There are many smart phones (iPhone, Samsung Galaxy) that provide good quality for beginning creators, and are a great way to break into the scene. If you have the funds, you can purchase a DSLR Camera, such as the Canon EOS 650D. The 650D is amazing quality for YouTube Videos, but this quality does come at a heavy price (Approx. $700 USD)

Audio - The Audio quality of your video is definitely one of the most crucial parts of your video, because what's a vlog without Audio? That's like YTtalk without Michael! Like I said earlier, if you are using a smart phone, the inbuilt microphone's can work just fine in your videos. DSLR Camera's are notorious for having awful microphones, so it is best to use an external microphone (Shotgun Microphones for example).

Topics - What is your video about? If you're making a rant video, you need a topic to rant about, If you're making a vlog, you need something to vlog. If you refer to the thread "Symph's Tips for the opinional vlogger", no one cares about what you had for breakfast or what time your dog started barking this morning. Make sure the topic is interesting, something that the viewer will engage with and possibly relate to. Like Symphonious7 said, "Don't turn on the camera unless you truly have something to say". Look at news sites, find out the latest story that you feel strongly about, and express your opinion on it!

Recording - Now that you have your topic, it's time to record the video. Don't just stand in one place and stare at the screen, that is creepy and will most likely scare your audience away. Move around, swap from the left side of the frame to the right, small things like that can make a HUGE difference in how good your video looks like in the end! Use props, dress up, do anything you can to make your video enjoyable, because that's what viewers want to see. No one wants to be bored, so make your video as awesome as possibly can manage!

Editing - Now that you have everything recorded and saved on your PC, you need to edit to make it beautiful. For Ranters, Jump-cuts are a simple yet effective way to edit your videos. This means cutting out the parts between each line, so there are no parts of the video where you're not talking. This works best when (as previously stated) you switch between the left and right side of the frame, so you're not just standing in one place the entire time. You can add a backing track, just balance the audio so it doesn't overpower your voice in the video. Adding pop-ups, special effects and other fancy things can also make your video a lot more entertaining to watch.

Rendering - Once you have your video edited and looking good, it's time to render it out! Now this can vary from program to program, format to format, and there are plenty of tutorials you can find on YouTube and even here on YTtalk! Most programs have default render templates, so aim for anything HD (1280x720) I use .wmv format for my videos, but it's really up to you in the end. So feel free to experiment with different formats until you find one you're happy with

Uploading - This is the most important step, how you set this all out can decide how people will find your video. There are 3 components to your videos SEO. (Search Engine Optimization)
Your videos Title, Description and Tags. Your title needs to explain what your video is about, so if you made a video about the YTtalk Forums. An appropriate title would be "My Thoughts on the YTtalk Forums" as opposed to "OMG HERE IS WHY I LOVE THE YTTALK FORUMS!". Keep it simple, but straight to the point. Your videos description is also very important, include a more detailed look into the videos topic. So delve a little deeper into what your video is really about, you can also add any of your other information such as your Twitter, Facebook etc. Tags are the most crucial component to how your video is going to be found, so they have to be perfect. You can use the "Google Keyword Tool" (link below) if you are not sure on what Tags to include, and the tool will also give you the most searched phrases that relate to your video's topic. Once you have your Title, Description and Tags set, your video is now ready to hit YouTube!

I know this is quite a long read, but hopefully it does provide you with a better look into creating the best quality videos you can! If you have anything you would like to add to this, or maybe you have noticed some information that is wrong. Just PM me and I'll change it ASAP. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope it benefits you and your channel! Good Luck :)

Google Keywords:
Symphonious's Thread:
Thanks for writing this all down! Gave me some ideas for my next videos! :)

Melissa B.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Guru, Vlogger, Reviewer
I love this! I've been vlogging off and on for the last two years, and I've toyed with a couple of other "IRL" video ideas. This really helped with some issues I've been wrestling with.

Wenry

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm basically a semi beginner and a tip that I can offer is to not give up and keep trying because you will only get better!

I had to make 3 different YouTube channels because I couldn't settle on a name.
Be SURE that you like your name and whatever name you use represents you or your brand.
You also have to be VERY consistent with videos. I'm not perfect but I've only gotten better.
I only have 22 subscribers on my current/new/permanent YouTube because I changed my name and added a few of my videos from my old YouTube that had about 2,000 subscribers.

Rob Anderson

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
A quick tip for cheap, amazing diffused lighting. I take a couple of 10" clip-on metal work lights from Home Depot/Lowes and bounce the light off a white foamcore board. For less than $20, you have very professional diffused lighting that rivals expensive umbrellas. See my channel for examples of how it looks; I use it in every video I've done for the past year.