The 80/20 Rule

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the post! but are right there is a possibility on one or two videos have a chance to get more views than others

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
What about adding relevant playlists via cards to every video? Effective or no?

@ApexTV Would like your opinion too.
That would work too but I tbh I don't really use cards. I prefer linking to videos in the outro (not playlists) because I want the viewer to watch another one of my videos asap before he changes his mind and gets distracted.

If you link to a playlist, then that brings up the playlist, but doesn't start a video and then he might be staring at a playlist of 30 videos (or whatever) and get a bit overwhelmed and not click on anything or get distracted by something else. A good compromise is to link to a video in the outro but with its position in a playlist, so the video will immediately play and the playist will also appear in the right.

The end goal in having 2 vids (let's call them vid A and vid B) to click on in the outro is that over time, the algorithm will detect that a large % of viewers who watch the original, then go on to watch either vid A or vid B. This increases the chances of the algorithm putting vid A and/or vid B at the top of the suggested videos list for the original video, ahead of all your competitors. If you link to a playlist this is less likely to happen because the clicks would be spread out over a list of say 30 vids and the algo wouldn't really have enough meaningful data.

I do use playlists a lot, but I put them in the description and I also link to them in the comments every now and again when someone says they like a particular type of video.

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would definitely say that this is effective, however just adding cards to different videos may arguably be just as effective, if not more. Sadly, due to a copyright strike, we can't show cards on our videos. :( At least until August of this year!
I switched the playlists with a couple of videos for each video. Sucks you can't add cards until then.[DOUBLEPOST=1466689876,1466688650][/DOUBLEPOST]
That would work too but I tbh I don't really use cards. I prefer linking to videos in the outro (not playlists) because I want the viewer to watch another one of my videos asap before he changes his mind and gets distracted.

If you link to a playlist, then that brings up the playlist, but doesn't start a video and then he might be staring at a playlist of 30 videos (or whatever) and get a bit overwhelmed and not click on anything or get distracted by something else. A good compromise is to link to a video in the outro but with its position in a playlist, so the video will immediately play and the playist will also appear in the right.

The end goal in having 2 vids (let's call them vid A and vid B) to click on in the outro is that over time, the algorithm will detect that a large % of viewers who watch the original, then go on to watch either vid A or vid B. This increases the chances of the algorithm putting vid A and/or vid B at the top of the suggested videos list for the original video, ahead of all your competitors. If you link to a playlist this is less likely to happen because the clicks would be spread out over a list of say 30 vids and the algo wouldn't really have enough meaningful data.

I do use playlists a lot, but I put them in the description and I also link to them in the comments every now and again when someone says they like a particular type of video.
Makes sense, Crown. I exchanged the playlists with a couple of videos based on what you shared. Hopefully my views will double/triple soon. Building channel authority takes a while! Someone mentioned in an article, once you pass 100 uploads, youtube will give your channel an increase in views... fairy tales or no? Have you heard about the new end card feature youtube is going to put out soon? The larger channels have access to it from what I hear.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Someone mentioned in an article, once you pass 100 uploads, youtube will give your channel an increase in views... fairy tales or no?
That's a myth. There's no magic number of uploads. If there were, people would just upload crap as quickly as possible until they reached the magic number. There are hundreds and thousands of channels with over 100 vids who aren't growing at all. My channel got its boost after about 40 vids if I remember correctly and I've seen other channels take 200 vids.

What is more important is to upload regularly (once a week, for example) and to do it consistently for a long period of time and to reply to a few comments regularly over time too. Youtube likes to see regular sustained activity, not fits and bursts.

Whoever wrote the article about "100 vids" - It was probably just coincidence that his channel blew up at around that number, but it just meant that the algorithm had enough data on a particular video at that time for it to get a boost and that then trickled through to his other videos to give the overall growth. If you think about it logically - Try to imagine the group of YT engineers having a meeting to discuss what should be the criteria for a video/channel to suddenly become popular? Number of videos doesn't make any sense at all really. That's always my thought process to decide what's fact or fiction.

Have you heard about the new end card feature youtube is going to put out soon? The larger channels have access to it from what I hear.
I've vaguely heard about it, but tbh, I haven't really looked at cards at all. I'm quite old school and prefer annotations. I've just had a quick look on my dashboard and yeah I've had a notification about that so I might look into it. ^^

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's a myth. There's no magic number of uploads. If there were, people would just upload crap as quickly as possible until they reached the magic number. There are hundreds and thousands of channels with over 100 vids who aren't growing at all. My channel got its boost after about 40 vids if I remember correctly and I've seen other channels take 200 vids.

What is more important is to upload regularly (once a week, for example) and to do it consistently for a long period of time and to reply to a few comments regularly over time too. Youtube likes to see regular sustained activity, not fits and bursts.

Whoever wrote the article about "100 vids" - It was probably just coincidence that his channel blew up at around that number, but it just meant that the algorithm had enough data on a particular video at that time for it to get a boost and that then trickled through to his other videos to give the overall growth. If you think about it logically - Try to imagine the group of YT engineers having a meeting to discuss what should be the criteria for a video/channel to suddenly become popular? Number of videos doesn't make any sense at all really. That's always my thought process to decide what's fact or fiction.

I've vaguely heard about it, but tbh, I haven't really looked at cards at all. I'm quite old school and prefer annotations. I've just had a quick look on my dashboard and yeah I've had a notification about that so I might look into it. ^^
Well, that's a relief. Too many s****y channels would get tons of traffic. I would think having enough channel authority would give you that boost. The most I can upload is once a week, but sometimes it's more than that. Twice would be pushing it for sure. I have 31 videos so far and I reply to all comments left on my videos. I ignore the ones that expect me to make free art for them.

The new end card feature looks great actually. Tim Schmoyer posted a video on it recently.

Tv Head Greg

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't know if I agree with OP. I had a channel years ago that I had about 50k views. Mostly I just posted to forums about my videos. I used to dwell in facepunch.com hard, but I really don't do Garry's Mod videos anymore. I feel like you have to find you passion first, and your audience later. Just my opinion though.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Well, that's a relief. Too many s****y channels would get tons of traffic. I would think having enough channel authority would give you that boost. The most I can upload is once a week, but sometimes it's more than that. Twice would be pushing it for sure. I have 31 videos so far and I reply to all comments left on my videos. I ignore the ones that expect me to make free art for them.

The new end card feature looks great actually. Tim Schmoyer posted a video on it recently.
Once a week is perfect for new channels regardless of channel type. There's another myth that gets posted on here saying the gaming channels should post daily if they want to grow. That's not true at all. As though gaming videos are somehow different and have a different algorithm ?!! When you ask them why they think that, their reply is "Erm, because that's what other gaming channels do." - Well that's not a reason at all, that's just being a sheep without thinking about it logically. They see pewdiepie posting daily and they think that's what will work. I've been on YTtalk for 3 years and in that time, I've seen thousands of gaming channels come and go. About 5 of them were growing organically and none of them posted daily when they started.

The reason why posting daily will hinder a new channel's is due to where it'll be getting most of its traffic from: A new channel by its very nature won't be getting much traffic from SEO or suggested videos because that takes time. In the beginning, quite a significant part of a new channel's trafic comes from people just landing on the channel's home page because the owner has been pimping the link or people have clicked on a comment made on someone else's video and they too land on the channel home page. Then what happens is that they'll click on the most recent video. If the channel owner, uploads weekly then that means that he'll get a week's worth of views on one video, which could be quite a few and that'll help the algorithm to build up significant data about audience retention. Whereas, the channel owner who uploads daily is only going to get 1 day's worth of views before the video moves down the pile. The total number of views across the channel would be the same but 7 videos getting 50 views each (uploading daily) is worse than 1 video getting 350 views (uploading weekly) because the algo doesn't have enough data to work with per video.

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Once a week is perfect for new channels regardless of channel type. There's another myth that gets posted on here saying the gaming channels should post daily if they want to grow. That's not true at all. As though gaming videos are somehow different and have a different algorithm ?!! When you ask them why they think that, their reply is "Erm, because that's what other gaming channels do." - Well that's not a reason at all, that's just being a sheep without thinking about it logically. They see pewdiepie posting daily and they think that's what will work. I've been on YTtalk for 3 years and in that time, I've seen thousands of gaming channels come and go. About 5 of them were growing organically and none of them posted daily when they started.

The reason why posting daily will hinder a new channel's is due to where it'll be getting most of its traffic from: A new channel by its very nature won't be getting much traffic from SEO or suggested videos because that takes time. In the beginning, quite a significant part of a new channel's trafic comes from people just landing on the channel's home page because the owner has been pimping the link or people have clicked on a comment made on someone else's video and they too land on the channel home page. Then what happens is that they'll click on the most recent video. If the channel owner, uploads weekly then that means that he'll get a week's worth of views on one video, which could be quite a few and that'll help the algorithm to build up significant data about audience retention. Whereas, the channel owner who uploads daily is only going to get 1 day's worth of views before the video moves down the pile. The total number of views across the channel would be the same but 7 videos getting 50 views each (uploading daily) is worse than 1 video getting 350 views (uploading weekly) because the algo doesn't have enough data to work with per video.
They think the algorithm will favor them like it does bigger channels if they upload every day. The algorithm only favors the amount of channel authority you have. The worst advice I see people giving on this site: "Upload every day if you have a new/small channel." and "Promote, promote, promote!" If you want your channel to achieve organic growth, less is more.

So, it's better for one video to get a chance to gain some momentum and grab a little attention from the algorithm, without any interruption from other videos for several days? Makes sense to me.

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They think the algorithm will favor them like it does bigger channels if they upload every day. The algorithm only favors the amount of channel authority you have. The worst advice I see people giving on this site: "Upload every day if you have a new/small channel." and "Promote, promote, promote!" If you want your channel to achieve organic growth, less is more.

So, it's better for one video to get a chance to gain some momentum and grab a little attention from the algorithm, without any interruption from other videos for several days? Makes sense to me.
This is wrong. Our channel didn't get 10,000 subscribers and nearly 5,000,000 views by uploading once a week and waiting for the videos to gain momentum. We uploaded regularly and promoted each of the videos like crazy. It worked for us, so I presume it can work for others too.

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is wrong. Our channel didn't get 10,000 subscribers and nearly 5,000,000 views by uploading once a week and waiting for the videos to gain momentum. We uploaded regularly and promoted each of the videos like crazy. It worked for us, so I presume it can work for others too.
My channel is actually doing better than it was when I did promote my speed painting videos. I was getting hundreds - thousands of views in an hour after promoting on places like reddit and other communities. I stopped when promoting was doing more harm than good. It's been almost a year since I last promoted a video and all of my traffic now comes from search and suggested. Promoting your videos can bring down your watch time. I want the Algorithm to promote my videos for me in suggested (That's how your channel can blow up organically.) If I had as many videos as you do on my channel, my views could be in the millions too. I only have 31 at the moment. I can't produce more than one-two a week.

I hope promoting continues to help grow your channel.

Reactions: Crown