The 80/20 Rule

magnamious

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter
There are a number of reasons why not uploading regularly can be bad. Now before I go into those reasons, I'd just like to say that I understand that in some cases in is not possible to upload videos everyday. Heck, even I forgot to upload a video yesterday! Uploading consistently keeps your channel ranked higher in YouTube's algorithm than channels that don't. Also, it shows your subscribers that you upload consistently and that they can expect new content. Just do what works. I know of successful channels that only upload once a week. Good luck!
Ok thanks! That's what I was afraid of. I really wish I could upload more regularly cause I have so many ideas

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My channel is actually doing better than it was when I did promote my speed painting videos. I was getting hundreds - thousands of views in an hour after promoting on places like reddit and other communities. I stopped when promoting was doing more harm than good. It's been almost a year since I last promoted a video and all of my traffic now comes from search and suggested. Promoting your videos can bring down your watch time. I want the Algorithm to promote my videos for me in suggested (That's how your channel can blow up organically.) If I had as many videos as you do on my channel, my views could be in the millions too. I only have 31 at the moment. I can't produce more than one-two a week.

I hope promoting continues to help grow your channel.
I view promoting as a way to get the views and watchtime up in the first place. About 20% of my views come from external sources (promotion) and 80% comes from my video being in other video's suggested videos. Promotion initially gets the views up, and the algorithm in turn generates lits of organic views. I understand that this may vary by channel. Good luck to you also!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
This is wrong. Our channel didn't get 10,000 subscribers and nearly 5,000,000 views by uploading once a week and waiting for the videos to gain momentum. We uploaded regularly and promoted each of the videos like crazy. It worked for us, so I presume it can work for others too.

But what happened when you stopped promoting?! In fact what happened to that channel? :)

As your catalogue of videos increase, you'd have to promote more and more to maintain the same level of views. To maintain that level of spam promotion on reddit without getting banned, you'd also have to spend hours and hours writing non-promotional posts to keep the mods off your back. I don't know about anyone else, but that's not an efficient use of my time having to spend hours playing cat and mouse with forum mods. The moment you get banned, it's pretty much game over. Sure, promotion will give you a big headstart in the short term, but as soon as you stop promoting, go on vacation or whatever, the views dry up. The huge boost in views that the algorithm can bring is waaay more than any promotion can bring and the best thing is that it's all automatic. I just spend time making videos and replying to a few comments.

Reactions: Painter

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
But what happened when you stopped promoting?! In fact what happened to that channel? :)

As your catalogue of videos increase, you'd have to promote more and more to maintain the same level of views. To maintain that level of spam promotion on reddit without getting banned, you'd also have to spend hours and hours writing non-promotional posts to keep the mods off your back. I don't know about anyone else, but that's not an efficient use of my time having to spend hours playing cat and mouse with forum mods. The moment you get banned, it's pretty much game over. Sure, promotion will give you a big headstart in the short term, but as soon as you stop promoting, go on vacation or whatever, the views dry up. The huge boost in views that the algorithm can bring is waaay more than any promotion can bring and the best thing is that it's all automatic. I just spend time making videos and replying to a few comments.
Again, promotion is not our primary way of getting views. That comes from suggested videos (The YouTube Algorithm). Most of our views come from the YouTube algorithm. In fact only 1.9% of our views in the last 28 days came from external sources (promotion). In the lifetime of our channel, 4.4% of our views have come from promotion. 64.7% has come from suggested videos, and 16.8% has come from YouTube search. I'm only arguing that promotion is a useful tool to get your channel going. Once it's rolling, YouTube's algorithm generates many times more views that promotion ever would. If someone's primary way of getting views was promotion, they would not be able to sustain it long term.