Tagging Etiquette

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I read somewhere (not sure where) that you should tag channels similar to yours so that you show up in that channels recommended next panel.

For example a toy channel should do relevant tags, but also tag DisneyCarToys, and maybe a few other popular, similar channels.

I tried that in one or two of my videos, but then felt guilty about it. What are your thoughts? Is this poor etiquette or A-Okay?

TheBossman

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Reviewer
Bad etiquette and I am pretty sure it is against Youtubes terms and conditions, but I am not sure. I wouldn't do it.

Jacksepticeye says he dislikes it that much, when he does a video with Pewdiepie he doesn't name him or put it in his tags cause he doesn't know where the line is.

Reactions: Mattaxol

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Bad etiquette and I am pretty sure it is against Youtubes terms and conditions, but I am not sure. I wouldn't do it.

Jacksepticeye says he dislikes it that much, when he does a video with Pewdiepie he doesn't name him or put it in his tags cause he doesn't know where the line is.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I couldn't find any official answer, and I don't remember where I read that advice. So, I think I'll just stay away.
Thanks for confirming!

Bombiebru

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have wondered about that as well. I have seen channels doing it, but I haven't done it myself for fear of them finding out and getting upset with me. I don't think it is illegal per se but I do think it shows bad etiquette.

Reactions: Bennett's Playtime

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It's technically against the YouTube Terms of Service so you would be at risk even if you notice other people getting away with it.
Yeah, the couple of videos I had tried it on, I already deleted those tags. It just felt wrong. But it's nice to have it confirmed that it's against terms of service, too. There's too much bad advice out there!

Reactions: Bombiebru

Bombiebru

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's technically against the YouTube Terms of Service so you would be at risk even if you notice other people getting away with it.
Good to know for sure. I can only imagine if it was legal. It would probably clog up the searches for sure.