Syncing text to audio and small animations

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hello everyone!~

Now, I've had these two questions for a while and I either don't have the right knowledge or I don't have the right software. So if you guys could help me out, that'd be great!

My first question is: How to sync up text to audio? You often see this on animation channels, where they let the words appear when they say it, for example they say: 'The day I fell out a tree' and each word appears at the moment it is said. I think of a few ways I can do this in Filmora, but they all seem quite cumbersome.

Second question: How to insert small 'animations'? With animations I mainly mean pictures moving across the screen, not actual drawn animations. You see this a lot in videos of Amazing Phil and older videos of danisnotonfire (now Daniel Howell). You can ofcourse do a lot with the animation option in Filmora, but some movements seem quite eratic/unusual, so I'm suspecting they use a different software for this.

Tips are very much welcome!

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They'll probably be using Premiere Pro alongside After Effect, you can do pretty all of what you mentioned and a lot more through those apps. I'd recommend looking on youtube for some tutorials on them, there are some really great tutorials on there, someone that comes to mind straight away is Mt Mograph.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
In regards to the first question it depends to what kind of example your referring to :) if you want text to pop up in your video and for you to have control of placement, font type and animation of the text then its more of a task for Premier pro or after effects as they allow for that kind of digital movement. if you mean something closer to closed captioning then that can be toggled in your creator settings I believe.

As for your 2nd question it can take a lot of practise and effort to get nice smooth digital movement and again your best bet is premier pro or after effects to help get the tracking nice and smooth. depending on how involved what you need to move on the screen is I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you? (I use premierpro on a day to day basis and have quite a bit of experience with digital movement...) I wouldnt be able to do complex animation but if you just need something to move across the screen or pop up at a specific time then I would be more than happy to help you out if you like?

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
They'll probably be using Premiere Pro alongside After Effect
Well, to be honest I kind of doubt this. Dan and Phil have been making videos for 8+ years and I can't really see them buying such expensive programs in their younger years (though of course I could be quite wrong).

if you want text to pop up in your video and for you to have control of placement, font type and animation of the text
Yeah, I was more talking about titles etc. Filmora offers quite a variety of titles, but there is only so much you can adjust to the timing. I can think of some ways around it (giving every word their own text layer and doing the timing manually for each word), but they are quite cumbersome n.n"

depending on how involved what you need to move on the screen is I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you? (I use premierpro on a day to day basis and have quite a bit of experience with digital movement...) I wouldnt be able to do complex animation but if you just need something to move across the screen or pop up at a specific time then I would be more than happy to help you out if you like?
That is so nice of you! I mostly looking into throwing in little pictures and making my sit-down-walk-videos a bit more visually interesting. I don't know if it easy to do, nor to explain xD But thanks so much for the offer! If I ever have a concrete idea I'll definitely shoot you a message :)

Reactions: TYTD

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well, to be honest I kind of doubt this. Dan and Phil have been making videos for 8+ years and I can't really see them buying such expensive programs in their younger years (though of course I could be quite wrong).

Yeah, I was more talking about titles etc. Filmora offers quite a variety of titles, but there is only so much you can adjust to the timing. I can think of some ways around it (giving every word their own text layer and doing the timing manually for each word), but they are quite cumbersome n.n"
Ahh I get yer! :) that shouldnt be a problem at all! :) a more moderately budgeted editing software I could reccommend for that kind of thing would be Sony vegas :) Im not going to lie it's still not cheap (Its between £115 and £150 typically) but it's a great intermediate piece of editing software that will let you manipulate text exactly how you'd like it to be along side other features like digital tracking for video and l more involved layered video editing. its more of an investment really because editing software very rarely changes significantly between versions.

That is so nice of you! I mostly looking into throwing in little pictures and making my sit-down-walk-videos a bit more visually interesting. I don't know if it easy to do, nor to explain xD But thanks so much for the offer! If I ever have a concrete idea I'll definitely shoot you a message :)
No trouble, there are several options really that'll help to give your videos a bit of a nudge it all really depends on how involved you want to go with it. basic minor digital moves can be done in minutes...but full blown animations or more involved motion tracking might be quite a bit more involved :)

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I use picmonkey to create text with transparent backgrounds then overlay it in my video and sync it to the audio that way.

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I use picmonkey to create text with transparent backgrounds then overlay it in my video and sync it to the audio that way.
Do you mean you create one single image or word art? And then insert it as a png file and basicly show it as a picture? Because that wasn't exactly what I was aiming for ;)

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So if you want the words to appear one at a time basically create an image 1280x720 transparent background and save the image individually for each time a word is added. I hope this makes sense?

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ah, yes, I get what you mean ;) But I can create the same effect with the word art already available in Filmora, without having to go through the trouble of making the words. It's more that timing the appearance of the words is a lot of work.