Suggestions : Hard drives for recording ?

MBGaming

I've Got It
Hey guys !

I am thinking to buy a dedicated hard drive for recording - the main reason would be for the extra disk space.
But after, I've read that a lot of people suggest is better to have a hard drive that is only for recording videos.

I still didn't understand which would be better: a 3.0 USB HDD or a Desktop HDD - 7200 RPM ?
Do you have a separate HDD for recording and what do you guys suggest to buy ?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

I use an external hard drive, and i have it set that when I record it goes directly to it. I also found a way to run itunes off it as well so that helps with storage on my computer at well. LOVE IT! I have a:
WD My Book 3TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0

It depends if you want to take it on the go. An external could be great as you could record right to it, and then edit it on your laptop or something if you were away from home. But, externals are usually more expensive than internals, and tend to transfer slower as they use USB 3.0 ports (nowadays anyways) instead of the internal sata ports.
An internal drive is more affordable, but not portable. Also if you don't have any knowledge about working with computer hardware, it could be slightly more difficult to hook up. (it's only 2 cords though.)
Actual core hardware wise, there isn't much difference. Theoretically you could take apart an external HDD and make it internal, and vice versa. You just get portability with a Portable one.

It depends if you want to take it on the go. An external could be great as you could record right to it, and then edit it on your laptop or something if you were away from home. But, externals are usually more expensive than internals, and tend to transfer slower as they use USB 3.0 ports (nowadays anyways) instead of the internal sata ports.
An internal drive is more affordable, but not portable. Also if you don't have any knowledge about working with computer hardware, it could be slightly more difficult to hook up. (it's only 2 cords though.)
Actual core hardware wise, there isn't much difference. Theoretically you could take apart an external HDD and make it internal, and vice versa. You just get portability with a Portable one.
I use an external hard drive, and i have it set that when I record it goes directly to it. I also found a way to run itunes off it as well so that helps with storage on my computer at well. LOVE IT! I have a:
WD My Book 3TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0
Thanks a lot guys for the info and suggestions ;-)
I think I found in the end a good solution : amazon.com/Black-Performance-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00FJRS6FU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448911871&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+black&linkCode=sl1&tag=nickbunyun-20&linkId=c8c9378c2ed9e6f630c1550098d43203

Good choice. The wd black will give you faster read write times which is slightly better for games and video editing alike. As opposed to the cheaper wd blue.

Back