Starting to vlog?

Festive

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi, soon I'm going to purchase the Sony Alpha A5100 as my first vlogging camera. I'm really excited to start doing these video but was looking for some advice. I want my videos to be really good, I don't want them to be bad or average and I understand that with time you'll develop more and more and will improve but I don't want to just do a thing where I'm vlogging myself and using jump cuts. I want good shots and angles and editing and all that. I really admire what Casey Neistat does and I don't want to rip off his style (not that I could ever come close to doing what he does) but that's sort of the vibe I want with my vlogs as far as production quality. I don't have any expensive drones or anything however on-top of the Alpha I do also have a Canon DSLR (However you can't see yourself while recording and it's mainly used for pictures). I also know how to use Camtasia studio very well for editing and have been using it for years. Any advice is welcomed <3 thanks

Reactions: Jesus Trejo

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
So, I'm just going to cut it short: You're not going to be good right of the bat. I'm sorry to say, but we all start as bad or average. You need to experiment, learn your style, find out what works and what doesn't. Even Casey Neistat started as bad or average. He didn't just emerge on Youtube as good as he is now. He learned through trial and error.

It does seem you have a good idea of what kind of vlogs you want to make: cinematic vlogs. You can check out Eddie van de Meer (just type it into youtube), he has some amazing cinematic vlogs with very little talking. Just take and combine elements of different styles that you like and mush it all together.

But really, nobody starts good. We're all average at one point!

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the video editing / recording / hardware discussion forum. ^_^

Festive

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, I'm just going to cut it short: You're not going to be good right of the bat. I'm sorry to say, but we all start as bad or average. You need to experiment, learn your style, find out what works and what doesn't. Even Casey Neistat started as bad or average. He didn't just emerge on Youtube as good as he is now. He learned through trial and error.

It does seem you have a good idea of what kind of vlogs you want to make: cinematic vlogs. You can check out Eddie van de Meer (just type it into youtube), he has some amazing cinematic vlogs with very little talking. Just take and combine elements of different styles that you like and mush it all together.

But really, nobody starts good. We're all average at one point!
Thanks for the feed back c: I appreciate it. And I checked out Eddie's videos and there great.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Just to chime in agreement with some of the comments on here but to confirm: yes. your first videos will suck, but thats okay. these first few videos will really be a learning curve towards getting to where you want to go, slowly but surely as you continue to refine your style, learn the editing software better and get to grips with who you want to aimyour vlogs at you'll get better and better and before you know it you'll have a solid set of content and a firm foundation fan base :)

if I can offer any advice in terms of vlogging I would say just make sure you speak clearly, reasonably loudly and confidently. Pace yourself because quite often people will either speak at a million miles a second or 2 words an hour. I've found in the past that the best thing you cando is to try and get a rhythm going if you can...just something that helps keep you on track of your pacing so your not talking too fast or too slow :) Also; and this sounds daft but try and make your video as long as the topic your speaking about, quite often I see people who either start a video about a topic and then drift aimlessly for 15 minutes, or they start a topic and finish it within 2 minutes (Followed by a 13 minute ramble) OR they stick on topic but get waaaaaaay too involved in it and spend half an hour talking about something that should really only take up 10 minutes or so :) So figure out what you want to say, keep it on point and you'll walk it :)

I wish you the best of luck with it :) I look forward to seeing your first video :)

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Just keep creating and don't overthink stuff too much in the beginning, having something published is better than something you are still trying to make right. Over time you will know what works for you, and what doesn't.

As for the look, no matter what your shooting on make sure you have the lighting sorted, use what you have, natural light, lamps, bounce light if you need to, look up DSLR Video Shooter on YouTube, he has some great tutorials and thinks about people on all sorts of budgets.