Sponsorships. Where to begin..?

Reaction score
I'm at the point in my channel where I need to start getting sponsorships to pay for all the time I spend doing YouTube.

I have over 10k subscribers, and almost 4 million video views. I joined FameBit, but it doesn't seem to fit me. I'm a Compilations/commentary channel, I choose not to show myself, or invest in expensive cameras, etc. The brands that post there are for a very defined audience, not one like mine. I think Dollar Shave Club would be good for me because my viewer base is dominantly male, 18-35 range.

Where else do I go? I refuse to go to a network because I don't need to have the little ad revenue I get to be taken away.

Any insight welcome, thank you.

Coshi360Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well another option for a second income stream through youtube would be to have affiliate links (like amazon products for example) promoting things that are related to your videos.

Luminick

Reaction score
Having seen your channel recently (hello from Reddit), I think probably the best option would be affiliate links, as mentioned here. You would be able to link to books and materials that could help further the message you are portraying in your videos, as well as you might be able to point out what people are using at certain points in time in the video and link directly to them in your description. Remember, in terms of Amazon affiliate links, along with a lot of others, you don't need for them to buy that EXACT item, but instead as long as they click on it, you've got a cookie for them that if they purchase something else from that website, you still get a profit.

Reaction score
Thanks Luminick! And that sounds like a good idea, but how to you go about promoting amazing affiliate links? Never done that before.

Luminick

Reaction score
Thanks Luminick! And that sounds like a good idea, but how to you go about promoting amazing affiliate links? Never done that before.
Assuming that you're already signed up with Amazon's affiliate program (you can find it at the bottom of the Amazon home page if you're not), then you can do it a few different ways. For older videos, you can always put something relevant in the description for people to find there. Don't put the link in the top 3 lines though, because that's what your SEO is going to be mostly focused on. Put it a bit lower than that. If you do it in this fashion, try and do something along the lines of "If you'd like to know more...." and then put your product/link in.

Alternatively, you can also input it in the description and make sure to work it together with the video. On one of my "how to" videos, I was interviewing an author, and I mentioned that I was going to put her link into the description. Because this was my Amazon link, all sales made through it benefited both of us, and we both were able to earn some money from it that way.

If you end up doing reviews of different products or books (I don't know if that falls in line with your content, but we're still at the size where we can do that if we want to) then you should be able to work it in that way as well.

The possibilities are endless, but always try and be sincere and don't post too much or else you'll get a bad rap with your audience.

Reaction score
Assuming that you're already signed up with Amazon's affiliate program (you can find it at the bottom of the Amazon home page if you're not), then you can do it a few different ways. For older videos, you can always put something relevant in the description for people to find there. Don't put the link in the top 3 lines though, because that's what your SEO is going to be mostly focused on. Put it a bit lower than that. If you do it in this fashion, try and do something along the lines of "If you'd like to know more...." and then put your product/link in.

Alternatively, you can also input it in the description and make sure to work it together with the video. On one of my "how to" videos, I was interviewing an author, and I mentioned that I was going to put her link into the description. Because this was my Amazon link, all sales made through it benefited both of us, and we both were able to earn some money from it that way.

If you end up doing reviews of different products or books (I don't know if that falls in line with your content, but we're still at the size where we can do that if we want to) then you should be able to work it in that way as well.

The possibilities are endless, but always try and be sincere and don't post too much or else you'll get a bad rap with your audience.
Ahh, okay I think I understand it now. I will have to look into that! I am a "faceless" entity at the moment, it's really a game that I don't want my face on something just yet, but I always said after I hit 20k, which is approaching quickly, that I would do a face reveal.

As for the relevant, I always wanted something that could be said quick, or something I could make a video about and think it'll do well. So is it set up like, just pick and choose? How is the revenue with this as well?

Luminick

Reaction score
As for the relevant, I always wanted something that could be said quick, or something I could make a video about and think it'll do well. So is it set up like, just pick and choose? How is the revenue with this as well?
You can pick and choose whatever you want to link to. They'll let you make text links to any Amazon product, ranging from books/movies to food, to computer and vehicle parts. So, it can be anything you want it to be. As far as how the revenue works, it depends on what people buy, and each major department has a breakdown of what you can make, but that's up to what the viewers/clickers purchase, not so much on specifically what you're showing them (although they're more likely to buy what you show them).

Reaction score
You can pick and choose whatever you want to link to. They'll let you make text links to any Amazon product, ranging from books/movies to food, to computer and vehicle parts. So, it can be anything you want it to be. As far as how the revenue works, it depends on what people buy, and each major department has a breakdown of what you can make, but that's up to what the viewers/clickers purchase, not so much on specifically what you're showing them (although they're more likely to buy what you show them).
Ahhhh, I see what you mean. So it's kind of what I understand apomsoring audible would be, you have a link, and whoever clicks it and/or buys it, you get a kick back from it? I'm definitely gonna have to look into that, I honestly never knew that. Thank you SO MUCH!

Luminick

Reaction score
Right, kind of like Audible (which is actually owned by Amazon, so you'll be able to use those as well), but it's not like one of the official Audible sponsorship. So, with the official Audible sponsorship, you'd get a kick back of $XXX per person signing up, even with the free trial. With the Amazon affiliate, which is open to everybody and doesn't require a sponsorship deal, you'd get a kickback for any sales made, with the percentage determined by what department the sold item is from. And it is a percentage, not a set amount, so in *theory* you could earn more than you anticipate. So, let's say that XYZ person buys your $10 book suggestion, but at the same time also purchases a laptop and a 2017 Mazda 6 (I kid you not, you can buy cars on Amazon). You'd get a percentage of kickback from all of that, all for a single link click.

It should be noted that the cookie on their system does expire after (I think) 30 days, or if they wipe their system or browser than it is gone that way as well, but the *potential* is there!

Reaction score
Right, kind of like Audible (which is actually owned by Amazon, so you'll be able to use those as well), but it's not like one of the official Audible sponsorship. So, with the official Audible sponsorship, you'd get a kick back of $XXX per person signing up, even with the free trial. With the Amazon affiliate, which is open to everybody and doesn't require a sponsorship deal, you'd get a kickback for any sales made, with the percentage determined by what department the sold item is from. And it is a percentage, not a set amount, so in *theory* you could earn more than you anticipate. So, let's say that XYZ person buys your $10 book suggestion, but at the same time also purchases a laptop and a 2017 Mazda 6 (I kid you not, you can buy cars on Amazon). You'd get a percentage of kickback from all of that, all for a single link click.

It should be noted that the cookie on their system does expire after (I think) 30 days, or if they wipe their system or browser than it is gone that way as well, but the *potential* is there!
Holy f**k! I feel like so much time has been wasted! I just copied a book from a person I make videos about, and pasted the link in the pinned comment, which is fitting. This is the most uplifting thing I've seen and can't believe it has taken me this long to find it! Never too late to start, I guess.

What do you mean by cookie? Maybe be a dumb question, but do you mean the links I provide?