Soundproofing

ColdRansom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi everyone! I've been struggling with noise complaints since my first multiplayer title, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
Now that I am a gaming YouTuber who lives in a home with people who have "normal" sleep schedules, I am restricted to recording only when I am home alone. If you have seen the first 5 seconds of ANY of my videos then you know why. xD

What I'm trying to do is find a very affordable (under $150 preferably) way to soundproof my room so that I can record videos without waking up the entire house. I've looked up many different methods of doing so, but the only effective method seems to be to build a room within a room, which can cost thousands of dollars.

Let it be known that I do not care how makeshift this will be, but I cannot damage or reconstruct the walls because we are renters. Thanks in advance for the help!! ^.^

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Many gamers use Elgato and snowball mics. I think they're effective but I have never tried them though. Maybe use a LAVALIER MIC because it records your voice and remove the noise.

ColdRansom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Many gamers use Elgato and snowball mics. I think they're effective but I have never tried them though. Maybe use a LAVALIER MIC because it records your voice and remove the noise.
I might have been unclear. By "noise complaints" I am referring to the people who live in my house. They get irritated by my loud yelling and laughter. The issue is not outside noise being picked up when I'm recording, but the noise I make while recording getting out of the room and waking up people who are sleeping.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I might have been unclear. By "noise complaints" I am referring to the people who live in my house. They get irritated by my loud yelling and laughter. The issue is not outside noise being picked up when I'm recording, but the noise I make while recording getting out of the room and waking up people who are sleeping.
Oh ok. That costs alot. If I had to record something, I will definitely wait until no one is home. However you can use some heavy curtains and blankets to cover the door. Maybe vibration insulation pads would be great idea :)

Reactions: ColdRansom

Silverado

Reaction score
Go to your local lowes or appliance store and get a box that used to ship fridge in. cut out one side of it. cover the rest of the interior with egg carton. put this over you when you play and enjoy.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I've heard the egg carton thing is a myth. :/
I read an article about the famous egg cartons, they do something but compared to proper materials they are absolutely awful. The best DIY solution you can come up with is to buy something like pillow foam and cut it to create the irregular surface kind of like the attached picture (I hope it shows properly because I'm from the mobile)

uploadfromtaptalk1478425678104.jpg

ColdRansom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you guys for the advise! Really intelligent solutions! I will let you know when the project is finished! ^.^