So, how long are your gameplay videos?

iamvroom

I've Got It
Was looking at the audience retention graph of one of my videos and saw this (picture below). Apart from the fact that the introduction of the particular video used for the graph is really bad (hence the sharp dropoff at the beginning) the things that strikes me the most is the falloff around the 20 minute mark - would you interpret it as possible attention span of the viewers? How long do you make your gaming videos?
gameplay.jpg

Normally its a good idea to keep them under 20 minutes if they are gameplay videos or roughly to 20 minutes and publish them as episodes... but it depends on a lot of things - the game, the jokes, there to be no long period gaps of silence or nothing happening.

When I makr Let's Play's on 'DanDaSimmer' I always go for the 20 minute mark (and definitely no longer than 25 minutes). As I continued to make videos I started editing them, cutting loading screens and boring parts so all 20 minutes actually had something for the audience to engage with :)

In my opinion it depends on the amount of Subscribers you have. If you have a decent amount than you can upload longer videos but still no longer than 25-30mins. If you don't have that many subs and you want to be recognized than you should make shorter videos because people who just found your channel wont sit through 30minute videos since they don't know you.

For gameplays I like to go under 20 minutes whether it be raw footage or cut up. Also if your recording sessions are shorter then you have more opportunities to incorporate subscriber feedback into future videos. Also, as a daily uploader can you really expect people to sit a 1 hour video. P.S. I did notice that not all your videos are 1 hour long.

Judging by your views in relation to your subscriber count, I'd much recommend you shorten your walkthroughs and make them more snappy and memorable.

I usually try to keep my videos around 5 min. In my opinion, the shorter the better. If you're able to convey a message in 2 minutes why do it in 10? People are always in a rush nowadays x)

Normally its a good idea to keep them under 20 minutes if they are gameplay videos or roughly to 20 minutes and publish them as episodes... but it depends on a lot of things - the game, the jokes, there to be no long period gaps of silence or nothing happening.
Lord man unless you are extremely funny or i'm super invested in the game I can't sit and watch over 30 minutes that's insane.
When I makr Let's Play's on 'DanDaSimmer' I always go for the 20 minute mark (and definitely no longer than 25 minutes). As I continued to make videos I started editing them, cutting loading screens and boring parts so all 20 minutes actually had something for the audience to engage with :)

I think you are right, so you are saying that completely disregarding how much material you have the end result should be below 20minutes - 25 minutes tops?

In my opinion it depends on the amount of Subscribers you have. If you have a decent amount than you can upload longer videos but still no longer than 25-30mins. If you don't have that many subs and you want to be recognized than you should make shorter videos because people who just found your channel wont sit through 30minute videos since they don't know you.

Very valid point here, thank you .

For gameplays I like to go under 20 minutes whether it be raw footage or cut up. Also if your recording sessions are shorter then you have more opportunities to incorporate subscriber feedback into future videos. Also, as a daily uploader can you really expect people to sit a 1 hour video. P.S. I did notice that not all your videos are 1 hour long.
Judging by your views in relation to your subscriber count, I'd much recommend you shorten your walkthroughs and make them more snappy and memorable.

Thank you for this comment - you made me realize I was being lazy with editing, why should the viewer care how much the creator recorded - the important thing for the viewer is the end result and that DOES require editing 30-70% of the original video depending on how well you record.

I've moved this to the Strategies and Technique advice forum.

<3 Much appreciated

I usually try to keep my videos around 5 min. In my opinion, the shorter the better. If you're able to convey a message in 2 minutes why do it in 10? People are always in a rush nowadays x)

I would agree that a compilation of a 1 hour gameplay could take 5 minutes. Just a playthrough does not feel like that much of editing the audience expects a bit more meat on the bones there, just not above the 20 minute mark I guess.

Our videos are around 5 minutes in hopes that most people will stay that long.

Wasn't the average view time something about 3 minutes? So if you can keep people there for 5 you are a wizard, Harry!

Back