Should I stick to a Niche?

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey hey hey! So when I first created my channel I had an idea of what I wanted it to be about in mind. The more I’m thinking about it and more work I’m doing I’m not sure if I want to/will be able to stick to that. So I guess my main question here is should I choose one niche and stick to it no matter what? Or could I have a hodgepodge of videos/topics. I’m worried having a bunch of random topics will be annoying and make people not want to subscribe but there’s channels like Shane Dawson where his content is all over the place. Or he started a topic then jumped to another type.

Idk maybe what are the pros and cons of each type of channel?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its generally advised to stick within 1 genre/niche.
My first channel consisted of a mish mash of family vlogs / diet and excersise / walking videos / comedy sketches / car and motorbike reviews and how to's
Basically some videos did well / some didnt. I struggled to gain subs. Any potential sub just didnt know what the channel was or to expect so didnt stick around.
I went through my vids and noted the videos that did best / that I enjoyed most and rebranded as a car channel. Subs and views went after thereatfer.

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Sticking to a niche ensures your subscribers won't suddenly see their sought after, highly specialized videos (in my case it's about music composing software) cluttered with cat content, gossip or some travelogue style stuff.
I recommend you to stick to your niche (that niche is the reason users subscribe YOUR channel and not one of the countless others).

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YES at First. BUT look at my channel, I don't know how to stick to one subject.
I have Reviews, Dogs, Aquariums, How-to, Plants/Flowers, Food, games.
It just happened like this over the years. I've tried making separate channels for My Games, Food, Concerts, Reviews, But they struggle to get views and subs, while my main channel continues to grow every month and pays me adsense $$$. Weird...