Should I get a website?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I get your point but you also have to take in consideration that there will be a chance for many people to look at my channel when they come across my videos not necessary subscribe but I can link my website in the channel and hopefully people will perhaps check it out :)

This week I had 5K page views :thumbsup2:

Plus the website is just a second source to get a little boost of views I cant believe it won't get me anything plus I could also have a small income from the ads on the site :) You need to start small and build up your way ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1490481465,1490481371][/DOUBLEPOST]
Alright thanks but do you pay something to have it or is it one time payment?
pay a certain amount once a year!

ClimaxGaming

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I get your point but you also have to take in consideration that there will be a chance for many people to look at my channel when they come across my videos not necessary subscribe but I can link my website in the channel and hopefully people will perhaps check it out :)

This week I had 5K page views :thumbsup2:

Plus the website is just a second source to get a little boost of views I cant believe it won't get me anything plus I could also have a small income from the ads on the site :) You need to start small and build up your way ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1490481465,1490481371][/DOUBLEPOST]
Alright thanks but do you pay something to have it or is it one time payment?
Well that's true! good luck on your website! :D

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
maybe its the page views for my google account perhaps
Yeah, that's why I asked if you had a website or something, because you keep saying "page views" which is a website traffic term that YouTube doesn't use in your channel analytics.

I was working on some Amazon Christmas sales numbers a few years ago and found an interesting pattern... each time a customer had to make a jump from one category (page) to another, only 10% made the jump. So let's say, of all DVD sales on Amazon, only 10% of that was kids DVD's, and of the kids DVD sales only 10% was animated cartoons... so on and so forth. So optimistically 2k YouTube views a month might equal 200 unique site visitors (not page views) a month. 20 might visit your e-store, 2 might consider purchasing something and .2 (POINT 2) actually would. That's like 2 sales a year. An e-commerce site is a lot more work than 2 t-shirt sales a year will justify. It's why I said go connect to car forums. Getting your name out to 50 or 100 sites interested in your endeavor will go a lot further than just waiting for people to roll in from YouTube, but your site has to be on the money and full of content to do it. Because pessimistically, 17k views in a year (which is a great job) and 23 subscribers is like a .0014 conversion rate. If only 23 people out of 17k were interested in subscribing, how many of those 23 do you think would purchase swag from you based on a .0014 conversion rate? I don't mean to be harsh, just trying to let you know you don't have the customer base to justify the cost of an e-commerce site just yet. Can you do it, yes. Will you get that very first, number one customer sooner, yes. Will you pay out more in your first year than you make, yes. It's why the people with online sales experience are telling you to wait a bit rather than pumping you up and telling you to jump in head first.

Beyond the e-commerce side of things, starting the site itself now isn't a bad idea. It'll give you a chance to work out the kinks and build a really nice site before the real traffic starts rolling in. Having said that, when you go to choose a FTP program, I highly recommend a digital download or disk (hard copy) purchase over the online only options. The former will allow you to design and redesign your site at your whim for years, where the latter if you don't pay the monthly fee every single month, they'll delete your site. Online editors sound cheaper but in the long run, a decent hard copy FTP program can be purchased for $50 or less.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Okay but what about the clothe you sell is it easy to find a supplier and can they custom make them in the quality I wish?
Or do you make them yourself and do you even get a income from them or is the custom videos the best sellers? :)
I use a local supplier and they will make me any number from 1 to 100,000 shirts at a time. For now, the point of selling the shirts is more for branding/advertising, but we make a few $$ from each sale..
We make FAR more from custom videos. It's not unusual to pocket $500-$700 after taking a big group out.

SimplyAlexTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
a GOOD website is nothing easy to setup and maintain but it's SO WORTH IT.
I've a little advantage as i'm coming from web development but i've created a website
at the exact moment when i created my youtube channel and i'm getting more views / visitors
on there because of good SEO than on my youtube channel.
I also post articles on there that go along with the content / theme of my videos.

for some statistic purpose, website + channel created both about a week ago:

742 Visitors and 1418 page views! 250 of those from google & co!

channel: 2 videos / 43 views / 5 subs / 42mins viewing time

i'm working on redirecting more of my website viewers to my channel
but i guess you get my point. Website is always worth the effort!