Quality or Quantity?

Quality or Quantity

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moses Minchuk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What is better when starting out? Quality or quantity? or should I do both?

JTMulcahy

Actor
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Animator
Generally you want to get to a point where you can do both, but if you're just starting out, focus on making the best video that you can make within your means.

Reactions: TS Tony

Moses Minchuk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Generally you want to get to a point where you can do both, but if you're just starting out, focus on making the best video that you can make within your means.
Wouldn't both be better if your starting out? Because I feel like if you put your best effort in your like first 20 videos it will bring a bigger audience then you can focus more on quality. I mean thats what I think.

Reactions: JTMulcahy

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think quantity is most important when starting off. Because when you are starting off it is very hard to make quality videos. Having quality videos comes through two things trial and error and time. Plus, if you are a YouTuber just starting off you probably won't have much of an audience so there is no pressure to make super amazing content.

I am doing this thing where I making a video every single day in the month of November. For me, the reason for doing this is just to learn how to make good videos. I have learned a lot so far, even though I know most of the videos I made this month were horrible.

Also, once you gain an audience you can just private or unlist your old not quality videos. Once you have made a bunch of videos you will know what type of videos you want, how often you want to upload and how much quality you to put into each upload. Some people could spend months on a single video and will be top notch quality, but unfortunately YouTube doesn't work that way. Automatically YouTubers who follow a strict schedule probably sacrifice some quality but only because they know what quality content means to them and what they expect from themselves.

So basically I think focus on quantity when starting out.

Also check out "The Gap" by Ira Glass on YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juzey and BrotoNBA

Moses Cheeks

Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Quality has to be itleast decent. And if it is so, then quantity

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You should work on a balance of both. You din't want to overload yourself and lose quality but you don't want to be such a perfectionist that you lose a lot of quantity.

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When starting out? Quality and Search Engine Optimization

Hands down, period, end of story! lol seriously
But I think that would be if your main priority starting out is to get tons of views. Also in my opinion it is hard to make quality convent when first starting out, watch most big YouTubers first video and they aren't that good.

PrettyKeli

PrettyKeli
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
But I think that would be if your main priority starting out is to get tons of views. Also in my opinion it is hard to make quality convent when first starting out, watch most big YouTubers first video and they aren't that good.
Isn't everyone's priority starting out to get views? I never understand why people say this. People are on youtube to get views right? or am I missing something?

It's very easy to make quality content starting out. It is all about

Time, effort, energy, and hard work. Oh and Research

If you do tons of research, put in the time, effort, and energy? Your first video could be a banger!!!

Do the absolute best with what you have and SEO the living s%^& out of it and you will become an overnight success. Period

Would you have 1 video that ranks in the top 3 for "How to tie a tie" on YouTube

Or

Would you rather have 50 videos that each gain 1000 views over a 3 month period?

I rest my case

The correct answer is QUALITY and SEO

Reactions: JTMulcahy

JTMulcahy

Actor
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Animator
Wouldn't both be better if your starting out? Because I feel like if you put your best effort in your like first 20 videos it will bring a bigger audience then you can focus more on quality. I mean thats what I think.
True, but the thing is when you first start out you realize that working on creating a quality video takes a LOT of time and then if you add that you want to create multiple videos that are high quality...well it just takes a lot of energy away from you. Then also add in school, job, free time, it all starts to really weigh you down.

I LOVE making videos, but I realized that starting off I need to pace myself by creating quality videos and not focus too much on quantity, of course I have hiccups along the way, but I've noticed a following building up.

Like @PrettyKeli said, look into SEO tips. You don't want to spend all of your energy creating a bunch of videos and no one watches, you want to spend some time figuring out how to get those videos seen by the masses, unless of course you're making videos just for yourself which is fine too.

@CoolMoo5 I agree with what you're saying, in terms of video/audio quality, but when I say quality I mean overall video quality. I'm referring to attitude, lighting, music, sound effects, editing, these are all things that you have control of when you're starting off no matter the circumstance. By adding subtle sound effects and music to your video you can improve the quality ten fold.

It also depends on what kind of videos you plan on making.

Reactions: PrettyKeli