[Premiere] Write-On effect won't animate line

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
‘After Effects’. I will admit I have never used that programme. In the first place I couldn’t afford it and then the learning curve might have been to much
After Effects been scratching it's way in my brain for several years now, lightroom made it through with an annoying learning curve, but After Effects seems to be the real future challenge :confusedphones:
I am a beginner
how much of a beginner? do you have a channel? I made a video with map directions & literally recorded the PC screen with a camera, me being next to the screen
Just found that video & started laughing when saw myself pointing at the screen with a pencil at 1:04 mark, good times :biggrin:

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
. With due respect to LandyVlad and the tutorials, I think that the programme Route Generator I suggested is so much quicker and easier to use.

... I will conclude by showing you a copy I made of a map yesterday using Route Generator.

Don't worry Pete I'll check it out for myself too!
Given it uses google maps, though does it work for international stuff (sea journeys specifically)?
I want to do a short video of the route a ship took from England to Australia...

the idea being an animated version of this http://www.gayundah.info/?page_id=267 which I can overlay (or really 'underlay' LOL ) historical photos on.

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks LanyVlad. I haven't used Route Generator much as I don't require an active map very often. So in most respects I'm a raw beginner. However, for my simple needs it was very easy to get the basics and you see the result. I see no reason why what you want to create shouldn't be easy also. The programme has many facilities I haven't even looked at yet.

If I can find time today I will look into it. (If I can find the time???? - that's a joke as I'm still under 'lockdown' in my home being a vulnerable person in this virus period).
Pete.

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi LandyVlad,
Here is my test in ROUTE GENERATOR of a route from London to the east coast of Australia. I have learnt a couple of things. At the moment it’s not possible to zoom in whilst creating the map but the developer says this is planned for the future. That would make planning a route in fine detail much easier.

What I did was to view the world in Google maps and saved that and imported it into my graphic programme and cropped it to the desired size. Then used that in Route Generator.

Within the programme you can select from a variety of line types and colours. I chose the dotted line in red. I set the programme to start recording about 5 second after the start and left about 7 seconds at the very end. There are several other items you can choose and set in the ‘Preferences’.

Hope this is of interest.
Pete.

Reactions: LandyVlad

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi LandyVlad,
I just couldn’t resist trying it out. I took the first map video file and put it into my Premiere programme and added a couple of graphics and some zooming and panning etc. plus a bit of music.

Pete

Legacy academy

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I am having an issue which I cannot resolve. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some direction.

I have a map and animated points on the map. I used Write-On effect in Premiere to animate a line (path) going through these points on a map. It worked flawlessly the first time. Than I moved the Write-On layer under the point, directly above Map.png and moved one point. From that moment on I cannot get the path to be animated. Only thing that happens is the whole path (closed loops path) get drawn at the first key frame. What am I doing wrong?
I tried doing the whole path again. And as I am putting in key frames the whole path gets drawn correctly. But as soon as I play the sequence, the first key frame draws the whole path.

EDIT: And one more thing to add. As soon as I play the sequence in premiere CPU load jumps to 100% and even when I press PAUSE in stays at 100% for 5-10 seconds. Line is drawn with delay of 5-10 seconds. Not to mention it takes 45min to encode 55 second sequence.
So wanna colab

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi LandyVlad. Glad you liked my efforts, it was fun learning and doing it. I've only heard about Resolve and have never even seen it. I'm sure the Zoom and Pan facilities are there as they seem to be standard.

We don't seem to have any follow up from the original poster - Forecasting Stone - and I wonder if he has made any progress with his planned project.
Pete

Reaction score
I used exactly this video to make my animation.

It first it worked, than all of a sudden - when I moved one point - it started lagging, and it all broke down.

Well, I make videos for myself. First of all I haven't planned a story yet. And all of the topics I think about are already "out there" :) So more or less I am putting together memories.

But I would like to make quality content at some point that's why I decided to put my time into Premiere. I used Sony Vegas before, but switched to premiere since I got the feeling it has more support.
Thanks for all the answers. I'll go through all the videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
OK, since I would really like to clear this thing up I started from scratch. Layers:

Second Layer- Adjustment layer with Write-On Effect
Base layer - map.png (3700x1800 pixels)

I marked 15 points on the map. And guided Write-On effect through this points. To encode 10 seconds of the animated line with write on effects it takes almost 60 seconds to encode. Now my questions follows; Is that because the base layer is so big in resolution? I cannot understand why CPU would be loaded on 100% just to draw this simple line.

Whoever wants to try it - so you don't go through the whole video - you take base layer as a map, than you put either a new layer on put the Write-On effect on base layer. Makes 'Brush position' time stamp. Move forward in time for let say 3 seconds. Make a new timestamp with different Brush Position. Create 10-15 of this time stamps and see if it guts the CPU.