[Premiere] Write-On effect won't animate line

Hi guys.
I am having an issue which I cannot resolve. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some direction.

I have a map and animated points on the map. I used Write-On effect in Premiere to animate a line (path) going through these points on a map. It worked flawlessly the first time. Than I moved the Write-On layer under the point, directly above Map.png and moved one point. From that moment on I cannot get the path to be animated. Only thing that happens is the whole path (closed loops path) get drawn at the first key frame. What am I doing wrong?
I tried doing the whole path again. And as I am putting in key frames the whole path gets drawn correctly. But as soon as I play the sequence, the first key frame draws the whole path.

EDIT: And one more thing to add. As soon as I play the sequence in premiere CPU load jumps to 100% and even when I press PAUSE in stays at 100% for 5-10 seconds. Line is drawn with delay of 5-10 seconds. Not to mention it takes 45min to encode 55 second sequence.

Last edited:
I am a Premiere user (earlier version). Occasionally I want to use an animated map but I have never even tried within Premiere. I use ROUTE GENERATOR which is free and easy to use. I create the animated map, export as video and import it into the Premiere Time Line. Hope this helps.
Pete

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum & congrats on 1st post. Consider dialing back to the step where everything was working & from that point maybe think of a different way to proceed?

Thanks for responding :)
@Magic Pete: I will look into Route Generator. I really wanted to do it through Premiere (alternatively After Effects would be better) just to hone the skills.
@MirrorlessNY: I tried it. Started from scratch. Bellow is the photo of my timeline. What you see are the names of town and animated dots. On V2 layer I made new adjustment layer with Write-On effect. When I position the start of the line I mark the first keyframe. Next keyframe would be next dot, and then next dot, etc. While making this line the whole thing is progressing as it should - line is animated from the first dot, continuing to the second, to the third all the way back to the first dot, making a loop. But, as soon as I play the animation, whole loop is visible on first dot.

The whole thing - all the layers - were Nested to a Sequence. And this nested sequence was used on main timeline. I noticed if you're not careful with sequences you get some sort of mirroring effect when you unintentionally create nested sequence withing a sequence. Please note, I am not a pro in any way. And I am sure there are also other ways of doing this. But I did it initially and it worked. After I moved one dot on the map and corrected the line, and putting it on a layer bellow dots, whole thing went other way.

Attachments

• 54325243542.JPG
    54325243542.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for responding :)
@Magic Pete: I will look into Route Generator. I really wanted to do it through Premiere (alternatively After Effects would be better) just to hone the skills.
@MirrorlessNY: I tried it. Started from scratch. Bellow is the photo of my timeline. What you see are the names of town and animated dots. On V2 layer I made new adjustment layer with Write-On effect. When I position the start of the line I mark the first keyframe. Next keyframe would be next dot, and then next dot, etc. While making this line the whole thing is progressing as it should - line is animated from the first dot, continuing to the second, to the third all the way back to the first dot, making a loop. But, as soon as I play the animation, whole loop is visible on first dot.

The whole thing - all the layers - were Nested to a Sequence. And this nested sequence was used on main timeline. I noticed if you're not careful with sequences you get some sort of mirroring effect when you unintentionally create nested sequence withing a sequence. Please note, I am not a pro in any way. And I am sure there are also other ways of doing this. But I did it initially and it worked. After I moved one dot on the map and corrected the line, and putting it on a layer bellow dots, whole thing went other way.

WOW . . . The way you are doing it seems very long-winded and quite painful to me. But if that the way you want to learn to do it then so be it and the best of luck.

I made one this morning and it was so easy using Route Generator. Having said that, I too like trying the most difficult of effects just for the sake of learning to do so. Best Wishes. Pete.

I cant recall the exact name but there's a tutorial of how to do an Indiana jones style map line in premiere.

Here's the one I mean

these may also help

Hi Forecasting,

Thanks for your replies to mine and Mirrorless’s suggestions. In Mirrorless’s last posting he gave you a very simple way of achieving a practical result and I’m sure this would work. However, I think you desire to create a more ‘professional’ result. That brings me to a point that we (I) am not sure about. Why you want to create an animated map in the first place. Are you creating a video project in Premiere that you wish to include an animated map as part of the project?

I note you say that you are a beginner and yet you are using Premiere which is quite an advanced programme although the basics are simple enough to learn. You then mention ‘After Effects’. I will admit I have never used that programme. In the first place I couldn’t afford it and then the learning curve might have been to much for this old fella. (I would mention that I have been making films/videos for around 30 years and I’m well into retirement years now).

It’s been noticed that you have now received a reply from LandyVlad with three video tutorials that I’m sure will interest you. Very good they are too. With due respect to LandyVlad and the tutorials, I think that the programme Route Generator I suggested is so much quicker and easier to use.

I had intended to write more but as you now have these three videos to study I will conclude by showing you a copy I made of a map yesterday using Route Generator.

Keep up the good work.

Pete

Back