"No one clicked on it, no one liked it..."

ChineseIrish

Liking YTtalk
I saw this on Seth Godin's blog today and thought it was super applicable to us folk. ^^

"These two ideas are often uttered in the same sentence, but they're actually not related.

People don't click on things because they like them, or because they resonate with them, or because they change them.

They click on things because they think it will look good to their friends if they share them.

Or they click on things because it feels safe.

Or because they're bored.

Or mystified.

Or because other people are telling them to.

Think about the things you chat about over the water cooler. It might be last night's inane TV show, or last weekend's forgettable sporting event. But the things that really matter to you, resonate with you, touch you deeply--often those things are far too precious and real to be turned into an easy share or like or click.

Yes, you can architect content and sites and commerce to get a click. But you might also choose to merely make a difference."

I saw this on Seth Godin's blog today and thought it was super applicable to us folk. ^^

People don't click on things because they like them, or because they resonate with them, or because they change them.
I totally click on things for these reasons. I do for the other things to, but more so these reasons. Especially with fitness channels. I watch for resonation/motivation/personal growth.

This post comes off like a corporate office motivational poster about synergy

I totally click on things for these reasons. I do for the other things to, but more so these reasons. Especially with fitness channels. I watch for resonation/motivation/personal growth.

This post comes off like a corporate office motivational poster about synergy

In my viewing experience it's true.
One of my favourite channels is Inside Quest and they have 129 professionally made polished videos with amazing educational content, and yet only 7,200-ish subscribers.
Auntie Fee's channel has 140 videos and 394,000ish subs. She cooks and swears so it funny and more sharable than a 30 minute video on advice that might change your life.

I can't remember the last time someone posted a lecture on my Facebook feed but I'm sure it was a Ted Talk. Not saying Ted Talks are bad, just of course there's got to be more than just Ted out there.

Interesting post.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm currently reading a book called Cashvertising by Drew Eric Whitman. It's all about how and why advertising works from a psychological point of view. In other words, what makes consumers take action? What are their needs? It's a fascinating insight and some of it can be applied to writing video titles and designing thumbnails. But I think we have to find a balance between getting clicks and accurately representing the content of the video.

Interesting post.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm currently reading a book called Cashvertising by Drew Eric Whitman. It's all about how and why advertising works from a psychological point of view. In other words, what makes consumers take action? What are their needs? It's a fascinating insight and some of it can be applied to writing video titles and designing thumbnails. But I think we have to find a balance between getting clicks and accurately representing the content of the video.
Thats interesting. How has it changed how you advertise your videos?

Thats interesting. How has it changed how you advertise your videos?

I use the techniques from the book more in some of my other web activities (not just YouTube). Things like affiliate marketing, designing banners, choosing the best photos and writing good headlines and sub-headlines that get attention and more importantly action. It's also helped me write better titles for blog posts, that sort of thing.

For YouTube, I don't advertise my channel anywhere except to my own Twitter followers. I suppose the book has helped me write better tweets that grab the attention of my followers while still accurately describing the video. That last point is important because otherwise, you get a lot of clicks but terrible audience retention which will do more harm than good in the long term. It might not be worth getting the book just for YouTube, but I'm really interested in internet marketing and advertising anyway. Lots of internet marketers recommended me the book.

It might not be worth getting the book just for YouTube, but I'm really interested in internet marketing and advertising anyway. Lots of internet marketers recommended me the book.

Even still, thanks for sharing the book title. I try and bash away my doubting thoughts with "being good at something is just a knowledge game", so knowing what to read and what not to read is good info. Cheers

Back