My last video shows as 24fps though I do everything at 30fps?

JPV60

Reaction score
I'm just 3 months into my YT channel, using a smartphone only. I shoot all footage at 30fps and edit / export in iMovie at 4K. My other videos all show at 30fps in the Stats For Nerds pop-up window on YT but my last video shows at 24fps. Can't figure out why, and ideas?

Thanks,
John

JPV60

Reaction score
It's my understanding that with iMovie (version 10.1.12) that the first clip added to the timeline sets the parameters for the entire project so it's not possible to change frame rate on export, or during the editing process. I just checked again and even during editing, you can't even see what the frame rate of the project actually is. As close as you get, I believe, is to have a look at the "Project Settings" in iMovie and mine does read at 4K with no mention of frame rate. I think what goes in is what comes out and I always use the 4K setting on the phone.

What's very, very odd... I just now uploaded a single clip from this project and it shows as 30fps. It appears YouTube changed my video from 30fps to 24fps. If there's something I'm missing, would really like to find out as I am very new to this.

John

Attachments

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
in adobe same thing, first clip sets the frame rate for the project,,,,,,,,,,but at export can still change fps/resolution etc...,.................................... what about THE video file that you uploaded to youtube? right click it/properties does it say 24 or 30?

JPV60

Reaction score
I wish iMovie had that same capability to change frame rates / resolution too, I would have thought that would be something very basic to be included in all editing software. Now the odd thing, that single clip I exported from the full project... that one did show up as 30fps! I'm really at a loss here.

One more odd thing... the video I did previous to this one used static images and this shows up as 4K / 24 fps on YT. Did some settings, specifically the frame rate setting, somehow carry over from one project to the next in iMovie? Seems implausible but I'm at a loss here as to why my last 2 videos from iMovie to YouTube are at 4K / 24 fps instead of 30 fps.

JPV60

Reaction score
This is interesting... I just shot some more footage 4K/30fps. Brought it into iMovie then right up to YouTube via "Share"... reads as 24fps. Frankly at this point I have to check everything! For a moment I thought it might be the phone camera (LG G6) shooting 24 even though I have it set for 30.

For a test, I imported a clip from the phone to FCP 10.4.4 and sure enough, it reads as 30! I then went back to iMovie and used its "Send Movie to Final Cut Pro" option in the File menu. The clips read as 24!!!

For some invisible reason, iMovie is converting my 30 clips to 24. I was hoping to avoid using FCP as I find it very fast to do videos in iMovie, but this has become ridiculous.

Maybe if I trash the iMovie prefs, this would reset things? Very frustrating.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the video editing / software discussion forum. :)

JPV60

Reaction score
Just trashed the iMovie prefs, started a new project, brought in 4k/30 clips and still, Apple still thinks it's best to use 24 leaving me no choice. Thanks Apple!

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
see if you can find something like "export settings" in places like preferences/options ,.,.,.,..,also , is this causing any visual problems? whats the video/channel name?

JPV60

Reaction score
I think with iMovie there are no export settings like the ones you mention regarding frame rate which is really unfortunate, it would solve this issue easily. Here's my new channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmIHHmkjNLS2Dng_d-erWmg/

It is the 2 most recent videos where iMovie has decided on 24fps for me.

There actually is a visual hiccup, that's what made me even look in to this... at 6:00 into this recent video there's a dolly shot that appears slightly jerky, I think this is due to the footage shot at 30 and then being converted to 24:

I suppose one solution would just be to shoot everything at 24 or to start using a different editor. Frankly I'd just rather find out why iMovie is doing this 30 > 24 conversion on its own.