My first proper video - feedback?

Jeppe

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just fired up my gaming channel with this video:

Now, obviously i would LOVE your feedback. Specifically i would love to know:

1. Is the video too long? I was aiming between 15-29 minutes. This video is 29 because it covers a lot of ground, the next ones in the series will be shorter.

2. Is my voice annoying?

3. I sometimes feel the volume "spikes" and hands off sharp "s" sounds. Can you confirm this, or this this just in my head? And should i fix it?

4. I have letterboxing. I am very new, but i think it because i record on an ultra-wide 4k monitor, and then the aspect ratio get wrecked when i export it out into 1080p HD for youTube. Should i fix it? If so, how? Or doesn't it matter since more and more people are moving to these monitors (and if you watch it on a widescreen, it will fit and not show letter boxing).

5. All in all - what do you think?

Thanks everyone, and thanks for having this awesome community!

MudanTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Okay, I'm not that big on these kinds of games but I'll try my best to give some advice.
1. The video does seem a bit long but it's kinda like a tutorial so I understand that you can't do something shorter
2. Your voice isn't annoying, I actually liked it, you have a good mic and it's nice listening to it.
3. Couldn't really feel the folume spikes.
4. I would fix the layout since youtube shows videos in normal widescreen and I don't think people are moving to ultra widescreen any time soon. Sadly I don't know how to fix it unless you manually set your monitor resolution to something smaller since you can't edit it after you record since it will just crop.
5. All in all it seemed pretty okay for a tutorialish video

Valerik

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Jeppe,

The video is quite long, but you could split it into 2 or even 3 parts, it will work a lot better. Most people, even if interested will most likely not stay for soo long. Tutorial videos should be quite short as most people just want answers to their questions and go play again. With a let's play you could do a 15-20min video.

I like your voice, it is relaxing and enjoyable, really makes the video much better and more engaging. Do not worry about it, most people do not like their own voice. After editing 10 videos or so, you will get used to it and even enjoy your own voice ;)

I do not really hear much wrong with the quality of the video. Of course it could be slightly improved, however I really would not have noticed anything or tried hear for something strange if you were to not have said anything.

You really really need to increase the size of the webcam, it is very hard to see you and thus removes the whole purpose of it ;) Also put a nice simple border around it to differentiate it a bit more from the video.

The aspect ration does need to be changed, because the vast vast majority of people has not changed to the wider screen and might never do so. Also youtube will probably still show the black borders on a wider screen (have not tested that, but 90% sure), so it will still not look very pleasing. Mkae sure you fix it, because even if a few people have changed their monitor, the majority has not and that is the viewership that you will loose, and it won't be good.

I would possibly make an outro screen or something, but at least make sure to add some end of video cards or annotations to other videos when you make them, as well as a card for viewers to subscribe.

Add your social media links to the description so that your subscribers can connect with you and you can update them more easily, as well as a link to subscribe to the channel and if you use any music, a link to it as well.

Use program such as Paint.NET or GIMP to creat some nice avatar and banner art for the channel. Not over the top and not generic. Make something personalised that will stand out. You can also make some thumbnails with those same programs, but do not just put writings on the thumbnails, try to use pictures, they can convay much more with more simplicity and more professionalism.

Hope that helps :D

Jeppe

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not that big on these kinds of games but I'll try my best to give some advice.
1. The video does seem a bit long but it's kinda like a tutorial so I understand that you can't do something shorter
2. Your voice isn't annoying, I actually liked it, you have a good mic and it's nice listening to it.
3. Couldn't really feel the folume spikes.
4. I would fix the layout since youtube shows videos in normal widescreen and I don't think people are moving to ultra widescreen any time soon. Sadly I don't know how to fix it unless you manually set your monitor resolution to something smaller since you can't edit it after you record since it will just crop.
5. All in all it seemed pretty okay for a tutorialish video
Thank you very much! :)

Jeppe

Reaction score
Hey Jeppe,

The video is quite long, but you could split it into 2 or even 3 parts, it will work a lot better. Most people, even if interested will most likely not stay for soo long. Tutorial videos should be quite short as most people just want answers to their questions and go play again. With a let's play you could do a 15-20min video.

I like your voice, it is relaxing and enjoyable, really makes the video much better and more engaging. Do not worry about it, most people do not like their own voice. After editing 10 videos or so, you will get used to it and even enjoy your own voice ;)

I do not really hear much wrong with the quality of the video. Of course it could be slightly improved, however I really would not have noticed anything or tried hear for something strange if you were to not have said anything.

You really really need to increase the size of the webcam, it is very hard to see you and thus removes the whole purpose of it ;) Also put a nice simple border around it to differentiate it a bit more from the video.

The aspect ration does need to be changed, because the vast vast majority of people has not changed to the wider screen and might never do so. Also youtube will probably still show the black borders on a wider screen (have not tested that, but 90% sure), so it will still not look very pleasing. Mkae sure you fix it, because even if a few people have changed their monitor, the majority has not and that is the viewership that you will loose, and it won't be good.

I would possibly make an outro screen or something, but at least make sure to add some end of video cards or annotations to other videos when you make them, as well as a card for viewers to subscribe.

Add your social media links to the description so that your subscribers can connect with you and you can update them more easily, as well as a link to subscribe to the channel and if you use any music, a link to it as well.

Use program such as Paint.NET or GIMP to creat some nice avatar and banner art for the channel. Not over the top and not generic. Make something personalised that will stand out. You can also make some thumbnails with those same programs, but do not just put writings on the thumbnails, try to use pictures, they can convay much more with more simplicity and more professionalism.

Hope that helps :D
Thanks a lot for all the advice, i will definately start working on it ASAP!

Next video will be better! Thanks mate!

Reactions: Valerik