Is updating any meta data/thumbnails on old videos worthwhile?

KTP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If this has been asked and answered already, I apologize.

But does it make sense to update meta-data (title, description, keywords etc) or thumbnail on an old video? Or not so much? I know our channel is too small and in the early stages for it to help, but this is more of a general question not specific to our channel per se.

Thanks!

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I recently updated all the tags and thumbnails for my series of Guitar Medleys and have seen a rise in views on two the videos (there is ten total), whether I that's due to me updating them or the peaks and valleys of YouTube I don't know, but there could be a correlation. I'd suggest that if you have the time then there isn't any harm in updating them and it may be worth testing out. I changed them mainly out of micromanagement and the fact that I'm a perfectionist.

Reactions: KTP

KTP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I recently updated all the tags and thumbnails for my series of Guitar Medleys and have seen a rise in views on two the videos (there is ten total), whether I that's due to me updating them or the peaks and valleys of YouTube I don't know, but there could be a correlation. I'd suggest that if you have the time then there isn't any harm in updating them and it may be worth testing out. I changed them mainly out of micromanagement and the fact that I'm a perfectionist.
Cool, thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thumbnails may be a good idea when you want to update the overall look of your channel. For example, from a photo to a png cutout of the main elements on a bright background (I'm sure you've seen those). In this case it's best to have your videos follow a theme so when a potential sub scrolls, they get a feel for what the channel is about. Seo wise, I generally find that once a video has had its day, and is laid to rest, let it rest. No point wasting time digging it up.

MrDooney

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
No not really. Unless the video had a lot of potential, and you think it didn't receive attention because of the thumbnail. I like to look back on old videos to see how my thumbnails progressed :)

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I update meta-data during the first day of the life of my video, some time I do it till video 7 days old not later then that. Unless you buy AdWords for old video is nothing you can do to improve traffic on it. It is always option to re-upload it again.