Is this Company legit?

KingRay111

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I recently got a copyright claim for using the Seinfeld Theme Song in one of my videos, it was claimed by some company under the name of: [Merlin] IDOL Distribution On behalf of: Playtime
I am wondering if this claim is legitimate seeing as there are so many "copyright trolls" on Youtube these days. I feel that this is not legitimate because the Seinfeld Series was made almost 20 years ago (last episode published in 1998), and unless Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David themselves are a part of this company, they have no right to claim it, which i have very large amounts of doubt that he has any associations with this company.

I would like anyone's thoughts and information on this and whether or not i should dispute the claim (if this really is a troll).

Here is a screenshot of the claim on Youtube:
Screenshot (16).png

P.S. If you need anymore information on this, please reply to this thread or PM me, thank you.

My Dixie ReKt

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I recently got a copyright claim for using the Seinfeld Theme Song in one of my videos, it was claimed by some company under the name of: [Merlin] IDOL Distribution On behalf of: Playtime
I am wondering if this claim is legitimate seeing as there are so many "copyright trolls" on Youtube these days. I feel that this is not legitimate because the Seinfeld Series was made almost 20 years ago (last episode published in 1998), and unless Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David themselves are a part of this company, they have no right to claim it, which i have very large amounts of doubt that he has any associations with this company.

I would like anyone's thoughts and information on this and whether or not i should dispute the claim (if this really is a troll).

Here is a screenshot of the claim on Youtube:
View attachment 38754

P.S. If you need anymore information on this, please reply to this thread or PM me, thank you.
If you feel unsure about it file a dispute dude?

Reactions: KingRay111

KingRay111

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you feel unsure about it file a dispute dude?
Im looking to see if anyone has knowledge about this company, i dont want to file a dispute just because i feel its not legitmate, i want to KNOW its not legitimate.

DearDarcy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
They arnt legit, once put a copyright on one on my songs that i had created myself on guitar and just done a 1 minute clip about, looked them up and apparentely they do it lot, its all on Google... just google the name : )

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@DearDarcy Sorry to disappoint you; but Merlin is a legit Rights Management Agency with a full listing in the UK Companies House. I've been following them for two years now. They hold many sub-licensors under their wide umbrella.

@KingRay111 How in the world did you think you could get away with using the Seinfeld theme? That program is still under active syndication in not only the US, but some foreign countries too! That means the copyright on all elements is being maintained by the production company; and all living actors involved in the show are still garnering residual income from it.

Last edited:

DearDarcy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
@DearDarcy Sorry to disappoint you; but Merlin is a legit Rights Management Agency with a full listing in the UK Companies House. I've been following them for two years now. They hold many sub-licensors under their wide umbrella.

@KingRay111 How in the world did you think you could get away with using the Seinfeld theme? That program is still under syndication in not only the US, but some foreign countries too! That means the copyright on all elements is being maintained by the production company; and all living actors involved in the show are still garnering residual income from it.
Are you sure your not thinking of Merlin? as in merlin entertainment.. Or Merlin Network? There all different companys, there is Legit merlin companies but theres also fakes that just copyright claim anything, my friend was legit just talking in her video (literally sat there talking ) and they claimed her with 3 different Merlin accounts apparentely,

as i said.. I owned all copyright, thankfully they pulled out as i disputed but still, was a hassle.

But its literally all over google and Youtube when you type it in... They have too much bad attention for it to all be lies.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Let me be the first to ask- what difference does it make since you clearly don't own the proper rights yourself?

Whether they own the rights or not (still unclear) shouldn't really matter since, even if they don't, it's only a matter of time before the proper owners (or the owners of any of the other countless tracks you've used without permission) flag you.

KingRay111

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Let me be the first to ask- what difference does it make since you clearly don't own the proper rights yourself?

Whether they own the rights or not (still unclear) shouldn't really matter since, even if they don't, it's only a matter of time before the proper owners (or the owners of any of the other countless tracks you've used without permission) flag you.
I'm fine with the claim if the actual creators flagged it, but if some random "company" that claims it with no right to do so, and possibly gain money from it (and many others that they do this to), that is not right.
Also, if i remove the song/all sound, from that clip, would that remove the claim?

Reactions: DearDarcy

KingRay111

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes, that's why they give you that option.
Ill just do that then and be more careful, that part of the video honestly wasn't that great in the first place.
Thanks everyone for your help!